Ok, so UG and all the other tab sites do not have punk bass lessons and all the ****ing music shops in my city dont have a how to play punk bass lesson book so im asking every bassist in UG to come together and make the ultimate "how to play punk bass lesson"

basically everyone who knows how to play punk bass post lessons, exercises, how to improv, best keys, etc. so everyone who has no clue how to play punk...CAN
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
i was expecting it to start with some sort of lesson

you should have put something in the beginning or no one will post helpful things, they'll just say

"duh pound root notes" or "uhm, use a pick" and this thread will then go down the drain fast
chris #2.

learn him, oberve him, study him, BE him.

only then will you be able to play punk bass.
**RIP In the Van on the Comeback Road**

Quote by confusius
You're going to have to go to the doctor. He is going to ram his finger up your ass and the rest you can imagine. It will be severly painful you are most likely to die in the process. Enjoy.
Actually, I'd recommend listening to Hunter from AFI, Matt Freeman from Operation Ivy/Rancid or JJ Burnel from the Stranglers, but that's just me.
Go back to where it all started.....
attempt to emulate sid Vicious's technique and playing ability and you are well on the way to becoming the best bassest u can be....

Just kidding
Rise Againsts bassist lays down some nice lines, look to him and the bassist from rancid for some punk playing lessons
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
Quote by Charlatan_001
Actually, I'd recommend listening to Hunter from AFI, Matt Freeman from Operation Ivy/Rancid or JJ Burnel from the Stranglers, but that's just me.

Agreed.
"When i've got the music
I've got a place to go"

Quote by watchingmefall
Goog luck killing everybody at VH1.

Member #37 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!
Quote by 14shadesofblue
Ok, so UG and all the other tab sites do not have punk bass lessons and all the ****ing music shops in my city dont have a how to play punk bass lesson book so im asking every bassist in UG to come together and make the ultimate "how to play punk bass lesson"

basically everyone who knows how to play punk bass post lessons, exercises, how to 1)improv, 2)best keys, etc. 3)so everyone who has no clue how to play punk...CAN

1) punk is all about the passion so it doesn't matter how hard or easy the stuff you play is aslong as you feel it

2) theres no such thing as a best key, C major is no better or worse than Bb mixodlydian, just stay clear of the locrian mode as the diminsihed fifth in the scale will sound disonant with powerchords because of their root, perfect fifth, octave structure.

3) punk has no rules on how it should sound because it's all about the passion and the attitude, play some ****ing beethoven if you want and as long as you give off the right vibe while playing it it will be punk
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Listen some punk rock music, try to get outta your head the sounds and writte them down (yep this sound like "learn to put better ear to music" or etc etc) play that, look for the tab, compare, understand those that you just wrote and the original one, after that try to make your own, then congrats, your one hella punk music playar :P
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
What's the old quote from the 70s?:

" This is a chord, this is another, this is a third. Now form a band"

That's punk.

That may be simplistic. Bass punk playing is the engine that drives the sound, even if sometimes it drives it completely off the cliff. It and the drums provide the driving drone that lay the foundation for thrash of the guitarist. This can be as minimalist as Dee Dee Ramone's grinds or as melodic as JJ Burnell, or back to rock roots like X's John Doe. The point of punk is to be DIY--emphasis on yourself. Make it your own, even if it is just three chords and driving root notes.

As for techniques. To me Punk is a classic Precision bass sound with sharp highs, no mids and even lows. Pick is preferred to get the sharp attack sound. Keep your hand loose but in control of the pick to get the best and fastest attack.
Last edited by anarkee at Dec 4, 2007,
Quote by aleckillscobra
chris #2.

learn him, oberve him, study him, BE him.

only then will you be able to play punk bass.

Amen, aleckillscobra, amen.
To TS, Alec is talking about Chris #2, the bassist of Anti-Flag. And if you can sing and play "Bring Out Your Dead" I will mail you a cookie.
ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS