No more than 500

I was thinking Blackout Telecaster

Don't have the money for a rickenbacker
wtf is "folk punk"? I'm visualizing a guy with a mohawk and tight jeans sitting under a blooming oak tree in spring, playing power chords constantly and singing about how bad times are a comin'.

That doesn't seem to work for me. Folk sings about bad times that are a-comin'. Punk sings about the bad times that are here.

Folk Punk = HAHA.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
I love folk punk, and you're basically looking for something to strum clean stuff on right? The tele would be a good choice but I'd go with the standard single/sinlge config.

and here is some folk punk for those of you who are baffled
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjVtR2sSFfU
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Quote by yeahyeah
I love folk punk, and you're basically looking for something to strum clean stuff on right? The tele would be a good choice but I'd go with the standard single/sinlge config.

and here is some folk punk for those of you who are baffled
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjVtR2sSFfU

Is that supposed to represent it in a good light?

'Cause I'm pretty sure it didn't help your case =D
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue

yup, I love that stuff with all my heart. And it's opinion so it doesn't matter, most of the bands you listen to are **** too
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Seriously, folk punk is one of the best genres out there. This Bike is a Pipe Bomb, Ghost Mice, Defiance Ohio, old Against Me, etc, are all amazing bands. But anyway, definitely a telecaster.
I'm not a punk rock hero and you're no fairy princess, just 'cause you're beautiful and I've got a stupid haircut.
Against me is amazing. Definitely buy the tele

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
The 'folk punk' in that video shouldn't even be called music...

Ridiculous....

Blackout Tele is a decent guitar though...
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
Quote by mck_776
The 'folk punk' in that video shouldn't even be called music...

Ridiculous....

Blackout Tele is a decent guitar though...

The quality in that video is pretty bad, but the recorded cd version of anything by Defiance, Ohio is great.
I'm not a punk rock hero and you're no fairy princess, just 'cause you're beautiful and I've got a stupid haircut.
Wow, see a pattern with the join date of all those acting like idiots in this thread? Anyway...another vote for the tele from me.
Don't go with the Blackout Tele, it sounds more Les Paul-ish. It's nice, but it's not what you're looking for. I'd reccomend some kind of cheaper Gretsch, like a Jet or something. Teles or strats are fine too, just make sure they're the single coil kind.
Quote by pENTAcUBE
Wow, see a pattern with the join date of all those acting like idiots in this thread? Anyway...another vote for the tele from me.

Yes, I joined in august. And I've been on these forums for years. And I wrote the Stevie Ray Vaughan sticky thread. So, what I'm trying to say is stfu and quit generalizing.

Here's the thing...with the video that you provided, there seems to be practically no audible music whatsoever. I hear a snare drum in an almost military style rhythm, and a whole bunch of guys screaming. And I'm expected to give intelligible advice on what kind of electric guitar should be used in the genre?

Properly stated...please, I would prefer a viable example of this genre so I can reccomend a guitar, if you would be so kind.
-Jim Morrison
Man, SlinkyBlue knows what he's talking about, give the man some respect, to hell with join dates. Folk punk sounds like a gimmick to me, having grown up with actual punk bands (Rancid, Op Iv, Minor Threat etc.). Musical preferences aside, I'd just like to throw out there something other than "telecaster." Check out hollow and semi-hollows, sounds like they should cover your needs, most people have terrible prejudices against them, but check them out.
My attempt at gear-
Fender Jaguar (limited edition Cream with gold hardware.)
Goya Rangemaster (1967 Italian Archtop)
Martin SWDGT Acoustic.
Vox AD50VT.
Ibanez Tubescreamer, Wasabi Delay, MXR BLUE BOX.
haha in the vid at 1:49 the guy brushing his hair and looking into the camera shyly

great

slinky, you were right about the military drum. it's present in virtually any flogging molly song i've ever heard as well. are they considered folk punk?

folk punk makes me think of bob dylan with rotten teeth.. lol
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by bornfidelity

folk punk makes me think of bob dylan with rotten teeth.. lol

That's sig worthy...someone get it! =)

I like my siggy though. So it's open.
-Jim Morrison
I had to stop and see what folk punk is. 2 words that probably shouldnt be in the same sentence together. Im guessing that whoever come up with it is to young to actually know what punk is. Folk music is nothing close to punk. I have a picture of bob dylan smashing his guitar and telling everybody they suck. Whats next retro newwave. Or maybe celine dion sings black sabbath.
Quote by Tackleberry
I had to stop and see what folk punk is. 2 words that probably shouldnt be in the same sentence together. Im guessing that whoever come up with it is to young to actually know what punk is. Folk music is nothing close to punk. I have a picture of bob dylan smashing his guitar and telling everybody they suck. Whats next retro newwave. Or maybe celine dion sings black sabbath.

It does sound strange at first but when you think about it it isn't so crazy
*both genres employ simple song structure, often based on 3 chords
*punk and folk were both born out of a discontent working class
*punk and folk are usually pro-union/leftist
*highly political
*anti authoritarian/fascist sentiment is common in both

^and those are generalizations btw
Quote by Tackleberry
Im guessing that whoever come up with it is to young to actually know what punk is.

try telling that to Billy Bragg

Quote by CowsWithGuns
Do they use things like Keyboards and stuff? Because my perception of Folk-Anything is tainted because of how much I listen to Folk-Metal.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Yes, I joined in august. And I've been on these forums for years. And I wrote the Stevie Ray Vaughan sticky thread. So, what I'm trying to say is stfu and quit generalizing.

Here's the thing...with the video that you provided, there seems to be practically no audible music whatsoever. I hear a snare drum in an almost military style rhythm, and a whole bunch of guys screaming. And I'm expected to give intelligible advice on what kind of electric guitar should be used in the genre?

Properly stated...please, I would prefer a viable example of this genre so I can reccomend a guitar, if you would be so kind.

what was the point of posting in this thread? The OP asked for advice on gear, not your narrow impression of his preferred genre. I don't care that you were so 1337 that you got a sticky, you simply generalized an entire genre and trashed it based on a youtube clip. GG now gtfo.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Wow, can we help someone out instead of being an arrogant douche? Please.

A telecaster would be fine in your case. Those Danelectros should be alright too.
Quote by pugnapugnapugna
Wow, can we help someone out instead of being an arrogant douche? Please.

A telecaster would be fine in your case. Those Danelectros should be alright too.

oooh, I always forget about those, awesome guitars. Not as versatile as a tele but they would be great for TS if he digs the jangly Ric sound
Quote by CowsWithGuns
Quote by pENTAcUBE
what was the point of posting in this thread? The OP asked for advice on gear, not your narrow impression of his preferred genre. I don't care that you were so 1337 that you got a sticky, you simply generalized an entire genre and trashed it based on a youtube clip. GG now gtfo.

I can't help too much when the best representation of the genre is a bunch of drunk half naked people screaming, can I? I can't even hear a guitar in the song. Thus...I'd like a better representation of what these "polk funk" people consider to be truely a good representation of what kind of sound he wants. I still haven't gotten one. Too much to ask?

Good try, now GTFO.

/end thread hijack

To the OP- It seems like the greater portion of Folk Punk UG's response to the telecaster was generally accepted as the best choice...based on what I've seen from the responses, I'd say go for the tele, as there's not many other people, who know what they are talking about, who say otherwise...
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at Dec 4, 2007,
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I can't help too much when the best representation of the genre is a bunch of drunk half naked people screaming, can I? I can't even hear a guitar in the song. Thus...I'd like a better representation of what these "polk funk" people consider to be truely a good representation of what kind of sound he wants. I still haven't gotten one. Too much to ask?

Good try, now GTFO.

/end thread hijack

To the OP- It seems like the greater portion of Folk Punk UG's response to the telecaster was generally accepted as the best choice...based on my observations from the responses, I'd say go for the tele, as there's not many other people, who know what they are talking about, who say otherwise...

So you didn't have a good representation of the genre. And you decided to post on the subject why?

P.S. OP, after listening to a few more rise against songs I would actually recommend a strat. While the tele would do just as well, if you decided to move away from folk punk, it would offer more flexibility.
Last edited by pENTAcUBE at Dec 4, 2007,
Quote by pENTAcUBE
So you didn't have a good representation of the genre. And you decided to post on the subject why?

I wanted to help. But no more man, we'll get in trouble for arguing. Xfir is watching us...always...
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I wanted to help. But no more man, we'll get in trouble for arguing. Xfir is watching us...always...

apologies for being part of a flame war, don't know what came over me, but anyway...OP consider my previous post.
Quote by pENTAcUBE

P.S. OP, after listening to a few more rise against songs I would actually recommend a strat. While the tele would do just as well, if you decided to move away from folk punk, it would offer more flexibility.

rise against folk punk? O_O

well anyway, danelectros are good and cheap and they rock, so, yeah

(although you should consider that they don't have an adjustable truss rod, God knows why)
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73