Page 1 of 2
How often does everyone use those extra two frets on a 24 fret guitar? I'm in the process of deciding on a new guitar. I could get a used 1990's RR Pro for about $800, or a Jackson Stars RR with 24 frets for about $1,300. I mean, is it really worth that extra $500 for 2 more frets?
I use 24 all the time. In fact, I hate using 22 fret guitars. I can't quickly hit the high notes i want when I screw around.
I hate people. Especially black people.
even if you aren't hitting the 23rd or 24th fret, it's easier to hit those higher frets on a 24 fret guitar vs. a 22 fret guitar IMO
Quote by Johnny Two Tone
Why not just get a Jackson RR24 and call it a day?

Because 1. I don't like the neck on the RR24.
2. It only has 1 pickup
and 3. Complete Alexi rip off.
I like the fret spacing better on a 24, it just feels more natural to me. I cant stand 22 fret guitars anymore.
“I used to be made fun of because I’d stay alone at home on weekends and play the guitar, but once I got good on the guitar, I got all the pussy I wanted"-EVH

Schcter C-1 Classic - Emg 81/85 @ 18 Volts
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 POD XT Live
fret spacing depends on the scale length not on the number of frets but a 24 fret guitar is likely to be a longer scale length anyway
Quote by Nutman69
i think ur gonna get flamed pretty bad.

Gear:
Peavey 5150 Combo
LTD MH-1000 NT
Schecter 007 Elite
Line 6 Pod XT Live
i personally like the 22, but maybe its just me

it depends on what ur playin too, if its metal nd really hard rock, then the extra 2
might be the way to go, i'll admit that the 2 extra frets costing 500 more is a rip
off, but if you dont want to spend it you can always just bend 22 to 23 or 24 nd
call it good
Oh, sorry for not posting some influences and stuff.

Randy Rhoads, Death, Old Man's Child, Dimmu Borgir, Kalmah, Wintersun, Norther, Ensiferum, Evergrey, Adagio, Mors Principium Est, Children of Bodom, Cadacross, Sinergy, etc.
You act as if all you're getting extra from the Stars is two frets. I have no doubt that the Stars would be a higher-quality guitar.
Quote by fixationdarknes
You act as if all you're getting extra from the Stars is two frets. I have no doubt that the Stars would be a higher-quality guitar.

Well, there's two things better with the Stars. First is the 24 frets, and second is the alder body. The RR Pro has a poplar body. Both are MIJ, but the RR Pro is one of the most sought after imported guitars. Besides, raising $1,300 isn't that easy when you're getting $250-280 pay checks biweekly and with bills.
then i would just save up nd get the 24 fret, i know its hard to save up trust me i had to save up for my guitar now for a long time $140 average a week for paycheck plus bills nd **** mine is only like $300 but it plays nice, nd im still saving for something better, if you play music like that, you can always get like a cheap bolt on strat or something nd change the neck from this company that makes 21, 22, nd 24 fret necks for bolt ons, but it would sound like ****, so i'd do it just as a last resort, but my advice just save up nd over time u'll have enough money to buy it
actually to make it perfectly clear i wouldnt do that as a last resort, if i did, i would probably have to smash the guitar, nd then kill myself haha
actually to make it perfectly clear i wouldnt do that as a last resort, if i did, i would probably have to smash the guitar, nd then kill myself haha
i always find myself using those 2 frets.
Even if you never do use them have those extra frets would make it easier for you to reach the 21-22 fret then on a 22 fret guitar.Atleast i think so.
Just bend a step at the 22nd fret.

If thats not high enough, tune higher. If you can't for some strange reason, use more of the fretboard.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Quote by ozzybob
even if you aren't hitting the 23rd or 24th fret, it's easier to hit those higher frets on a 24 fret guitar vs. a 22 fret guitar IMO

Quote by crzywhiteboy
i always find myself using those 2 frets.
Even if you never do use them have those extra frets would make it easier for you to reach the 21-22 fret then on a 22 fret guitar.Atleast i think so.

Why does everyone keep saying that? On RR guitars the two frets of a 24-fret guitar are just further down the body, so it wouldn't make any difference at all for frets 21 and 22. It just gives you the option of going even further down and playing two more frets.

Quote by Vittu0666

Well, there's two things better with the Stars. First is the 24 frets, and second is the alder body. The RR Pro has a poplar body. Both are MIJ, but the RR Pro is one of the most sought after imported guitars. Besides, raising $1,300 isn't that easy when you're getting $250-280 pay checks biweekly and with bills.

Hm...alright sounds good then. For me I was actually kind of debating the same thing for a while, but ending up getting the special edition LTD Alexi model, that is better than the standard LTD Alexi-600's. Otherwise I might have gotten the Stars. For me I would never be satisfied with a 22-fret guitar, but only because I practice a lot of Bodom solos, and Alexi goes up to the 24th fret all the time. So, it depends on your needs. Just don't get the RR Pro if you're going to end up regretting your decision and being sad that you don't have the extra two frets. I mean, that way you might end up just eventually getting a Stars anyway. But if you have no specific use for 24 frets, than the RR Pro sounds fine. I dunno man, you yourself will know best. It's just different for each person, and you'll merely have to think about what songs you play, plan to play, or your playing style in general. All up to you bra. Good luck.
how about 27 frets LOL

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
i prefer a warmer neck pu tone, so 22 frets for me.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
I prefer 22.
Usually 24 frets have bolt on necks and because of the area where they bolt on, its usually harder to play in that area. it sticks out like a bitch at the back and u cant wrap you're hands around it. Whereas my 22fretter glued on is awesome to play everywhere

Epiphone g400 vs Jackson Dk2m

The Jackson is a nicer guitar, with way better electronics but i just love the feel of my 22 fretter
Quote by henza_x

Usually 24 frets have bolt on necks and because of the area where they bolt on, its usually harder to play in that area. it sticks out like a bitch at the back and u cant wrap you're hands around it. Whereas my 22fretter glued on is awesome to play everywhere

It seems that you prefer set necks than bolt ons, rather than 22 and 24. And btw, 24 fret neck thru guitars arent that uncommon. (Jackson Soloists)
In my experience, you end up losing a little tone from the neck pickup since it is pushed closer to the bridge to make room for the extra frets. Something else to think about.
Actually it is more common for 21-22 Fret guitars to have bolt-on necks, as in almost every Fender guitar made. Also the scale length for 21-22 Fret guitar necks tends to be longer, again because of Fender having a longer guitar length.

That being said, there is no real major requirement to the difference between the two fret amounts. There is a tendency for 24 Fret guitars to have better upper neck access, but it isn't a requirement. There is absolutely no reason to base a guitar decision off this one factor unless every single other factor is exactly the same (as in it is the same guitar in every way except fret count).

If you are actually playing that high up on the neck that you use those two frets, you actually would probably be better off looking into using another instrument to play that part anyways.
Quote by fixationdarknes
Hm...alright sounds good then. For me I was actually kind of debating the same thing for a while, but ending up getting the special edition LTD Alexi model, that is better than the standard LTD Alexi-600's. Otherwise I might have gotten the Stars. For me I would never be satisfied with a 22-fret guitar, but only because I practice a lot of Bodom solos, and Alexi goes up to the 24th fret all the time. So, it depends on your needs. Just don't get the RR Pro if you're going to end up regretting your decision and being sad that you don't have the extra two frets. I mean, that way you might end up just eventually getting a Stars anyway. But if you have no specific use for 24 frets, than the RR Pro sounds fine. I dunno man, you yourself will know best. It's just different for each person, and you'll merely have to think about what songs you play, plan to play, or your playing style in general. All up to you bra. Good luck.

I guess I did a poor job at explaining why I'm looking for a new guitar. I have a Jackson DKMG Dinky (which has 24 frets for those non-Jackson guys). I have it tuned down a step down, which is the guitar I use to play Bodom, Kalmah, Death, etc. It was also the guitar I used to play in my old band where everything was tuned down 1 step. For a while this was my only guitar, so I never had a guitar in standard. I want this guitar so I have a guitar in standard, and because I've began writing in standard as well. I've started 2 bands, a Melodic Black metal band and a Melodic Death metal band. I chose standard tuning because the other guitar players and bassists in each band both use standard tuning.
Quote by rg_metal
how about 27 frets LOL

I was actually considering that for a while, but I decided no because it cost a little more than the Stars and I don't think I'd use that extra minor 3rd.
Quote by rg_metal
how about 27 frets LOL

LOL U FUNNEH

I would much rather a 22 set neck than a 24 bolt on. I can't stand 21 fret Fenders, though. I don't know why they don't just add another fret.
Quote by AngelOfHatred
LOL U FUNNEH

I would much rather a 22 set neck than a 24 bolt on. I can't stand 21 fret Fenders, though. I don't know why they don't just add another fret.

You get a warmer tone from the neck pup with 21 frets (assumin the pickup spacing is different for 21 fret necks), which is pretty important when you're using single coils.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
i use the 24th fret as a solo end or a realy high bend
sometines my scales go high enough i NEED the 24th fret, but its not often...im used to 22
but 24 is an added bonus
I bought a guitar on ebay for $850 that lists for around $2300. I had to shop for about 6 months, but I got what I wanted for a reasonable price.

You could do even better if you were willing to buy used. I would consider that if I was seriously trying to live on $500 per month.
Quote by The 1
Where were you planning to get the stars from?

If I could figure out how to navigate around the site, the probably Ishibashi or Ikake. If all else fails, then probably Guitar Japan.com.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
You get a warmer tone from the neck pup with 21 frets (assumin the pickup spacing is different for 21 fret necks), which is pretty important when you're using single coils.

Correct me if im wrong, but i think the neck pickup position on a 21 and 22 fret strat is the same. As for the 22 fretter, its just an overhang.
i have an Ibanez GSA60 (22 frets)
and an Ibanez RG350EX (24 frets)
so i have recently experince both, i really don´t use those extra frets on my RG but they make it easy to get to those higher frets, so if you like metal, rock, or those styles that makes a lot of solos, i think is better to have 24 frets, even if you are not going to use them
Quote by barcelona_rov
i have an Ibanez GSA60 (22 frets)
and an Ibanez RG350EX (24 frets)
so i have recently experince both, i really don´t use those extra frets on my RG but they make it easy to get to those higher frets, so if you like metal, rock, or those styles that makes a lot of solos, i think is better to have 24 frets, even if you are not going to use them

Thing is though, fret access is the same on both a 22 and a 24 fret Rhoads V. I think I'm starting to lean more towards the 22 because of the price. Yes I've always been dying for a Professional grade 24 fret Rhoads V. If I were to buy the Stars, then I wouldn't really have anything to look forward to. I dunno. I'm still debating it with myself.
Page 1 of 2