Anyway this may sound silly but I'm in a dilema. I wanted to invest in some cheap acoustic guitar and as I read the forum's I came to a conclusion. Yamaha fg700s.
But some guy told me that this guitar is not made for soloing but only for chords because the body doesn't have the curve in the bottom that some other acoustic guitar's have and that almost every eletric guitar have.
Anyway is this true? Will there be a problem for me to solo in this guitar?
If this is true propose me a guitar in the same money zone.
Thanks in advance.
Um yeah it kind of will but just remeber you can play anything in any position realy, though sometimes it sounds better to heat notes up at the 15th fret etc. The curve is there to make room for electronics in plug in models it actualy detracts from the sound.

The most important thing i've found for soloing on acoustics is low action (height of strings) and having an unwound g string which i have to ask for specificaly and no pack of strings i've ever bought comes with it but i've got one on now that seems to have lasted me like 6 months which is great.
Quote by dungeon
Anyway this may sound silly but I'm in a dilema. I wanted to invest in some cheap acoustic guitar and as I read the forum's I came to a conclusion. Yamaha fg700s.
But some guy told me that this guitar is not made for soloing but only for chords because the body doesn't have the curve in the bottom that some other acoustic guitar's have and that almost every eletric guitar have.
Anyway is this true? Will there be a problem for me to solo in this guitar?
If this is true propose me a guitar in the same money zone.
Thanks in advance.

you can solo on any acoustic guitar. that little curve at the bottom is called a cutaway, and its only purpose is to make it easier for you to play higher up the neck. I have a cutaway, and it comes in handy sometimes, but I honestly don't spend much time at all up there.

so a cutaway isn't essential to soloing.

but no matter what acoustic you get, it's not going to play the same as an electric.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
I researched and I found YAMAHA APX500. I think its cutaway right?
It cost's 80 euros more, is it worth it?
if you like the acoustic without the cutaway, get it, i dont have a cutaway, and i solo all the time, i dont use the 16 through 19 frets hardly ever so it shouldnt matter too much.

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
Quote by Aesop_Rock
Um yeah it kind of will but just remeber you can play anything in any position realy, though sometimes it sounds better to heat notes up at the 15th fret etc. The curve is there to make room for electronics in plug in models it actualy detracts from the sound.

The most important thing i've found for soloing on acoustics is low action (height of strings) and having an unwound g string which i have to ask for specificaly and no pack of strings i've ever bought comes with it but i've got one on now that seems to have lasted me like 6 months which is great.

Nope, nothing to do with making room for the electronics.
The electronic stuff is usually up top where the preamp controls uusally are on an acoustic electric. Logic makes that idea not work, making the volume of the guitar less to fit more in..Huh? lol.

As said you could get a guitar with a cutaway but i find that when soloing on the acoustic i do not go up there anyway. I rarely go beyond the 12th fret, and if so its only momentarily so i make do without the cutaway. Of course if you intend on playing up on the higher frets then your gunna want a cutaway but generally theres not very much sustain up there and i odesnt really sound that great most of the time. Also if you plan on playing electric guitar solos well your a bit out of luck no matter where they are on the fretboard as bending, hammer ons, pull offs and those sort of techniques which are extensively used on the electric guitar are much harder to do properly on an acoustic (this is mainly related to bending).

Also i was never a fan of the sound of the Yamaha APX, they play OK but dont sound great. Obviously if you like it buy it.
thanks a lot for your help people, I think I will stick with the Fg700s.
I don't think you're going to want to solo so much [since you're just starting], I know I didn't, but if you have the money to get an electric and an amp in like 6 months or a year then the acoustic will do just fine without cutaway.

Although, I wish I had cutaway, I play a couple riffs up at like the 9th fret and the body of the guitar makes it uncomfortable.
MY GEAR
Bella
Ibanez Gio
Cube-20X
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Quote by Adz2706
the worst ive seen is a guy kick this other guy in the head repeatedly and had to be taken to hospital in a helicopter

Who the hell would build a Hospital inside of a Helicopter?
9th you say?
does the body of your guitar join at the 10th fret then? or the 12th fret, cos oyur average guitar that joins at the 12th fret you sould have no problem at all on the 9th.

Oh and I say thats probably the best choice with the FG700S
Yeah, there's a little horn under the neck that helps join the neck to the body. The horn starts at the 10th. The neck joins the body at the 12th fret like most though. I would post a pic but it's late and I don't feel like going through the trouble of getting the camera and uploading the pics.
MY GEAR
Bella
Ibanez Gio
Cube-20X
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Quote by Adz2706
the worst ive seen is a guy kick this other guy in the head repeatedly and had to be taken to hospital in a helicopter

On most of the steel strings I have played the the body joins the fretboard at exactly the 14th fret and the heel starts at the 12th fret. On most nylon string guitars it joins at the 12th fret and the heel is at the 10th.
Seeing as I'm on holidays and have time, I'll go take a picture...

Thats how ive seen it on most dreadnaughts.
Is your the same or diff? And is it steel string, nylon string? Also what sort of body shape is it?
I have an electric guitar and an amp. The thing is I love acoustic guitar sound too and I want to have one.
Quote by dungeon
I have an electric guitar and an amp. The thing is I love acoustic guitar sound too and I want to have one.

yeah, a cutaway on an acoustic is simply not very important.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Well it IS handy, but only if you play down the neck. No reason you can't solo in a lower key.
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by dungeon
thanks a lot for your help people, I think I will stick with the Fg700s.

good move. you certainly don't need a cutaway to solo on an acoustic guitar.
Johnos mine is a nylon classic guitar. There's nothing special about the body's shape, it has the shape of a typical classic guitar.
MY GEAR
Bella
Ibanez Gio
Cube-20X
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Quote by Adz2706

Tim Reynolds is a good example of someone soloing on acoustic without the cutaway. Check this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3loMJQJBBE
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by Red Exodus
Johnos mine is a nylon classic guitar. There's nothing special about the body's shape, it has the shape of a typical classic guitar.

Yeah that'd be it. Most steel strings are like the one in the pic i posted. Most nylond strings join the body at the 12th fret
The only acoustic I'd solo on is an electric acoustic with a cutaway so I can reach the higher frets, otherwise I just strum, I don't really see the point in soloing if you can't end off an octave higher
hue