My English teacher wants everyone to write a speech on any problem in my country. He suggested child rights, women rights, racial discrimination or on other minority. I thought The Pit could help me think of a better topic. Anyone got any ideas?
hang on...those are bad things?
jk/but thats the pit style answer you'll more then likely get.
however, keep humour in it. nobody likes hearing a the umpteenth speech that day trying to be serious. take the piss if you must, as long as its tasteful
talk how every country needs a death metal national anthem. or you could write something political bla bla bla which sucks ass..
Quote by -blaze-
talk how every country needs a death metal national anthem. or you could write something political bla bla bla which sucks ass..

+1

ok, maybe not death metal, but metal in general would be nice
The Pit IS smart.... and they're gonna prove it by helping me with my homework!
Try writing about the most unexpected thing possible that is currently an issue. For example, if you were in Germany right now you could address the problem with toads that are spontaniously exploding. You may think that was just something odd to say but it is absolutely true.
Quote by Karvid
You win this thread. And UG. I haven't actually lol'd at a post in a really long time. Thanks for changing that. I expect a sig

He expected this.

Something you definitely need to know
Try something controversial but make sure to have both sides of the argument researched and addressed in the speech. My son won two debates as a 12-year-old. In one he took the position FOR medical marijuana and he argued for the abolishment of the electoral college in the other. Even if you're not in a debate scenario, you have to act as if someone is going to respond to your speech. Good luck!
toads do that now? LOL.

ignore that. Just write a paper on how and why local traditions are dying out due to modernization. Loads of points.
sounds like your teacher gave you an absolutely terrible assignment, why the hell should you give a speach about big issues you don't give a **** about and no one you're speaking to could do anything about anyway? Pick something you're actually interested in and know something about and give a speech on that. And I agree with Slan, make it up beat, funny, and interesting if you can, it's going to be hell sitting through a whole class of forced commentary on issues none of the speakers actually care about.

Unless your teacher is an ass and bad at his job: grading on following directions more than giving a good speech... then you're screwed.
My two cents: read up on whatever topic you choose, and don't actually write a speech. Outline how you want the speech to flow, and write key sentences on note cards. I guarantee that your classmates will just read something, but if you speak from note cards it makes a presentation 400% more enjoyable.

EDIT: I fail to see how it is terrible to know about current events. I think the problem is that nobody does give a **** about big issues, and that's how they never get solved.
Quote by Dabey
My English teacher wants everyone to write a speech on any problem in my country. He suggested child rights, women rights, racial discrimination or on other minority. I thought The Pit could help me think of a better topic. Anyone got any ideas?
I'm not so certain the Pit can help much on this one. I for one, know almost nothing about Nepal. The issues you spoke of sound like good topics for any speech, but I have no idea how big a problem they are.

Other topics:

Poverty.
Lack of industry / technology.
Oppressive government.
Wrong perception of Nepal by others in the world.
Overtaxation.

Are any of those a problem in Nepal?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Complain about there being too many feminists.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Nepal, eh?

All I know is there are a shitload of really big mountains there...

I think the last speech I did in English was whining about how stereotypes are stupid and we shouldn't have them. Maybe you could do that...?