my gutiar pickup format is laid out: Humbucker, single coil, humbucker. are there any active emg pickups that would work with that format. my guitar has a 5 way switch. i no most emg's work only with HH
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
Boss ML-2 Metal core pedal
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
Don't pair EMGs with an MG. The results will be barbaric.

That being said, there's no reason you can't run that layout. Get an EMG single coil sized pickup and put it between 2 humbuckers.
Hi, I'm Peter
i thought the emg 81 and 85 only work with a three way HH format
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
Not that I know of. You should be able to put them in HSH as long as the singlecoil is active as well.

And Dirk Gently is right about your amp...
but on the site it says the emg 81 and 85 only work with a 5 way sitch
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
You can definitely use the 81 with a 5-way switch because they offer it as part of their S/S/81 and SA/SA/81 kits. I'm pretty sure the others would work on a five-way switch too. But just to be safe, email them.

And I'll repeat the bit about the amp. That's the main problem with your tone and the reason you want new pickups. You should look at changing that first
i just got a peavey 6505 combo
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
I would imagine a pickup can be hooked to just about any style switch. A 5 way is only different as it has a extra position for a center pickup. But the EMG 81/85 will have alot more output than a single coil, so output balance could be an issue.
You got a Peavey 6505 combo. I think that'll be great for metal itself. If you want an EMG, go for it.

I think what you need to do is to throw away/destroy your MG if you still have it.

EDIT: I think EMG has single coil actives, right?
Are you looking for a zombie online game?
Join the survivors at Dead Frontier
Coming out March 2008

DON'T GET A MARSHALL MG OR A LINE 6 SPIDER.
Put this in your sig if you don't like the usual threads about these amps.
you can do this but remember two things. 1)you can only wire this in a straight five way run, there is no coil tapping options on the 81 or 85, 2) the sound may be a bit undesirable, I never heard of trying this but it seems with the single coil in there it may make a muddy sound. Not sure
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!