Jester.Race
Banned
50 IQ
Ok, me and a few friends of mine have gotten together to make a band. We have a singer/guitarist, lead guitar, and a drummer. We are auditioning a bassist within the next week or so. The drummer plays pop punk, but is talented. My singer/guitarist is also pretty good, although sticks to mostly chording. He is in to the same vein of music but has been in loads of different styled bands.
We all have a similar taste in pop music, but I like a lot of heavier stuff. How would I start trying to direct things down a heavier path, while still allowing them to keep their pop influences, without them shooting down my ideas ?
kph155
Banned
114 IQ
Get them to listen to heavier music first

And what did you have in mind by "heavy"?
tdrules
UG's Fallout Obsessive
237 IQ
show them stuff such as new still remains, because they are heavy
BUT they have turned much more melodic and poppy now
Still Remains-Dancing With The Enemy
Quote by Td_Nights
*Points to Above Poster*

Best. Username. Ever.

Quote by _-Joey-_
I wish I was gay...

PSN- td_rules Steam- tdrules
Jester.Race
Banned
50 IQ
I just mean a melodic hardcore path, I'm not talking death metal. I'm thinking like, something just a bit outside the norm, but still appealing to the masses.
kph155
Banned
114 IQ
Quote by Jester.Race
I just mean a melodic hardcore path, I'm not talking death metal. I'm thinking like, something just a bit outside the norm, but still appealing to the masses.

Oh....... Well you could make them watch American Hardcore lol
Jester.Race
Banned
50 IQ
Sorry for the double post, I was thinking a not-****ty version of A Day to Remember, Bless The Fall, new found glory's melodies + a touch of screaming and less heart on my sleeve lyrics, etc. Red Jumpsuit, except good (by my standards of such)?
My true passion lies in metal, but I'm not good enough to do it the way I want to, nor are any musicians I know. So I'm trying my hand at doing pop the way I want to hear it.
kph155
Banned
114 IQ
Your true passion is in metal you're in a pop punk band??
Jester.Race
Banned
50 IQ
I like pop too, don't get me wrong. Sorry for posting so much in this thread, but I'm at work sitting at a scanner for the next hour or so...I hope you can understand the boredom I'm experiencing.
Lex Davids
I Am Woodenbox...
174 IQ
Fall of troy do heavy plus pop very well.
Pacman of the UG Hero's and Villians club
kph155
Banned
114 IQ
Quote by Jester.Race
I like pop too, don't get me wrong. Sorry for posting so much in this thread, but I'm at work sitting at a scanner for the next hour or so...I hope you can understand the boredom I'm experiencing.

I can, i'm sitting in class with a laptop and this site isnt blocked lol
sowhat360
UG Newbie
445 IQ
go rent the pantera 3 DVD and watch it with the band.....they'll want to play heavier stuff
guitaringsailor
Rock n' Roller
211 IQ
i'd say make them listen... then they will start to want to play it if they like it then your'e there!!!
tdrules
UG's Fallout Obsessive
237 IQ
Quote by JD Red LP
WTF haha

this is the Still Remains I'm used to: Worst is Yet to Come

Is that what you're going for?

have you clicked on the link =)

and yeah i like the older stuff as well, they do both very well live

and theyre really cool if you ever get to meet em
Quote by Td_Nights
*Points to Above Poster*

Best. Username. Ever.

Quote by _-Joey-_
I wish I was gay...

PSN- td_rules Steam- tdrules
Vulco_Vesper
Neimand Geht Vorbei
33 IQ
Quote by sowhat360
go rent the pantera 3 DVD and watch it with the band.....they'll want to play heavier stuff

I would want to kill myself.
Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt
4,159 IQ
Play pop inspired by heavier music. I think you said melodic hardcore (which can be pretty poppy), so play stuff like Lifetime, Set Your Goals, Daggermouth, Smoke or Fire, Jawbreaker, and Decsendents
Quote by sowhat360
I would hate my band if they did that
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
kumamilesbear
UG's Ninjobo
873 IQ
Quote by Jester.Race

play stuff by HIM, especially off their new album, "venus doom"
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
triggerhappy19
french toast
1,223 IQ
Have them listen to the album Manipulator by Fall Of Troy, it's a little more 'poppy' than their older albums, but still has that "heavy" element that sounds like what you're going for. It also has some punk elements in it.