Hey guys,

Looking for some kind of solo boost to fatten up my solos. I love the tone of the neck pickup for soloing, but it lacks mids and sounds very lacklustre compared to my bridge pickup (I have a Bareknuckle Miracle Man/Cold Sweat combo - the Cold Sweat is nice but can't compare gain and volume-wise with the MM!) So basically I need an OD that'll really boost my solos, make them stick out, and really fatten up the tone!

Any suggestions? A friend told me a Maxon-808 might do the trick?

Thanks!
Eq.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
TS9 FTW.

Most people will just recommend what they use btw....
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
EHX LPB-1.

I've got one, they're awesome, though a bit trebly.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by Jahsoul
Ocd

i cant believe im saying this, but no.

try a fatboost or fulldrive (both fulltone) thats what you really want
Thanks man, will check them out too

Btw, what does anyone make of the BBE Green Screamer? Just heard some VERY nice clips of it..
Whizzer modded TS7.
Got mine today.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
blues driver dude, blues driver. take the setting from the booklet for the booster, then mess with the tone nob. you experience wonders.
I agree with Yngwi3, an EQ would be a great way to boost the volume and mold your tone without adding the color of an Overdrive. I am an OD nut myself but from what you described I would say EQ is the way to go.

As for recommendations, sorry can't help you. I have never used one myself yet.
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
Quote by el_jimbo
Btw, what does anyone make of the BBE Green Screamer? Just heard some VERY nice clips of it..

Provides a warm, smooth boost without the Tubescreamer mid hump.
I would think the BBE freq boost is a good choice. Its basically a treble booster but it adds volume and some dirt to your sound.
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
^no it shouldn't. freq boost is a treble booster, which boosts your treble. if you think it breaks up the sound, you're listening to your amp clip from overloading the treble.

to all of you suggesting EQs, they're alright, but there is noticeable hiss problem with most EQs. more hiss/hum amplifications than straight boosters.

blues driver colors your tone a lot. not much as a tubescreamer, but it colors your tone. maybe in a good way, but sure enough, their bypass is pretty crappy.

fulltone fat boost is technically an AMZ minibooster clone, and it didn't sound so clean when i turned down the volume knob. and i wouldn't run it full on either. same goes to the EHX LPB-1, which somewhat boosts the highend more than the mids or the lows. you'd want mids, and maybe the oomphs of the lows.

everything have pros and cons. and i'm really surprised nobody has asked what amp TS has. boosting a tube amp with a clean booster with an amp cranked will get him the tone he wants. power tube saturation takes the amp to another point. both in breakup, and the fatness of the sound.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^no it shouldn't. freq boost is a treble booster, which boosts your treble. if you think it breaks up the sound, you're listening to your amp clip from overloading the treble.

to all of you suggesting EQs, they're alright, but there is noticeable hiss problem with most EQs. more hiss/hum amplifications than straight boosters.

blues driver colors your tone a lot. not much as a tubescreamer, but it colors your tone. maybe in a good way, but sure enough, their bypass is pretty crappy.

fulltone fat boost is technically an AMZ minibooster clone, and it didn't sound so clean when i turned down the volume knob. and i wouldn't run it full on either. same goes to the EHX LPB-1, which somewhat boosts the highend more than the mids or the lows. you'd want mids, and maybe the oomphs of the lows.

everything have pros and cons. and i'm really surprised nobody has asked what amp TS has. boosting a tube amp with a clean booster with an amp cranked will get him the tone he wants. power tube saturation takes the amp to another point. both in breakup, and the fatness of the sound.

what exactly constitutes a clean booster? im talking about examples of pedals.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
Quote by s.r.v.
i cant believe im saying this, but no.

try a fatboost or fulldrive (both fulltone) thats what you really want

Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
I got a Maxon OD9 for Xmas. Love it, just adds quite a bit of hum. Tonally, it's all there, excellent tones. When I roll back on the drive, have the output reasonable and the tone way up it actually improved my clean channels, giving me more warmth and a bit more of a chimy top.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Say Ocean
Clean boost ads not dirt itself.

Through a tube amp though, due to the increased signal strength you will notice more gain, more articulation, and overall giving you smoother leads.

The pedals add minute amounts of gain, but in the amp you will notice more grit than before.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
some sort of tube screamer sounds like it would work very well for this. a lot of people kinda dont like the ts because it isnt transparent and has a push in the mids. thats exactly what you are looking for, so it seems like it would work well for what you want. then you can also add a bit of grit since you said it lacks gain compared to the bridge pickup. then of course you can set the level to get you that volume push you want to make it stand out.

since you have bk pickups, i am going to assume you are not afraid of spending money. in that case, i would think a maxon overdrive would be best. the od-9 and od-808 are different tonally, so try both out (if you can) and see which you prefer.

the only thing with a lot of the other stuff mentioned is that it isnt going to do exactly what you specified. an eq will give you a level boost and can be set up to give you mids, but its not going to add any gain on its own. a clean boost will add level but be transparent otherwise. and a treble boost isnt going to get you the sound you want. of course there are a ton of overdrives out there that give many different sounds, so try as many as you can and see what you like. and if you cant find anything better, the classic tubescreamer is always a great fall back plan.
Quote by jof1029
some sort of tube screamer sounds like it would work very well for this. a lot of people kinda dont like the ts because it isnt transparent and has a push in the mids. thats exactly what you are looking for, so it seems like it would work well for what you want. then you can also add a bit of grit since you said it lacks gain compared to the bridge pickup. then of course you can set the level to get you that volume push you want to make it stand out.

since you have bk pickups, i am going to assume you are not afraid of spending money. in that case, i would think a maxon overdrive would be best. the od-9 and od-808 are different tonally, so try both out (if you can) and see which you prefer.

the only thing with a lot of the other stuff mentioned is that it isnt going to do exactly what you specified. an eq will give you a level boost and can be set up to give you mids, but its not going to add any gain on its own. a clean boost will add level but be transparent otherwise. and a treble boost isnt going to get you the sound you want. of course there are a ton of overdrives out there that give many different sounds, so try as many as you can and see what you like. and if you cant find anything better, the classic tubescreamer is always a great fall back plan.

What he said.
-plus-

Try the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster as well. Basically just a tone-fattener booster. It seems like it could get what you're looking for.
For overdrive, +1 for your friend's recommendation of the Maxon OD-808. It's what the original Ibanez Tubescreamer used to be. Cheaper than an Ibanez reissue for the same pedal. Beautiful, creamy overdrive.

That said, I'm interested in getting an EHX LPB-1 for the same reason, for a lead boost. If it's not specifically an overdrive you're looking for, the LPB-1 might be a less expensive solution.
Acutally an EQ can add gain if it has a level knob, because you are pushing the tubes harder if you are boosting frequencies. There's a noticable amount of gain when I slid up the level up on my EQ pedal.
12 fret fury
^ that is assuming it is used to push a tube amp. and i always find it great to combine pedal and amp grit for a nice solo tone. pushing the amp at the same time as having the pedal provide some of its own clipping can really make a solo stand out, at least thats what i do.
I use the Bad Monkey and I love it.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

^ The bad monkey, while very good for the price, will not compare to the ibanez/maxon tubescreamers, nor the fulltone recomendations.

I say either a real good EQ (although added noise/hiss can be a problem) dialed for extra volume and extra mids, or a clean boost.
Balance your pickups - the bridge pickup shouldn't be significantly louder than the neck, try lowering the bridge pickup and raising the neck pickup a little.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by ECistheBest
same goes to the EHX LPB-1, which somewhat boosts the highend more than the mids or the lows. you'd want mids, and maybe the oomphs of the lows.

Both the LPB-1 I made and the one I bought took away some treble, and added bass.