I've been playing for about a year now and I am not where I want to be. Im hoping to change the way I practice. Untill now I just find the tabs for the song I like and listen to it on guitar pro and try to get it right. BUt my fingers are not gaining any new flexibility or speed.

Are there any specific things I can do, like specific exercise designed to help build left hand and right hand techniques.

I mostly try to play jimi hendrix's songs. I know there hard and I am aiming high. But I love his music.
^ he said a year...

try some of the lessons on ug, they have helped me. but you can't really substitute for a teacher, even if they are annoying sometimes.
Quote by Carljenk
**** everyone who died

Quote by whatadrag
necrophiliac
playing songs won't really help. that's all i would do and my technique would never get good. you should practice with a schedule sort of what steve vai just not 10 hours. chromatics and stuff like that just to get ur fingers flexible and crap.
playing songs can help, just depends on what you're playing. I learned quite a bit from metallica. that said, i actually started doing exercises the last couple months and my picking speed and accuracy is probably the best its ever been. finger exercises with a metronome, thats it.
Quote by MetalMusicianAl
playing songs won't really help. that's all i would do and my technique would never get good. you should practice with a schedule sort of what steve vai just not 10 hours. chromatics and stuff like that just to get ur fingers flexible and crap.

That's a very generalized and ignorant statement. Plenty of songs in the metal/shred genre have riffs/solos that are essentially practice exercises. Just because it's considered a "song" doesn't mean it's not going to improve your technique at all.

To the OP: Just break down technique into sections: alternate picking (3nps, single-string, arpeggio), legato/tapping, sweeping, etc. and practice songs/riffs/etudes that has those areas of technique. And start from a very slow bpm (to the point where you can easily play it perfect), then work your way up 1 bpm at a time.
Get into a bit of scales. I know they can be boring but once you get your fingers moving, you will find that you can improv and scales suddenly don't seem so boring hehe.
Well when I started out the first thing my teacher made me do was pick (up and down, each string starting with a down stroke)

e|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------12-13-14-15
B|--------------------------------------------------------------------12-13-14-15-----------------
G|----------------------------------------------------12-13-14-15---------------------------------
D|-----------------------------------12-13-14-15--------------------------------------------------
A|------------------12-13-14-15-------------------------------------------------------------------
E|-12-13-14-15------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and then back up, but each string starting with an up stroke. then go back down. and so on.

But yeah, if it wasn't for me practising this I don't think I'd be nearly as fast as I am now (only been playing for a few months) with my picking and general speed.
Quote by harkkam
I've been playing for about a year now and I am not where I want to be. Im hoping to change the way I practice. Untill now I just find the tabs for the song I like and listen to it on guitar pro and try to get it right. BUt my fingers are not gaining any new flexibility or speed.

Are there any specific things I can do, like specific exercise designed to help build left hand and right hand techniques.

I mostly try to play jimi hendrix's songs. I know there hard and I am aiming high. But I love his music.

i was in the same situation
instead of just learning songs
you should start working on technique and theory
learn your pentatonics and major/minor scales

aiming high?
i just finished learning all of hangar 18 (all 11 of those damn solos)
now i know the meaning of "aiming high"
Quote by :-D
I once saw somebody carry a Guitar Hero controller in a case to protect it. He probably should have packed his testicles in there too, seeing as he won't need to use those for quite a while.

Explorer Club member #4
PM JEST87 to join
I had this same problem untill i got a teacher, then i would practice every day and got alot better. so, practice practice practice.
Quote by harkkam

Are your goals realistic? Other than trying to play hendrix songs, what else are you trying to do? What can you play as of now? Just list some songs and riffs that you are capable of to give us an idea?
Be cool.
Well I can play stairway to heaven solo but not so well. I can also play a bit of purple haze the solo part.

I really havent practiced chords at all. I dont like them they're boring. I only like solos because there fast and dynamic. But I am assuming that ignoring them is a big mistake.

I practice bits and pieces of solo's from different songs. I can also play the little wing solo.
oh man. ill try to keep this down. "I dont like them they're boring." Not only is this incorrect grammatically, but coming from a Hendrix fan it is insanity! Jimi was all about chords. not strumming, but doing stuff with them. What do you think the Little Wing intro is? CHORDS. he just adds flourishes. Thats how you dissect a song and learn how to play it. write the chords down, strum them until you feel confident, and then look at what he does. If it wasn't exam week id post a demo, so you will just have to take my word for it. learn your chords, your solos will benefit.
i was in your position a while back, and i got a teacher and since then i've getting better at a much faster rate then before thats if you can get a teacher, but if you cant get a teacher try the lessons on UG they are really good
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA
Quote by harkkam
Well I can play stairway to heaven solo but not so well. I can also play a bit of purple haze the solo part.

I really havent practiced chords at all. I dont like them they're boring. I only like solos because there fast and dynamic. But I am assuming that ignoring them is a big mistake.

I practice bits and pieces of solo's from different songs. I can also play the little wing solo.

Chords are a must. As you learn them, and begin to play them well, you will notice a big difference in your playing in all aspects. Now, chords don't necessarily have to be boring. The chords used in the main verse of Purple Haze are a very fun part of the song. You could start with learning to play all of that song. Just try to find songs involving chords that interest you and will make you want to learn/practice chords. Trying to run before you can walk isn't always the best idea...so try and work on your rhythm and soloing. Not just the soloing.
Be cool.
thank you guys. Im going to use the lessons posted here to build finger strength and speed. My left had is physically weak or so I think so Im going to use a hand cruncher thats has resistance to build strength.
Quote by Ardie12
i was in your position a while back, and i got a teacher and since then i've getting better at a much faster rate then before thats if you can get a teacher, but if you cant get a teacher try the lessons on UG they are really good

dammit change your avatar! i thought i double posted!
Quote by harkkam
thank you guys. Im going to use the lessons posted here to build finger strength and speed. My left had is physically weak or so I think so Im going to use a hand cruncher thats has resistance to build strength.

I think you're ignoring WAY more things than you even know about.
Building "hand strength" is a bit of a fools errand. Until you can actually
differentiate the difference between excess tension and when you need a
lot of strength (which isn't likely near as much as you think), your better off
working on skill and accuracy.

The site I posted earlier would be a big help if you followed it, which more people
should really do.
but my hands really hurt when I do a bend. Or at least i have to strain my whole hand just to get the string up to a higher note. That cant be good.
Guitar Speed Trainer helped me a lot. In three months I was able to hit 160 at four notes per beat. that is quite fast for a begginer. You should try it. I recomemd you to have it shared at some p2p filer cuz i wouldnt pay for it cash but rather in exchange.... then is also the Guitar Scales Method, also really cool (for windows, okay, these are not books or videos)
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1 (moDE)

Ibanez Electro-Acustic

Zoom G2.1u

Roland Cube 60
Vox AD50VT 2x12

And A Great Passion!

Best Spanish Rock Band IS and WILL always be "Heroes Del Silencio"!!!!!