is it possible to turn a bolt on bass into a set neck one?
by this i mean glue the neck to the body and take the bolts out.
if so would there be any advantage to it?

x
Why do you want to do that?
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by sammcl-15
Why do you want to do that?

+1

The set neck has more sustain idealogy mainly comes from Gibson, and people praising their quality of build to lower quality bolt ons.

Glue is hardly great at conducting sound waves. In theory, a perfect bolt on is as good as a neck through sustain wise (though the tone wil still have bolt on characteristics) though by design, set necks are limited by the sonic properties of glue, as opposed to how tightly two bits of wood are held together.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Last edited by gm jack at Dec 5, 2007,
why not just buy a set neck bass?
if you just glue a neck to a bass that wont work, i don't see the purpose in doing this.
what are you trying to gain by doing this?
Yea man, if you have a set neck vs. a bolt on it wont be much difference. Espesh, if you play in a Rock band with heavy distortion the extra sustain won't evn be heard.
sammcl-15:
set necks supposedly have more sustain.
He might have taken it apart and lost the neck screws.

shinhoman:
dude, if you glue that neck a millimeter off you're notes are going to be all off.
and if the glue is losing its stickyness, you don't want to find out while your cousins looking at it, and the neck just pops off and nails the little tyke on his face.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Well, an eBay bass I had broke during ship, and I glued the neck in. No difference.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by the humanity
sammcl-15:
set necks supposedly have more sustain.
He might have taken it apart and lost the neck screws.

shinhoman:
dude, if you glue that neck a millimeter off you're notes are going to be all off.
and if the glue is losing its stickyness, you don't want to find out while your cousins looking at it, and the neck just pops off and nails the little tyke on his face.

cant yoiu just pick up new screws from any local
hardware store?

and yeah i think glueing a bolt on sounds like a really bad idea
[img]http://www.fan2band.com/DynamicImages/97465_906_49_1997.gif[/img]
Quote by gm jack
+1

+1 and its variants = spam

sorry dude but uh. you gotta post something "worthwhile".

it would have a little more sustain, but, there's far too much risk. I would just wait to get a set neck to mess with setting necks or something.
point is, the neck it starts at is the neck I'd keep it at.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
To answer your questions:

Yes it's possible. You just glue it where it's bolted.

No, there would be no real advantage to doing this. It's likely you will lose access to the truss rod, and you definitely won't be able to replace the neck if you later decide you want to. You will notice little or no audible difference and in all probability your setting of the neck wouldn't be as strong as it is at the moment.