OK so just wondering how do i get these tones like amp settings?
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
mid-range p-basses with cut mids, moderate lows, and fairly high highs.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
k thx
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

yea, but they all have a very similar bass sound except maybe anti-flag and the misfits, but those 2 are also the same sorta sound, so I just need the general area not specific settngs
Quote by thefitz

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

Misfits use very thick strings. It pretty much adds a distortion to the tone without having any effects on. So I'd say thick strings and cut out your high end for them.
"The sounds of the universe were joined together according to musical concord" -Plato

Quote by adamungar1
Don't quote me, but I think it's a requirement to pledge allegiance if you're running for president :S

myspace.com/musicartenergy
AIM: enmusicerartgy
ok
Quote by thefitz

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

Dan is correct--roll up the highs and cut the mids.

And to hell with anyone who wants to turn this into a pick vs fingers war--but a pick is going to give you the attack against those strings that gives the tone the right thrash. It's the right tool for the tone.
OK and I already use a pick with these genres and say I put IDK, the top 4 strings from a 5 string set on would it be heavy enough gauge?
Quote by thefitz

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

Personally, I string up my P bass with a 105 - 45 gauge set (such as the EB Hybrid Slinky). Roll up those highs, grab your pick and you'll be off and running...
Also a good pickup for a nice punky sounds are the bassline quarter pounders for the P bass. Gives th bass a nice "slinky metallic" sound.
Quote by bxcarracer
Also a good pickup for a nice punky sounds are the bassline quarter pounders for the P bass. Gives th bass a nice "slinky metallic" sound.

I've been wondering if it's the pickups that do that or the strings, because I'm considering getting those pups, but I guess I shouldn't consider it, and just get them anyways since they're so highly recommended.
Quote by Wildcat31
I've been wondering if it's the pickups that do that or the strings, because I'm considering getting those pups, but I guess I shouldn't consider it, and just get them anyways since they're so highly recommended.

I just bought these pups--and yes they have a nice bright tone that's great for punk and alternative.
for blink 182 and anti flag tones I have my low almost all the way my mids middle and my high on 3 and then I turn the tone knob on my bass all the way up. Sounds pretty close to hoppus' tone I think. I also use EB hybrid slinky strings
Quote by PunkRocker33133
OK and I already use a pick with these genres and say I put IDK, the top 4 strings from a 5 string set on would it be heavy enough gauge?

no don't do that (unless you tune BEAD - which will require a set up of your bass - in which case you could either use a knarly capo on the 5th fret or transpose the notes) as a 135 gauge string tuned to E will have a serious effect on your neck.

get a 105/110 gauge 4 string set
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
No I'm talking a very general aim towards a generic Punk/Pop Punk EQ setting similar to these bands studio tone yes, but with less of the compression of the Poppier more famous bands.
Quote by thefitz

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

Very genetic then: Ernie Balls Pink strings, Pick .60 dunlop, P bass, quarter pounder pups, quite punky indeed.
Quote by anarkee
Dan is correct--roll up the highs and cut the mids.

And to hell with anyone who wants to turn this into a pick vs fingers war--but a pick is going to give you the attack against those strings that gives the tone the right thrash. It's the right tool for the tone.

I don't know guys, every picture I've seen of Mark Hoppus with a graphic EQ had him with a 'frowny-face' EQ - cut bass, cranked mids, and cut highs.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Well I know mark hoppus uses compressors and a whole lot of junk for his studio sound. But just sum generic bass stuff will do, the list has been listed.
There's the Rancid style bass tone, which is full of mids, and then there's the more hollow sound, which cuts mids and boosts highs. They're both good for punk, but obviously the mid-rich setting will cut through the mix better.
Oh yeah, pick is practically a must for that tone, as has been said already. Just a note on picking technique, picking near the bridge is common, but Mark Hoppus played right by the fretboard with a very strong attack, which produced a very cool sound, kind of slappish in some ways (which makes sense if you think about what the strings themselves are doing.).
a thin pick helps with that sound
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
the misfits use bass amps with distortion pedals, which gives em their distinctive sound and anti flag uses Fender Jazz geddy lee signature and a japanesse p bass.
Quote by Bassilo
Are we talking live tone or album tone? To me it seems that PunkRocker wants to reproduce the latter, which is not gonna be just "roll this, cut that" Studio is a whole friggin wonderland, nobody really knows what's happening there)

Word. Most of these guys are running full Ampeg SVT rigs through about a million and one high-end pre's etc. just for a live show, let alone in the studio where they have god knows what at their disposal.

Whenever I play punk [most of the time] I boost the mids heavily to get the presence in the mix that you need, and then boost the high end a little just to add a little extra bite. Pump your pre-gain as well, all these guys are using mildly overdriven tube amps, so to replicate anything like that with SS you'll need to push your pre.
Quote by UtBDan
mid-range p-basses with cut mids, moderate lows, and fairly high highs.

Pretty much 100% there.