Just a query here.
I noticed cheap Kmart dept guitars for kids on sale here for $49.00 for xmas, but was amazed to see the proper "Gibson" headstock logo stamped on them?
Is this for real...or a blatant copyright infrigement, or what?
I,m pushing on a bit, and it took me ages to obtain a proper Gibson, but now it seems you don't even have to be a serious musician to own a brand name super icon in the music world?
Have Gibson lowered themselves to dealing through any old store?
What do others think of this? I'ts not a case of being "petty" but more a case of keeping sacred Icons safe from cheap importers who want to exploit serious brands for the sake of a few measly dollars.
Just my 2 cents.
Mike
PS. Apologies if this is in the wrong section or anything. ( or if this has already been discussed ).
Peace.
Mike.
Last edited by vlad88888888 at Dec 4, 2007,
Look carefully next time to make sure it's not Gibsoon or Gebson or something silly like that.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Copyright infringement for sure. Gibson doesn't deal through K-Mart and you'd be lucky to find anything under 800 bucks with the Gibson name on it. Especially with the whole 'Gibsons are overpriced' thing.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
PICS!!!

(or it didn't happen, of course )
Quote by SOADrox429
'Bring me the still-beating heart of a newborn child, and the world's rivers shall run red with the blood of the innocent.'

<\/> Fleshgod Apocalypse <\/>
Fender has the Starcaster which is widely known for being among the worst things you could ever buy. I don't know if Gibson has done this or not but they too could have put out a cheap, ****ty, kindling piece of a guitar with their name on it.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
I've seen what you're talking about, and strange as it is, they are genuine Gibson. Logo, license and everything. However, they're not considered "real" guitars in the same level of Epiphone or Squier...more like entry-level First Act. I took a quick look at them (they also sell them at FYE along with Behringer beginner guitars) and about a full 90% of the hardware is cheap plastic, with REALLY basic pickups. The "Tune-O-Matic" bridge still has paint marks on it...
Quote by bigredbeast
how much is 15,000 PHP? I didn't know they played guitar in the Phillipines. I thought they played ukelele or something.

Because, of course, we're too far away from places with guitars and all that stuff so we play ukelele...
I do believe it's called a Melody Maker. Meijer (local retail store) sells the same pieces of ****. The acoustic one I played on sounded somewhat decent if it's a beginner guitar. But yes, it actually is Gibson, and I'd have to say it is about as equal to a Starcaster as you can get. Both a waste of $.50/
Quote by MyImmortal
I do believe it's called a Melody Maker. Meijer (local retail store) sells the same pieces of ****. The acoustic one I played on sounded somewhat decent if it's a beginner guitar. But yes, it actually is Gibson, and I'd have to say it is about as equal to a Starcaster as you can get. Both a waste of $.50/

A Melody Maker IS a **** guitar, but they definitely don't sell for $50. They list for about $500 I believe.
GEAR:
Vantage Ghost Gibson "The Paul" copy
Fender FM-100H half-stack
Regal vintage 30W class A amp head (handcrafted in Montreal)
Ya it has the Gibson name but it is definately not built by Gibson. In the marketing world they call it "Building brand loyalty".
That is all.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Hugsy
A Melody Maker IS a **** guitar, but they definitely don't sell for $50. They list for about $500 I believe.

Around $150 I do believe. At least the ones around here.
Quote by vlad88888888
You asked for a pic...click the link below.
http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/pf/0710/gallery.holiday_tech_toys/4.html
Is this the thing you were talking about?
Mike

haha, is that the one with light up frets? hahhaha. and the starcaster? that doesn't look too good, and it's only like 40 bucks cheaper than a squier standard...which is better i do believe?
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
Quote by Schneiderman
Fender has the Starcaster which is widely known for being among the worst things you could ever buy. I don't know if Gibson has done this or not but they too could have put out a cheap, ****ty, kindling piece of a guitar with their name on it.

Saw that at Best Buy, the Starcaster that is.
I once bought a wallet which i thought was a "West Coast Choppers" one for $10 but it turns out it said "West Side(wtf) choppers"