I'm American and believe in God.
56 20%
I'm English and believe in God.
23 8%
I'm American and don't believe in God.
75 27%
I'm English and don't believe in God.
76 27%
I'm neither English or American, but I gotta vote, damn you!
51 18%
Voters: 283.
Page 1 of 3
It's often said that paradoxically, America as a secular nation is more religious than England which has an established church. Let's see whether that's true for UG.

Certainly, from what I've seen and read, many Americans tend to take religion rather seriously (or is it just public figures?). Where I live though, in my old college of hundreds of people, the Christian Union consisted of around 6, and unions for other religions were non-existent.

I'd like to hear what it's like where you live, and why you think it is.

(This isn't in the religious thread as the entire purpose of this is to gain an idea of relative sizes, so a poll is the easiest way to do that).
Well, at my uni there's a massive Christian society that're pretty active. I, for one, am not a part of it.

I wholeheartedly agree that Jesus (be he mythical or factual) had some good teachings, but I really don't think it's important whether or not he's the son of God.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
I'm half american, (american dad, spanish mom)

since my mom is spanish we're roman catholic. I believe in god...when i'm in a postive mood, other wise god is bs for me.
Last edited by .smudged. at Dec 4, 2007,
What if you aren't sure if you believe in a god/gods?
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
There should be more options up there, making it a little TOO specific. If you mean religion say religion, if you mean Christianity or Monotheistic faiths then do so. You know what I means? I do have myself some religion, but isnt god based. Atheism is for stupid teenagers.
Well, i live in England and believe in God, but mainly because my mum is Catholic and i've been brought to believe in God.
It's gonna be a blue day
I know what you mean, but the overwhelming majority of those who are religious in either country are Christian. Besides, England doesn't have an official polytheistic church, so the poll would be useless.
Quote by Allahblues
There should be more options up there, making it a little TOO specific. If you mean religion say religion, if you mean Christianity or Monotheistic faiths then do so. You know what I means? I do have myself some religion, but isnt god based. Atheism is for stupid teenagers.

Let's take that to the religion thread! if you dare
Check out my latest recording on my profile
No agnostic option? Oh well, doesn't matter to me, I'm American and I don't believe in god. Though it likely is true that people are more religious in the U.S., I know plenty of people who take religion very seriously, to the point of being somewhat radical.
Quote by lordofthefood1
What if you aren't sure if you believe in a god/gods?

Do a lot of thinking and come back later.
Quote by scheck006
Let's take that to the religion thread! if you dare

If I want to be gang banged id head elsewhere
I'm American and don't really believe in god, the only reason you hear politics speak of it is to please the radicals so they can get elected...
I don't like the poll, damnit I would say I believe in a God, insomuch as I think the whole idea of a single God, a hundred gods or no gods is effectively the same thing. I certainly don't follow any Western religion, so what would I chose?
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
I'm a Mexican-American and I am Christian. Although I find that I disagree with a lot of the less-important theological views of many Christians I know.
Quote by Yakult
I don't like the poll, damnit I would say I believe in a God, insomuch as I think the whole idea of a single God, a hundred gods or no gods is effectively the same thing. I certainly don't follow any Western religion, so what would I chose?

We covered this .
Quote by Allahblues
Well thats a little harsh.

This isn't the place to make cheap shots if you don't even want to back them up. If you can't even bother to argue, then don't make a claim at all.
Quote by The Madcap
I'm a Mexican-American and I am Christian. Although I find that I disagree with a lot of the less-important theological views of many Christians I know.

So you're not Christian then

You can't pick and chose what you like from a religion and still say you're of that faith. It's like me saying I'm Catholic but I'm well up for unprotected sex and murder because I don't like the part of the bible that says that's not allowed
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by scheck006
This isn't the place to make cheap shots if you don't even want to back them up. If you can't even bother to argue, then don't make a claim at all.

Wow, this is a little too hostile. With such differing of opinion no agreement can be reached. For the most part atheism is for angry uninformed teenagers. On the flip side, radical evangelicals are also angry and uninformed. No agreement can be reached. Why would I want to fight with you?
What the fuck? You insult me, my intelligence and my beliefs and then you seem to have a hard time figuring out why there's hostility?
I'm American, and I don't believe.

And I like in Southern Baptist Land, so I'm not much of a commonplace most times.

I'm not saying all Christians are Baptist here, but there are LOADS of closed minded, ignorant Christians in Georgia, but I have met some very tolerant people, and even more agnostics and athiests that I thought.

But, as a whole, almost everyone I know believes in some way, give or take 10-20 people.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Well I'm American and I'm personally an agnostic....
so I put that I don't believe. Yeah not really the same thing. O well.
WATCH THIS

Quote by GabeT347
does anybody have a sitar?
Quote by highway62
you have to buy them from george harrison. He owns all of them
Quote by Yakult
So you're not Christian then

You can't pick and chose what you like from a religion and still say you're of that faith. It's like me saying I'm Catholic but I'm well up for unprotected sex and murder because I don't like the part of the bible that says that's not allowed
Christianity is much more vague than Catholicism. Catholics don't agree with everything a protestant church might say, but Catholics and Protestants are both considered Christians.
Quote by scheck006
What the fuck? You insult me, my intelligence and my beliefs and then you seem to have a hard time figuring out why there's hostility?

Insult your beliefs? Sorry if I think atheism is a joke. Theres no belief system involved. What am insulting? That you dont believe in anything? thats fine, but atheists spend so much time trying to "disprove god" and faith. Teenage ones at least.
If it's a joke then you won't have much of a hard time beating everyone in the religion thread. Again, this isn't the place to make cheap shots. It only makes you look like an asshole.
Quote by scheck006
If it's a joke then you won't have much of a hard time beating everyone in the religion thread. Again, this isn't the place to make cheap shots. It only makes you look like an asshole.

Well, ok then. Yet to see the cheap shot. Simply saying... wait what did I say?
Quote by The Madcap
Christianity is much more vague than Catholicism. Catholics don't agree with everything a protestant church might say, but Catholics and Protestants are both considered Christians.

Yeah, good point and well made

That's also my main problem with Christianity: it's vagueness. I think religion should be about giving people answers, and the vast amount of Christian faiths just offers more questions in my opinion
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
I'm not a Christian American, but I believe in a higher power (hence I voted I'm American and believe in God). Jesus said some good stuff, and so did Muhammad and Abraham.

We were never meant to be constrained by religion...
Needlenick wrote:

Dave Grohl has officially literally done everything.
Quote by Yakult

That's also my main problem with Christianity: it's vagueness. I think religion should be about giving people answers, and the vast amount of Christian faiths just offers more questions in my opinion

Yet the thing with Christianity is that you aren't supposed to have all the answers, thats the whole concept of faith.

I agree with you on the amount of Christian faiths, even as a Christian I am worried about it. I think the fact of the Bible's vagueness and the own corrupt nature of man has cause many distortions and misinterpretations of Christianity and the Bible. I have yet to decide on my own denomination and I have tried to decide which is the "true church".
Last edited by Joshrocker48 at Dec 4, 2007,
Well i have little knowledge of English culture(surprise huh) but i can speak for My part of Texas. Here we built churches next to churches. Then build a church next to it, And if we have enough room we build a church between 2 churches.

I'm not making a joke.
epic7734
Quote by Yakult

I agree, and I think that it's just that many people interpret words differently, plus the Bible itself isn't the exact transription from the original.
I am currently a member of the Church of the Fonze.

May Fonzy be with you.
*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Quote by The Madcap
I agree, and I think that it's just that many people interpret words differently, plus the Bible itself isn't the exact transription from the original.

Good point. I find it particularly worrying when you get things like the "King James Bible", which he basically re-wrote. If you decide that you believe in Christ, picking a denomination must be nigh on impossible. I guess that's where faith comes in!

Quote by Joshrocker48
Yet the thing with Christianity is that you aren't supposed to have all the answers, thats the whole concept of faith.

I agree with you on the amount of Christian faiths, even as a Christian I am worried about it. I think the fact of the Bible's vagueness and the own corrupt nature of man has cause many distortions and misinterpretations of Christianity and the Bible. I have yet to decide on my own denomination and I have tried to decide which is the "true church".

Yeah, I agree. I think due to that, even if everything the original Bible said was spot on, you could probably get away with just trying to lead a good life and having a bit of general "faith". The argument is that if God's not sending anyone else down to correct His original work (unless you're Catholic or Mormon) it's better to just be generally "good" than pick the wrong sect.

It's like the part of the Bible when there was no prophets, God basically said that if you didn't hear his true word but led a good life then it's chilled: welcome to Heaven.

If there is a God then, for my sake, I hope I'm right
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
American, Christian. Jesus is my saviour, the Bible is amazing (as are most religious texts), but I don't regularly attend church and I don't force my beliefs down other people's throats. And I'm pro-gay marriage and pro-choice, so I'm not that religious at all.

I think enlightenment is like a garden. You can get there different ways, but all that matters is you get there. For me, it's Christianity, but it's not the same for everyone.
Quote by bananaboy
I think enlightenment is like a garden. You can get there different ways, but all that matters is you get there. For me, it's Christianity, but it's not the same for everyone.

Mate, that's one of the best things I've read on here for a while. Very well said.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
in the words of dogma. I have an idea, but it's my idea and my business.
Page 1 of 3