Well i have a BC Rich, warlock and i have my high e string down tuned to d, and when i strum on frets 21, and 22, it has the same sound, my friend told me it was an intonation problem, if he's right how do i fix it, or can i?
i think he is and yes you can but i recommode a professional to do it or someone who is good at guitar customizing or buiding
It's not intonation, it's action, or it could be a bad fret, but try raising the action on that one string first.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
^he's right.

if your fret is damaged and choking a note dead, then the note at that fret will be wrong.

doesnt mean you shouldnt check ur intonation anyway.
as that, it's just tuning at the 12th.

so fret the 12th, make sure you're in tune there, and if not then repost.

and examine the fret on the bad note, make sure it's not kinked,
make sure the string isnt damaged.

and if you want to raise the action, ^like suggested, that might help, so repost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
is it a fixed bridge?

loosen the screws on the top of the bridge posts, that will free up the thumbscrew, pointed to by red arrows. spin those to raise them. then tighten up the bridge post screws again.

edit: ok i missed ur last. i'll wait...
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

well, if yo've got dead notes all around the higher frets. try raising the strings a little.

you can detune a bit first. and then retune try the notes again, and we can take it from there.

Edit: haha u're quick.

is that what ur bridge looks like? or is it a trem style bridge?

or a locking bridge?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

ok cool.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

well, see the picture, mine is almost the same but the strings just bend under the sattle, and don't go into another piece, get it?

Edit: i'm starting to think i have a bad fret because i raised the bridge and now when i hit the 20th fret it gives me a diffrent sound other then the 21st but it makes a high pitch sort of little.. i don't know how to explain it lol. but it makes a funny noise now.
Last edited by joshmeister at Dec 4, 2007,
that's fine cause im not saying to touch that tail piece.

yours strings thru the body. not an issue. just detune then loosen the screws in the top of the bridge posts. there should be a ridged washer in the post you can rotate a bit higher.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

lol noooo.. it doesn't go into the guitar ethier, it just goes underneath the saddle.
haha, it's fine.

look at the bridge. it has a couple of screws on the top of those two posts?

those are they.

you might not have thumbscrews. if not then the adjustment is probably done by loosening those post screws.

is this the one?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?cpd=0OEY&doc_id=99371&base_pid=510780&index=0
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Dec 4, 2007,
Yes, like on the outside of the bridge ad the strings are between the 2 posts right?
yeah, check out last post, see if that's the guitar.

yeah the strings are laying over the bridge, each sitting on a little saddle.

hard to see, but they may be locked by teo smaller screws?

anyhoo, bc rich will have a FAQ section on their site too.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

it's fine that you're making sure.

so look it over. but dont worry, these minor adjustments get easier the more you do them.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I don't know if this is important or not but when i bend on the 20th string it just cuts out, pushing me towards the idea of a dead fret =\
well, to be honest, you might even need a truss rod adjustment.

i was hoping that the bridge adjustment would be enough to get you to clear those frets.

if you still have many dead areas after the adjustment, then ur neck can probably use a little more bend.

if it's too straight or beck backwards a bit, then the strings will lay too close to the higher frets.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

hmm.. it's not that the strings are hitting the frets, just making sure you know that right? it's wierd it's only the one string and it didn't do it before. lol i probably f%&^ed my guitar up by down-tuning and tuning it back to often =xxx
i have to take off for now.

so dont touch the truss rod, unless one of the seasoned guys explains it to you.

otherwise, try the bridge, and post an update and ill return a post in the morning.

Edit: ok i read that last one. well, it could be uneven frets. but downtuning will only effect dead notes if there's an adjustment setup problem.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

well i raised up the bridge.. but it didn't make a diffrence and every other note on the same fret and everything is fine, im starting to think it's a bad fret, so what do you think jj?
i would swap out the string first, just in case, but
yeah, seems like a bad fret to me too.

sometimes a high fret can be tapped into place, very lightly, with a tiny hammer.

a flat fret will also buzz. so care needs to be taken.

worsth case senerio, $20 should get that fret redressed, polished, finished, adjusted, which ever it needs.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

good luck. hope it works out
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62