Today my bassist asked me if he could turn his old acoustic guitar into an acoustic bass. I told him i didn't know for sure and that i'd put this up. I don't have any idea how u could cuzm kinda new to guitar playing, so i hoped some of u pros could help me out.
Quote by afreakonaleash
Today my bassist asked me if he could turn his old acoustic guitar into an acoustic bass. I told him i didn't know for sure and that i'd put this up. I don't have any idea how u could cuzm kinda new to guitar playing, so i hoped some of u pros could help me out.
You could, but there will be problems.

1 - You would need to replace the nut. Cut slots for 4 strings, rather than 6. Small problem.

2 - The tuners wouldn't be great for the heavier strings. Replacing them might be better.

3 - You would need to use short-scale bass strings.

4 - The stiffness coefficient of steel bass strings would be much higher than guitar strings. Moving the bridge would be necessary.

5 - Nylon strings would lessen this problem. Are nylon short-scale bass stings available?
I have no idea.

6 - You would need to have 4 bridge pegs, properly spaced, instead of 6.

7 - If you don't have an adjustable truss-rod, the increased tension of bass strings might bend your neck like a banana.

8 - The stress on the body might cause it to separate.

Bottom Line:

Interesting experiment. Many possible paths to dismal failure. Proceed at your own risk.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You could, but there will be problems.

4 - The stiffness coefficient of steel bass strings would be much higher than guitar strings. Moving the bridge would be necessary.

You fail to remember that moving the bridge would screw up the intonation.

I think I recall someone trying to do this a while back on this forum. Let's just say the neck couldn't stand the tension.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead