Hey guys, I was in the local shop the other day looking at the mexi s/s/s strat I am looking into getting and noticed that its neck is completely different than the strat copy I have at the moment. It felt HUGE by comparison. I felt like I was reaching to an uncomfortable degree when playing it. When I say huge i mean from the back of the neck to the fingerboard it feels fat. Is this what most Fenders are like? Any suggestions on a thinner necked guitar for the same general price?

spending limit: $400
Music: alt, classic rock, grunge, blues
amp: doesn't matter its being replaced with a tube
features: I don't require anything special, don't need a trem or anything.
no most are wafer thin. thats y i love them lol.
Quote by NGD1313
I cen lyk spel reel gud. I came n 2nd n da spelling b, sum dumb 4en kid beet meh.
Go try more Fenders. At this one shop, that's how ALL the Fender's feel. But, at Guitar Center most feel thinner. I played an Ashland a couple days ago, felt amazing and was only $128. Might have been plywood though... so not much of an upgrade.

Or we can go with option #2: Keep the neck of your copy that you obviously like, and buy a good Alder body for it, and redo the electronics.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by muso_ chris
no most are wafer thin. thats y i love them lol.

now im confused as to what that block of wood I was holding on to was...felt that way on the strats and the teles.
Quote by CORT noob
Go try more Fenders. At this one shop, that's how ALL the Fender's feel. But, at Guitar Center most feel thinner. I played an Ashland a couple days ago, felt amazing and was only $128. Might have been plywood though... so not much of an upgrade.

Or we can go with option #2: Keep the neck of your copy that you obviously like, and buy a good Alder body for it, and redo the electronics.

sorry for the double post, but I couldn't edit the last one gracefully to save my life. Anyway, I'll go check more strats in other stores just to be safe, but that second option has me salivating. I can do basic electronics, but haven't done anything with guitars. While I'm pretty sure I could get through putting the electronics into a body, would actually attaching the neck be that hard? BTW, how much would it cost abouts to buy the body/electronics/pickups in general?
it wouldnt be too hard unless you have a strange neck that doesnt fit the body. or if you have a glued in neck which would be unusual for a strat copy
Usually Strats are either with a V-neck or a C-neck. I find the C-necks to feel a lot fatter, my buddies got one and I like my V-neck Strat a lot better. (And actually so does he)
Quote by pENTAcUBE
sorry for the double post, but I couldn't edit the last one gracefully to save my life. Anyway, I'll go check more strats in other stores just to be safe, but that second option has me salivating. I can do basic electronics, but haven't done anything with guitars. While I'm pretty sure I could get through putting the electronics into a body, would actually attaching the neck be that hard? BTW, how much would it cost abouts to buy the body/electronics/pickups in general?

Electronics, about $25-$30 to replace everything. Pickups, depends. BTW, I'd recommend some of CorduroyEW's pups. I put them in my plywood strat copy(I love the neck) and they sound amazing. The body, probably around $150 if you get it from warmoth. What I would do is, Send them your body and ask them if they can make an exact replica except different wood obviously. They'll send the replica, and it should fit your neck perfectly.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Fender do lots of different profiles, the one you played sounds like the less common 'U' neck, though as it was a Mex I guess a 'C' would be more likely.

As for building your own, the body price would depend entirely on the quality you want. If you want this to be your main guitar for some time, go for something half-decent.
Warmoth do top-notch Strat bodies in a variety of woods (including flamed/quilted tops) for well under $200, though you'll need to do the finishing yourself...

As well as the big parts sites like Warmoth and StewMac , there are plenty of eBay shops which sell fully-finished bodies at reasonable prices (usually around $60-$250).

As for attaching the neck, that's a piece of piss, literally just four screws (unless your copy is modelled on a 70s strat, in which case it'd be three - make sure!). In fact once you've got the parts there should be nothing more taxing than a bit of screwing and soldering.

Doing it the DIY way should cost no more than the price of a Mex Strat, and will probably be far better qualilty. The best bit is that you can continue upgrading whenever you've got the money available - once it's all together you can improve the hardware, change the pickups and gradually make improvements. And maybe a year or so later, you'll end up fitting a new neck too...
I really love this idea considering I have just been on a seemingly never ending mission to find a neck that feels as good as mine. Any ballpark figures on how much extra it would cost to have warmoth copy my current guitar's body? Oh, and how do you guys think a strat would look with just a transparent coating, letting the grain of the wood be the aesthetics.

P.S. I see they can route the cavities into the back or the front of the guitar for the electronics, if I were to just buy a strat body from them what would be the difference? (tone wise, ease of assembly, etc.)
A rear-routed cavity would be easier to work with, I don't think there'd be much tone difference. I know warmoth can make necks for strats that have a wizard profile, if that's what you want.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
some strat necks feel like you're groping a tree, you're right.
the majority of strats have medium-ish necks, i think.
Quote by lespaulrocks39
A rear-routed cavity would be easier to work with, I don't think there'd be much tone difference. I know warmoth can make necks for strats that have a wizard profile, if that's what you want.

I'll be using my current neck, it's just too perfect for me to give up.
u must have a really small hand, or you prefer wizard necks. whcih i think are awful. if you don't like the C necks or the V necks from fender, you won't find any. fender necks are skinnier compared to a lot of others out there like PRS, Gibson, and etc. their nut width is thin too. it might be the way you hold it, but if you think fender necks are fat, look for an ibanez or a jackson.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
u must have a really small hand, or you prefer wizard necks. whcih i think are awful. if you don't like the C necks or the V necks from fender, you won't find any. fender necks are skinnier compared to a lot of others out there like PRS, Gibson, and etc. their nut width is thin too. it might be the way you hold it, but if you think fender necks are fat, look for an ibanez or a jackson.

While there are probably quite a few guitars out there with necks i would enjoy, I have grown so attached and comfortable with this one that I really want to keep it, but I also don't want to keep using an inferior guitar.
Btw, I just realized that after applying the neck and electronics there is the hardware issue. I have no idea how I will be able to apply the bridge part, with the saddles.