Page 1 of 3
Hey guys! I was just wondering if anybody know how to get a great Rush sound on the Marshall MG100HDFX and the MG412A. Hopefully I will get some response :P thx
Yeah; turn it off, unplug it, put it in a box, sell it on eBay, and buy a new amp.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
Yeah; turn it off, unplug it, put it in a box, sell it on eBay, and buy a new amp.

so true
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
Quote by MrCarrot
Yeah; turn it off, unplug it, put it in a box, catch it on fire, and buy a new amp.

Fixed
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
^ Well I dunno, I mean with my way you are, strictly speaking, using the amp to get a good tone

I'd rather make a petrol-fuelled bonfire than burn the MG tbh. I mean, you'd get a fair bit of money back on the MG.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
haha! well... I just bought this amp.. so it's cind of hard to sell it... I'm not gonna do that. But!! Is there any Effect Pedals that I can use to make it sound more like Rush?
Quote by mongo_man
haha! well... I just bought this amp.. so it's cind of hard to sell it... I'm not gonna do that. But!! Is there any Effect Pedals that I can use to make it sound more like Rush?

No, it's an MG it's ****.
Take it back to the shop and get a refund.
If youve just bought it take it back. Please. Then come back make a new amp thread and you will forever be in our debt when you get a lovely tube combo perfect for a rush tone
break it and say it was that way when you got it, seriously..
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
how come that EVERY review I read about this amp was that it was a beatiful, lovley-sounding amp? And now everybody tells me that it sucks :S
Every amp ever will get a review of 7 - 10 on this sites reviews....
Quote by entity0009
some retards decided it would be funny to use mental conditions as insults.
Quote by mongo_man
how come that EVERY review I read about this amp was that it was a beatiful, lovley-sounding amp? And now everybody tells me that it sucks :S

Because, (no offense) everyone that buys an MG half-stack is so depressed that they just spent $600 on the worst amp ever made, that they actually go into tone denial.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Quote by mongo_man

If you have a 30 or whatever day return policy available, use it.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

are you guys serious? :S then what amp should I buy then?... I can't buy a amp that is more expensive than this one
Because alot of them get excited over them having a marshall and 4 really big speakers they cant turn past 3 without the floor shaking and they think the more wattage the more cool they are. Were not being arses were just telling you the truth sorry, really id recommend returning it.
a lot of the people who write reviews on it (on here at least ive not used other sites) are usually beginners with little experience about amplifiers in general ,,, its not that its a terrible amp thats going to eat you alive,,,,its that for the price you do not get what you expect from an amp of such a price and this is something most of the mg's have in common baring the MG15 and at a push to 30
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
Reviews on UG, Harmony Central, GC.com, and Musicians Friend are NOT the best way to learn about a product.

I think I'm going to have to aggree with most of the other posters in this thread, you're better off with a different amp, such as a lower-wattage tube combo. Especially if you just bought it. You should be able to take it back to the shop for a full refund.

Alex Lifeson is probably reading this thread right now, banging his head on his keyboard. Shame on you.
sad thing is....ive got the MG30, which was a present half year ago. 2 days after i read in internet how ****ty this am would be, but i didn'T get rid of it - i didn't wanted to.

if u really wanna get some *normal sounds* there are 2 ways in my opinion:

1. buy a new amp

2. buy some effects, filters, etc....and turn amp on clean channel.....leave the settings to the effect tools

mhm....lol

i wish i would have the money 2 buy a new amp ://///
Umm I would go with a peavey classic 30, lovely cleans nice overdrive not sure how much it is in american though Oh and by the way please dont just try and solve it with just new pedals your going to regret it in the long run and the new thread you made about that will probably be closed
haha... well! I bought this amp much cheaper than it normally costs! like 25% cheaper
Quote by mongo_man
haha... well! I bought this amp much cheaper than it normally costs! like 25% cheaper

So you paid $450 for and amp that is, tonally, worth $20. The only good thing about that amp is that the cab is DECENT, but I seriously doubt you need a 4x12".

There are still many good amps under $450, if you're willing to admit your mistake and trade it in.

Remember, just because it's on sale dosn't mean it's a good buy.
Quote by mongo_man

That's like saying you'd be happy if someone gave you some feces for free!
Gear: Framus Cobra - Homemade Warmoth guitar - Ibanez S470 - Alvarez acoustic
heh... well! I don't think I can exchange this amp :S first of all I don't think the shop I bought it in would let me, and second... my father would have killed me ^^ (because I own him money, from the amp) But let's say I exchanged it... what should I buy then?
but hey guys... seriously! The clean sound is awsome, and the overdrive is sweet aswell! Is this amp THAT sucky? ...
you just haven't experienced anything else.
go out and try a nice tube combo.
explain to your dad that you bought the wrong amp and you want to return it to get a new one that you wont need to replace in about a year when you get a band going.
Quote by mongo_man
but... can I seriously get a better Combo amp at this price range? :S

Any combo amp is better at that price range (except other MGs and Spiders).

Quote by TMVolta19
I admit that I am a noob! I have played guitar for about 1 and a half year! But in my eyes have I become pretty skilled for playing for such a short time. I have played everyday, often many hours aday. But ehm... I can't see why this amp suck so much
Quote by mongo_man
I admit that I am a noob! I have played guitar for about 1 and a half year! But in my eyes have I become pretty skilled for playing for such a short time. I have played everyday, often many hours aday. But ehm... I can't see why this amp suck so much

Once you play a decent tube amp, you will see why it sucks so badly.

Quote by TMVolta19
well if you like it, keep it. we're just telling you to get an amp that you won't hate in another year. but if you seriously want a rush tone, go to the ultimate-settings thread.
okey guys! Thanks a lot... I will really consider this. But.. you know... If I can't get it exchanged, then I can't afford a new one
Quote by mongo_man
But ehm... I can't see why this amp suck so much

Your amp- the one you've got is the same as this.

Yeah, doesn't look as impressive now does it?
It's the same, just a really loud version.

It sucks because there are plenty valve combos which absolutely rip it to shreds for the same price.
The clean channel is sterile and dry, and the distortion channel is just mud and fuzz.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I know you're reluctant about exchanging but in all seriousness, it's better to cut your losses and get a smaller tube combo.

Laney LC-15/Laney LC-30
Peavey Valveking 112/Peavey Royal 8
Marshall DSL401

These would be my suggestions. Good Luck.
Quote by mongo_man

Tube amp guys are just transistor-haters. I have the MG100HDFX with the AVT412XA and AVT412XB 4x12 cabs and a Boss ME-50 and I couldn't be happier. I run my Les Paul with burstbuckers through it and it sounds nice.
but Bartdevil... what's the price for those amps? compaired to the MG100HDFX and the MG412A
Well, I read in here you paid like $450 for the amp setup you have now...unfortunatley I live in the UK, so not all the prices are gonna be the same in America. However, the Laneys and the Royal (Perhaps the VK) should be within your price range.

EDIT:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Laney-LC15-15W-1x10-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481329

^LC-15

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442

^Peavey VK

My favourite's the Peavey.
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Dec 5, 2007,
Page 1 of 3