I need help writing chord progressions, I know, I know, I know, read the stickies, and the FAQ's. I did and they don't help. Why else would I post a new thread?

I try to write stuff but everything has to be in key, but that just means majors or minors in different key sig.'s How do I know when I can add m7, slash chords, 5ths, 9ths, power chords, sus's, etc. and still be in key?

Please post.
honestly... you can analyze all you want and write these beautiful chord progressions, but unless you know how the music moves as you write it, actually following the rules is going to make your music seem way to forced. Just play aorund, find something that has the mood your looking for and expand upon it. Just play what sounds right. If you know a decent amount of music theory, then from there you can analyze what you have and add to it, but without a pretty extensive background your not going to be able to just write out III(6/4) - IV(6) - II(6/4) - V (6/4) - I and know what that would sound like, ya know?
Quote by whirly315
honestly... you can analyze all you want and write these beautiful chord progressions, but unless you know how the music moves as you write it, actually following the rules is going to make your music seem way to forced. Just play aorund, find something that has the mood your looking for and expand upon it. Just play what sounds right. If you know a decent amount of music theory, then from there you can analyze what you have and add to it, but without a pretty extensive background your not going to be able to just write out III(6/4) - IV(6) - II(6/4) - V (6/4) - I and know what that would sound like, ya know?

Well, I know the mood I'm going for. When I play around, It justs sounds kinda elementary. Like anyone could write it. Of course I've only been playing about a year and a half. So could it be my theory ain't good enough yet. Also, is it too soon to write my own stuff?
Quote by neptune1988
Well, I know the mood I'm going for. When I play around, It justs sounds kinda elementary. Like anyone could write it. Of course I've only been playing about a year and a half. So could it be my theory ain't good enough yet. Also, is it too soon to write my own stuff?

It's never too soon to write your own stuff. As for theory and when to use what chords I'd recommend taking a look at the Musician Talk forum.
Ka pu te ruha ka hao te rangatahi.
Check out this book, I found it very useful.
Chord Progressions for Songwriters by Richard J. Scott

It has thousands of examples of progressions used in popular music.