Is there a difference or is it just a synonym?

Also right now I shouldnt be spending large amounts of money (saving for school) and my amp just isnt cutting it. The distortion, overdirve, what ever you want to call it is really loose and muddy not good since I like metal (80's metal like Maiden). It's a Marshall valvestate 30w and it's almost 11 years old lol. I know you're gonna say get a new amp which I will get, but I cant for another few years So will $130ish dollars for a pedal, like an Ibanez tube screamer or Boss DN-2 Dyna Drive (examples of whats availble to me) be worth it?
they are pretty much the same thing. Overdrive is smoother and not as harsh as distortion.
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Just keep saving up for a new amp.
Most boost/OD/Dist pedals sound junk through solid state (or hybrids for that matter).
Maybe just get a cheap behringer dist pedal to tide you over until you can save up for a new amp.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Well, i personally feel the best Distorted/overdriven sound ive ever gotten is out of a pedal. I dont know the brand, and its kinda old, you wont find it anywhere, but its something like... "Xtreme" or something. its actually really good. I'll check it and let you know.
Dean Something-or-Other
Jay Turser Semi-Hollow
B. Bass
Woodbine 12str.
-------
Crate Flexwave 120w
about 1300w more bass than i need
-------
But really Im a Drummer...
Zildjian biotch
Quote by ssguitar
they are pretty much the same thing. Overdrive is smoother and not as harsh as distortion.

OK cool thx

Quote by darkarbiter7
Just keep saving up for a new amp.
Most boost/OD/Dist pedals sound junk through solid state (or hybrids for that matter).
Maybe just get a cheap behringer dist pedal to tide you over until you can save up for a new amp.

Wow those behringers are cheap I think I'l buy one of those if I can find it!
Overdrive is when the circuit in the amp over loads itself by putting out more than maximum output, creating the crunchy sound. It can also come about from breaking the speaker slightly like most 60s musicians did.
Distortion is a more sythetic (if you like) effect created by pedals and amps where the the signal is changed to sound dirty, so if you're into screaming metal it's distortion you want.
Quote by GetBack
Overdrive is when the circuit in the amp over loads itself by putting out more than maximum output, creating the crunchy sound. It can also come about from breaking the speaker slightly like most 60s musicians did.
Distortion is a more sythetic (if you like) effect created by pedals and amps where the the signal is changed to sound dirty, so if you're into screaming metal it's distortion you want.

Thx for that info.

I hate screaming music for OD pedal for me.
like getback said, overdrive is when the signal is boosted beyond where it should be, and distortion is basically just an effect that changes the signal, doesnt boost it.
but i disagree about the wanting distortion.
i personally use both. i use my amp's distortion (or ds1 when i'm running through a crap amp), and use a blues driver to boost the signal above the rest of the band to take a solo, or just boost the signal for leads and whatnot. but i like to use the two together, works wonders.
Quote by acerst
Well, i personally feel the best Distorted/overdriven sound ive ever gotten is out of a pedal. I dont know the brand, and its kinda old, you wont find it anywhere, but its something like... "Xtreme" or something. its actually really good. I'll check it and let you know.

Xotic perhaps?
Quote by amp FAQ
Overdrive-
Overdrive is often confused with distortion due to a similar "kind" of sound.. but overdrive re-creates the natural warm sound of a vintage tube amp that is being "overdriven" or is breaking up. when a tube amps volume is pushed beyond its capacity, they "break up" and begin to sound crunchy and distorted, the resulting sound is overdrive.
styles:
- Blues, Blues Rock, Fusion, Classic Rock

Distortion -
Distortion is what makes metal, rock, punk, grunge, etc... sound the way it does. you know what i mean, the crunchy riffs the screeming pinch harmonics and solos , that dirty ass bone crunching sound of death and pain marching across the land AAAARRRGGHHHH!!! that my friend, is distortion. Distortion is, sound wise anyways, a very extreme version of overdrive. That?s why a lot people think they're hearing distortion when they hear overdrive. Distortion cuts off the extreme high and low frequencies. In other words, it eliminates the highest highs and lowest lows, creating a distortion effect. distortion ranges from mild to ball shattering in intensity and thickness.

styles
- Punk, Grunge, Heavy Metal, Death Metal and all other forms of metal you can think of

from the amp sticky at the top of the page, because i see some iffy posts in here.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by kumamilesbear
i personally use both. i use my amp's distortion (or ds1 when i'm running through a crap amp), and use a blues driver to boost the signal above the rest of the band to take a solo, or just boost the signal for leads and whatnot. but i like to use the two together, works wonders.

I like playing Rolling Stones and The Who, but I also enjoy AC/DC, Gun's and Aerosmith.

Even though I already have a light OD for base, it's too mild for soloing or maybe lead. So I'd like to know if you'd recommend a DS1 for soloing.

Thanks!
Don't bump an ancient thread.

Anyways, if you want to boost your amp into dirtier territory, i'd go with some form of overdrive.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator