is the epi lp custom really worth the difference in price to the standard?
apart from visually, there doesn't seem to be that much different
Well, have you played either?
I have a standard. And I like the look of the custom better. But they don't make a custom in gold.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
epi custom was handmade by childs and the stardard by a robot.Also custom has better pickups.custom sounds better.
Quote by truespin
Well, have you played either?
I have a standard. And I like the look of the custom better. But they don't make a custom in gold.

i'm a lefty so the closest i get to trying many guitars is watching other people play or if they happen to stock them in left handed.
Also custom has better pickups./QUOTE]Nope, since Epi's big overhaul a little over a year ago (when they also started making the Standards and above with the same proper woods as the full Gibson versions), the Standards have been fitted with the same pickups as the Customs.

Essentually, the only difference between the Standards and Customs now is:
- Finishes
- Custom hardware is made to a slightly higher standard and gold plated
- Customs use slab wood a grade higher than Standards (Customs, and all the Epis higher than Customs, now use the same grade mahogany as actual Gibson Les Paul Standards. Yes, really).

In short, if you find one of the rare, good, new Customs, upgrade it's pickups and bridge, and so long as you don't mind the Epi neck profile, you will end up with a guitar that is literally, the same quality spec as an actual Gibson that cost three times as much.
The Standard... well you'll get halfway there, but it'll be missing that final 'spark'.

And of course, that's assuming you do find one of the very rare, very good ones. Most Epis are lemons though, and not worth touching with a barge pole.
I was wondering the same... Custom or Standard?

Quote by bokuho

Essentually, the only difference between the Standards and Customs now is:
- Finishes
- Custom hardware is made to a slightly higher standard and gold plated
- Customs use slab wood a grade higher than Standards (Customs, and all the Epis higher than Customs, now use the same grade mahogany as actual Gibson Les Paul Standards. Yes, really).

So the Epi LP Customs have better hardware and better wood?
I didn't know that.
Got a custom,love how it plays,looks,seems to have pwned the standards i played at the shop,so,i bought one
WTF is with you people? The EPIPHONE customs are exactly the same as the standards minus the maple top (unless its the custom plus).

They have the exact same pickups and are exactly the same quality. They don't get paid special attention in the factory, they just get a different paint job.

And NO, they are definitely not handmade.

GIBSON standards Vs GIBSON customs is a different matter entirely.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
lol i luckly own two rare epi's by the sounds of it.
im thinking the same about the standard and custom. i love the look of the custom alot better but i love the honey burst on the standards.sucks ass though. the standars have a natural wood neck but the customs are painted right?
Quote by Tiksi
people who think that the tuning peg things have to be straight. I went to the bathroom once, I come back, and my friend detunified my guitar, and then asked why it sounded weird. ARGG!!!

Quote by damienblack333
i like customs over standards. the neck feels alot better to me

So... they have a different neck profile?
^ i don't think you can get them in the UK...

i'd consider an edwards, there's a left-hand les paul model I think. you might not be willing to stretch to that, of course (or willing to order from japan).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?