AHHHHHHH! I want it sooooo badly but I vaguely rember someone telling me not to get it.I havent tried it out but Im looking forward to it.Im only looking for a bass to play in my room on a Crate bt, not anything live.Can anyone tell me why I shouldnt get this bass?
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
I didn't like them, I found them uncomfortable and the different bass modes were disappointing, plus they aren't cheap.

If it's just for playing about in your room then get a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz or Precision bass.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I didn't even know that line 6 made basses, if I were you I would get a Fender 5 string or a Ibanez, they will be much better in the end.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by c3powil
I listened on their site http://line6.com/variaxbass/movies.html and i like all the sounds.Do they actually sound like that?

Ish, a member of talkbass recently recorded every sample himself to show people the TRUE sound of the variax.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376657
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Line 6, in general, is a good company. They reaseon I don't endorse them much, and the reason that not many people do, is the fact their entire goal is to imitate. You'll never have your own, unique sound with Line 6 because all it intends to do...is imitate. It's never -quite- as good as the original, but in saying that, it produces a wide variety of famous sounds and does get the job done.

If you're okay with the complete lack of...feeling and uniqueness in the bass, go for it. I rather my instruments have -my- sound, but if that's not the case for you and the versatility appeals more, then it's definately a good bass.
good example of the variax line is as followed. a few years ago, fender teamed with roland to create a roland ready strat. it played awesome as long as you had the roland amp to back it. on anything else it sounded like crap. line six did the same thing with the variax. they sound like crap out of anything but line six. i played one my last visit to guitar center and wasnt impressed with it or the line 6 bass amp. if you want to shell out that kinda money and want something good. get a schecter stiletto custom 4, 5 or 6 or a higher end line to almost anything else
With the Variax, you're paying $500 for the bass and $1000 for the technology inside it. I played one and it was cool, but it wasn't going to replace anything for me. Some of the modes (multi-string, acoustic, fretless) were just ****e.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I believe there's a few people that have bought Variax basses, taken out the electronics and put them in a bass that feels nice to play and junked the body.

Have you tried blind comparisons though? If you need a load of bass sounds but only want one instrument, then it could well be for you. I'd take one bass with a sound I absolutely love over one bass that gets close to a load of sounds any day though. Depends on what you need it for I guess.
The Precision model is pretty close to an actual Precision. Some of the models aren't very good though. It all depends on what tone you want. The Variax may have the tone you're looking for. I'd definitly try it out and if you find a certain model on it you really like, try the actual bass. Be warned, if you do get one though and there is something wrong with the electronics, you won't be able to fix it yourself.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Okey dokey palls, anything else?
Quote by damienblack333
good example of the variax line is as followed. a few years ago, fender teamed with roland to create a roland ready strat. it played awesome as long as you had the roland amp to back it. on anything else it sounded like crap. line six did the same thing with the variax. they sound like crap out of anything but line six. i played one my last visit to guitar center and wasnt impressed with it or the line 6 bass amp. if you want to shell out that kinda money and want something good. get a schecter stiletto custom 4, 5 or 6 or a higher end line to almost anything else

First Variaxs: 2003

LowDown Announced: 2006

Yeaaaaaaah.
Wow, somewhere else I saw a variax bass for 1000+ dollars and ive been talking about the 500 dollar version.