Alright fellow UGers, I am currently learning in math how to use limits to find tangents. I am horribly confused. If someone could show me how to do the following question, I would be grateful

Find the slope of the tangent to the curve at the given point:

y = 1/x at (2,1/2)
using the formula -- (f(x) - f(a)) / x-a preferably plz

(the answer is -1/4 according to the back of the textbook)

thx in advanced

pepsi :liplickL
:
Quote by pepsi_lovr
Alright fellow UGers, I am currently learning in math how to use limits to find tangents. I am horribly confused. If someone could show me how to do the following question, I would be grateful

Find the slope of the tangent to the curve at the given point:

y = 1/x at (2,1/2)
using the formula -- (f(x) - f(a)) / x-a preferably plz

(the answer is -1/4 according to the back of the textbook)

thx in advanced

pepsi :liplickL
:

Boy that really backfired eh?
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
u in alg. II?
cause i'm in geometry, and i don't think i know how to do that.
Quote by ratracekid111
And the Tax! Dear God! When I only get one virgin a month, I want the whole freakin' thing! The damn government shouldn't be chopping it in half
It's sad that I did this stuff in Calculus no less than a month and a half ago, and I can't remember how to do it.
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
Y=1/x
f(x)-f(a)/x-a
lim(xapp2) [(1/2)-(1/x)]/[x-2]
lim(xapp2)[(x-2)/2x]/[x-2]
simply fraction (x-2)/2x X -1/(x-2)
lim(xapp2)[-1/2x]
plug in limit. m=-1/4
Quote by orangepaint
It's sad that I did this stuff in Calculus no less than a month and a half ago, and I can't remember how to do it.

agreed
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
Differentiation!

Two ways to do it. You might just find out that ( 1/(x+Δx) - x )/Δx approaches -1/x^2 as Δx approaches zero, and then sub 2 into -1/x^2, giving you -1/4, OR you could sub 2 in for x (but not Δx) at the top, giving you the same answer.

Your formula is dumb.
Quote by Meths
Really, it's quite gutting that we'll all be dead by the time the earth is entirely underwater because I really want to stick your head underwater while standing on Everest and say "if sea levels aren't rising, HOW COME YOU'RE DYING?!"