work on modes or get a book of scales if that's what you want. learn chords. shred.
Quote by :Vicious--
how did u guys get from pit flags to mace windu raping kids using an ice cream truck

Quote by -Vogel-
"Don't touch my buttsecks"
ok this may sound completly stupid but if im righting songs and using like random power chords how do i know which key im in?
Forget about "the 5 forms" - it's just one scale...5 notes that repeat all over the place. The 5 patterns are NOT the scale, they're just a convenient way to break up the scale over the whole fretboard to help you navigate.

However you still need to actually learn the scale itself, as in the notes it contains and the intervals, before you can do anything useful with the boxes. You're supposed to come to the boxes right at the end, once you've fully learned and understood the scale, but invariably people start with them as they're "easier"....well of course they are, but they don't actually teach you anything.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
asteven seagull elaborate man..im curious about this i need to learn more, man...i mean i can play fine but when it comes to scales and and stuff i need more knowledge dude,, give me the basics man
Alright here you go, this is from a laymans point of view i can play rock solos good and then everything goes blank. For a real simple song some I - IV - V - I stuff that E then A then B then back to E in the key of eye just use the pentatonic scale starting at E and just go crazy hammer on and pull of from notes in the scale bend up and down to and from notes in the scale as long as you stay in time and within the 5 notes of the scale (the boxes) everything is gonna sound good.

If you cant figure out what key your songs are in just record them and play notes from the scale you think its in if it sounds good your on the money if not try another scale, and example is a new song my band played it goes B-A-D B-A-E in a back in black sorta way i played the solo in A just ripping through the box then i realised it didnt sound good, moved up two frets to B and the bingo thats what key it was in gotta good solo for it to now.

Thats not the best explanation but if you gots some specific questions i'll try to answer a bit better.
Quote by tgd21
asteven seagull elaborate man..im curious about this i need to learn more, man...i mean i can play fine but when it comes to scales and and stuff i need more knowledge dude,, give me the basics man

Scales are just constant, repeating patterns of notes that span a single octave. What really characterises a scale is not so much the notes, but the intervals between them, that interaction between the notes is what gives any given scale it's specific feel.

However, the important things with scales are notes and intervals...the sounds you get from it. Obviously if you're a guitarist then you need to be able to locate those notes and use it to make the sounds, however where you put your fingers isn't actually all that important. By that I mean you don't need to worry about learning that way, because if you can find the notes on the fretboard and know the notes of the scale then you KNOW where your fingers need to go to play it and you don't need to rely on boxes or tabs.

That being the case, you can't actually learn scales until you know the notes on the fretboard. Also, pretty much everything in music theory, scales, chords etc refers back to the major scale, and if you don't know it you're missing the one piece of knowledge that ties it all together. If you want to learn some theory learn the notes on the fretboard, learn how the major scale works and take it from there.

I'd also recommend watching the 4 programmes about music theory linked to here, they're brilliant.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=729067
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com