I've pretty muched decided on getting a custom Carvin as my 2nd guitar in April(yeah I know its a long time away).I've got a few questions before I decide on which on model and features I want.

#1.What are the pros and cons of a neckthrough guitar vs. a bolt on

#2.I want a chunky,clear,focused rhythm tone,and a smooth,clear,articulate lead tone.

What wood and pickup combination should I get?

Kinda like Alex Skolnicks tone in the song Trial by Fire by Testament heres a video if you dont know the song

I also like Chuck Schuldiners tone from the Symbolic album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E48UihPXujM

#3.Whats the difference between a tung oil neck finish and the clear satin one.

#4.Can you tell me the difference between the neck radius options.I really like Jackson necks and sort of want something similar to that.

If theres any other information you feel I should know before ordering please share it.
Last edited by Galapogos at Dec 5, 2007,
1) Neckthroughs have basically no heel, Bolt-ons can be replaced
2) What amp do you have?
3) Tung oil is an oil finish that is super slick. Satin is just a normal satin clearcoat I believe
4) You can only adjust the fretboard radius, not the neck profile. Carvins have a similar neck profile to Jacksons, I believe. The bigger the fretboard radius, the flatter the fretboard. Flatter fretboards make bends easier, curvier fretboards make chording easier.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
1) Neckthroughs have basically no heel, Bolt-ons can be replaced
2) What amp do you have?
3) Tung oil is an oil finish that is super slick. Satin is just a normal satin clearcoat I believe
4) You can only adjust the fretboard radius, not the neck profile. Carvins have a similar neck profile to Jacksons, I believe. The bigger the fretboard radius, the flatter the fretboard. Flatter fretboards make bends easier, curvier fretboards make chording easier.

I have a Vox AD15VT,I really like the sound I get out of it,and dont feel the need to upgrade seeing as I don't gig or play in a band.Just play in my bedroom really.

So what would you recommend a 12" fingerboard radius which is standard or pay $40 extra for a "14?
I thought tung oil finish meant you end up with a smooth sanded wood surface, in fact I'm pretty sure of that. You end up basically with sanded wood that is not clearcoated or stained/painted in any way.

You can get a tung oil neck or entire guitar (which is what I'm getting when I get around to ordering one)

Last time I was at the Carvin factory (~3 weeks ago) they said the expected build time for a guitar I ordered that day was 2 1/2 months, just in case you didn't already know Carvins take a long time to build but at worth the wait for sure.
Quote by Remonster
I thought tung oil finish meant you end up with a smooth sanded wood surface, in fact I'm pretty sure of that. You end up basically with sanded wood that is not clearcoated or stained/painted in any way.

You can get a tung oil neck or entire guitar (which is what I'm getting when I get around to ordering one)

Last time I was at the Carvin factory (~3 weeks ago) they said the expected build time for a guitar I ordered that day was 2 1/2 months, just in case you didn't already know Carvins take a long time to build but at worth the wait for sure.

Yeah the wait time doesnt really bother me,by the time I get it,it should be the beggining of summer giving me like 2 months to play it non stop and not worrying about school.
Quote by Remonster

Tung Oil means you get something finished with Tung Oil.

For body and pickups, maybe the M22s in mahogany or alder depending on how much warmth you want. Probably alder as far as I can tell from that video.
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by Galapogos
I have a Vox AD15VT,I really like the sound I get out of it,and dont feel the need to upgrade seeing as I don't gig or play in a band.Just play in my bedroom really.

So what would you recommend a 12" fingerboard radius which is standard or pay $40 extra for a "14?

Well, Gibson's have 12" radius necks, Ibanez are usually 14". You're choice.

As for the pickups...I wouldn't upgrade from Carvin humbuckers to Carvin humbuckers. A guitar that nice should have better pickups than what Carvin offers. I would buy some custom handwound pickups, something along the lines of Wolfetone, Bareknuckle, Stephens Designs, Bill Lawrence.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer

As for the pickups...I wouldn't upgrade from Carvin humbuckers to Carvin humbuckers. A guitar that nice should have better pickups than what Carvin offers. I would buy some custom handwound pickups, something along the lines of Wolfetone, Bareknuckle, Stephens Designs, Bill Lawrence.

Also a good idea, although buying pickups that are more expensive than your amp is a little silly .

Maybe down the road throw some boutiques in there
Quote by utsapp89
Wait, so quick question...

I've never played a Jackson for some reason before, but do they have a smaller neck profile then say a Les Paul?
"Don't panic, everything is falling neatly out of order"
- Douglas Adams
The neck profile is much thinner than a Les Paul. It's thin, but not too thin, its still thick enough to be comfortable and not cramp your hand. For the neck finish, I'd recommend tung oil. Feels almost like bare wood, and basically is the smoothest neck you can get. I second mesa's opinion on upgrading pickups, but first, as has been said, the biggest factor is you amp. You'll appreciate the tone of a nice guitar like a Carvin through a better amp, even a nice tube combo. Oh yeah, about fretboard radius, go for 14" if you play metal, and SS frets. Smoothest bends...EVER