Page 1 of 2
Hey im new to this forum. Been playing guitar for a a few months now and I want to upgrade from my Ibanez *Not even made anymore*. So I want a new guitar for christmas but I also have a crappy amp. I cant decide on which to get! What do you guys think?

Good guitar *Schecter Hellraiser maybe* Or Good amp *Crate 120 watt*
hmmm get a tube amp O.o, i love crate amps, but if u can afford a 120er then you can get a ok tube amp. what type of music you like? what amp you got know? what sound are you looking for?
Budget? I'm guessing you play metal. DO NOT GET THE CRATE OR YOU WILL BE ANALLY RAPED BY THE GHOST OF EVERY DEAD GUITAR GOD!
Just realized this in wrong section i think :p

Oh I play mostly metal but then on clean for guitar lesson practice. My current amp is a Line 6 15 watt. Basicly its S**T. When I go to jam with my friends I cant even hear it and im forced to hijack my friends 75 watt :p
So is Crate Bad? I cant find the Tag that says my Guitars model and I cant find it on any site. It was $150 so you get the idea

Budget no more than 350. Maybe a bit more :p
Just did :p

$350-400. Could be cheaper of course. Im guessing you chose amp over guitar
Used b-52 or randall rg50tc. (Do I recommend those too much?) If you can't go tube for some reason get a Roland Cube or Peavey Envoy/Bandit.
Quote by ^__^
Not powerfull enough

BULL****! Biggest newb mistake. 15 tube watts is 2.5-3 the power of a 15w SS, and the OD channel on the other hand........ Also about the rg50tc and other amp I said USED. And 560 is CHEAP for a metal amp. Also to the guys recommending palominos. He said he played metal, modern metal, can a tube screamer/ocd EVEN get modern metal level gain? If not I would go with my recommendation. Also the extra wattage would better for that big low end and br00talz tone.
But with my 15w I cant hear myself over the bass,drums or other guitar

Lol and ill see about those bigger amps. The randall looks good. Plenty Br00tal :p
Quote by Hellscream91
BULL****! Biggest newb mistake. 15 tube watts is 2.5-3 the power of a 15w SS, and the OD channel on the other hand........ Also about the rg50tc and other amp I said USED. And 560 is CHEAP for a metal amp. Also to the guys recommending palominos. He said he played metal, modern metal, can a tube screamer/ocd EVEN get modern metal level gain? If not I would go with my recommendation. Also the extra wattage would better for that big low end and br00talz tone.

Even bigger mistake. wattage isn't directly related to volume, it's related to headroom. Secondly, while wattage is minutely related to volume, 10 watts is only half as loud as 100 watts.

A tubscreamer/ocd can stack enough gain with the palomino to do modern metal. Not uber deth metal, but most grounds can be covered, albeit sloppily. The palomino's gain stages are partly transistor based, there's more gain behind it that it seems.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
well, if you want to impove your sound, get a tube amp, if you want to improve your apperance, get a guitar
I dont care about apperance, I want good sound but are these tube amps good for metal? And for 400 bucks most are like 20 watts. Thats seems so low even though you guys say they are loud. I think i need to go test one or soemthing
Quote by Reincaster
Even bigger mistake. wattage isn't directly related to volume, it's related to headroom. Secondly, while wattage is minutely related to volume, 10 watts is only half as loud as 100 watts.

A tubscreamer/ocd can stack enough gain with the palomino to do modern metal. Not uber deth metal, but most grounds can be covered, albeit sloppily. The palomino's gain stages are partly transistor based, there's more gain behind it that it seems.

I didn't say it was 2.5 times louder, I said it was seemingly 2.5 times more powerful in wattage so a 15w tube would sound like a 45w SS in most cases which is enough to gig at cranked volumes but it would sound good cranked. And also sorry bout the misconception about the OCD/tubescreamer. Also if you're going to crank the amp alot get a booster because that provides more REAL overdrive. EDIT: If you want more headroom go with my suggestion of a Randall rg50tc.
I suggest you research on the difference between SS and tube amps. There are some great threads here about that I think. Or you can always use google.
Quote by ^__^
But do these Tube amps sound WAY better than SS?

If you want distortion, definitely. Some SS amps (i.e. Roland Jazz Chorus) have amazing cleans, and some of them will get you a nice metal crunch, but those are at least $700, and a tube amp will far surpass an SS amp tone-wise in your price range. And about the "But can it do metal?" question...The thing about tube amps is that they actually sound better (or at least good) the harder you drive them and the louder you turn them up, whereas solid states just get obnoxiously buzzy and muddy. You can get a good metal tone out of the cleanest tube amp in the world, if you get a graphic EQ and chain enough boost pedals together.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
Exactly
I dont want to buy like 4 pedals for like 50-100 each to make it sound good >_>
I cant afford that

But what you say about turning it up louder/sounding better sounds likea good thing.
I want good metal tone like "out of the box"
No pedals n stuff
well, the cheapest metal tone "out of the box" would be the randall rg50tc.
I heard the flextone pre-amp was pretty good in the crate amps but once you turn it up.....eeeew although if it's for practice the 120 should have a lot of headroom for practice or possibly band practice. You might also want to look at the vox valvetronix series.
Mister ^__^

One thing for you to keep in mind

Tube > SS (Solid State)

Much more expensive, but much more worth the money

However, not sure if tube would be the way for you to go according to the sound you're looking for.

Go to your local and try out different brands of amps that you can afford, and things that are a little above your price range. If you find something you really like then get it, if not, try the ones that are a bit more expensive and save up for one if you find one you really like.

If you can't find an amp you like, don't buy one until you do.

And for the love of god, please don't buy a behringer

Biggest mistake of my life
Quote by Hellscream91
I didn't say it was 2.5 times louder, I said it was seemingly 2.5 times more powerful in wattage so a 15w tube would sound like a 45w SS in most cases which is enough to gig at cranked volumes but it would sound good cranked. And also sorry bout the misconception about the OCD/tubescreamer. Also if you're going to crank the amp alot get a booster because that provides more REAL overdrive. EDIT: If you want more headroom go with my suggestion of a Randall rg50tc.

Again, a 45 watter isn't that much louder than a 15 watter either.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Page 1 of 2