When someone is learning guitar, do you all think they should learn every chord, all the scales, knowing how to play every single fret/note using sheet music? Or does it really matter?

I'm not going either way, If I don't have to learn it, ok, less time spent, if I do have to learn it, ok, I'll learn the hell out of it, then.

Because I know some good guitarists who taught themselves completely from tabs, and I know almost no people who even know how to read sheet music. But I do like classical music (shh) which is supposed to be played 'proper', and I honestly think that anyone who plays and doesn't know any of that stuff can't call themselves a musician. But maybe I'm thinking it's too big a part of music, when really - it isn't?

So - Should I take the time to learn all the stuff (I've got the books for all of it from when I quit my music theory/lessons, I also got full version of Guitar pro to learn the note/sheet music thing), or should I just keep playing random solo's, rhythm, etc from tabs to learn on my own that way?
the best advice i can give is to just do whatever you enjoy. don't make guitar seem like a chore. might not be the advice you were looking for, but it's the best i can give
if u want to play jazz or classical i would deffinately read sheet music. and if you want to shred you need at least a basic understanding of scales. chords will just come natural it helps to just learn the major and minor ones
Quote by stratrocker
the best advice i can give is to just do whatever you enjoy. don't make guitar seem like a chore

Agreed
Quote by stratrocker
the best advice i can give is to just do whatever you enjoy. don't make guitar seem like a chore. might not be the advice you were looking for, but it's the best i can give

+1

But I've also played for 2 1/2 years and I wish I'd been teaching myself notes on the fretboard/scales/etc. It may be boring but if you mix it in it's not too boring and it'll improve your playing astronomically. Writing and playing with other people is wicked hard without some theory and scales, but go for as much as you can bear without it making the guitar seem like a chore...
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Traynor YCV 50 Custom Blue

Quote by Dee'snutz
YES! you, Dazed/confused, are a genius. my thanks to you, good friend
do what you like...find songs you like and learn them...then go from there and learn new chords and or new chord progessions...the possibilities are endless my friend
SHOWBREAD

Quote by cheese_weasel
Winner of the intellectual comment of the day award.
Oh, it's never a chore, like I said I'd go either way with it. I can never get bored of guitar (almost 5 years on/off playing, been playing and getting really interested in it lately since alot of musical things have been happening to me, tons of music given to me, gone to more concerts, gone from dial-up highspeed (guitar videos), I was just asking if it'd be wasted time learning these things.. Would learning all this stuff really be helping me? Would I use any of it, or would I do better not learning the scales/notes/chords, etc.

There is also the fact I've only got a semi-working amp (crackles), and a junior sized no-name guitar (I got it when I was little, and haven't been playing enough to pay for a new one, but I'm hoping for Xmas I get one). I'm sure when I get new gear I'll be that much more ready to rock.
Last edited by Dog-- at Dec 5, 2007,