i've been stuck on this for a while i am just wondering how much time is need to put into practicing sweep picking i been practicing for little over a month and still getting no progress its just sloppy
It can take a while; it all depends on how consistently and how well you practice. I've been practing sweeps for a couple months, practicing anywhere from 30-60 minutes a day and I've gotten decent, but I've heard some people say either 6 months or a year before they had it down at all.
it all depends. I thought I would take forever to learn, then I got bored of it and quit. One day, after not trying for a while, I just did it! just improvising and it came out. so just don't give up.
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
Quote by phatsack
it all depends. I thought I would take forever to learn, then I got bored of it and quit. One day, after not trying for a while, I just did it! just improvising and it came out. so just don't give up.

Yea right.
Quote by Slicendice

stop using UG as a search engine.

I guarantee that google will be 10x more helpfull and loving.
Quote by Heavil
Yea right.

that's what I thought. But it wasn't my fret hand that I was originally having trouble with, it was the picking hand.
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
If you're still clueless check out these basic facts
1. Get a thick pick(a wobbly one is useless)
2. Hold it firmly
3. Try to make the movement at the wrist rather than the elbow
4. Instead of fretting some difficult polychords, start with fretting simple chords which you already know(mainly in the major scale and minor scale). It would also help a lot if you know the intervals in these scales
5.Try doing it from bottom to top and back(this may sound silly, but it is much more effective if you practice it in reverse, Honestly i think most guitarists have no problem with the downstrokes, its the upstrokes where we get lost)
6. Instead to trying some exercises by some shredder(no offence to any of them) go google for exercises in sweep picking by FRANK GAMBALE. Trust me, he's the man when it comes to this technique, he invented it.........

All the best, hope this was useful
you sit there and practice your ass off. do it with the metronome. the best practice is with an acoustic. practice sweeping on the acoustic and than once you nail it on there you're home free on an electric. it is just a matter of slowly getting the technique. try get everything accurate make the note sound and get the muting correct and than once you have it down slow start speeding it up. the reason you learn slow but accurate is so you don't have it subconciously in your head as a mistake.