Hello. I'm a college student, crunching for finals, but I do have a confesstion: I can't get a small guitar-related issue out of my head. As always.

I'll be heading back to my 'rents house for a couple weeks, but I keep all my gear in my dorm room. So how would I practice for 2 weeks with all my junk here?

A few options I considered:

1) Take my acoustic home with me. It's simple, and easy, but I don't like my acoustic, and it's uninspiring to me. Not to mention it's big, and I have no case for it, so travel is not terribbly smart.

2) Take nothing with me, but borrow my sister's Squire and little SS combo while I'm at home. Easy and simple, again, but it's her stuff, and I'd have to fight her to practice. Also, not a very inspiring/flexable rig.

3) Take a slice of my rig home for the two weeks (an amp, an electric, and a couple pedals). Flexable and fun, but my smallest amp is a 60lb 2x12" combo (a terribble SS one). A huge pain to lug anywhere.

4) (This is my favourite!) Buy a small practice amp/moddler/thing that will fit in my gigbag, and take that and an electric home. Simple and effective, but costs money.

So if I were to choose to buy such a box, where would I start to look? I've had an RP, and didn't like it (too big and unreliable). I'd be looking to spend less than $100, and would like to get somethingreliable for when I travel around to other places (I love getting out of North Carolina).

Any help, ideas, suggestions, or flames are welcome. Thanks in advance!
psh take ur electric, build a Ruby back home, and jam.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
you could buy one of those little headphone amps.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/C-Tech-Pocket-Rockit-V2-Guitar-Headphone-Amplifier?sku=151708

also check out all these. they are all little headphone amps or just mini amps you can power with a battery

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=headphone+amp
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Ruby would own all those!

except the zVex nano. which you should get if you can dish out $430. it's such an investment. way better than any 60w SS combos.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
A pocket pod is plenty of fun for practice, without resorting to an entire pedal board. It's not as practical for live, but it seems to be what you need.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Well, I don't think many practice amps would fit into your gigbag (I can't really see anything with speakers doing that), but if you just want to practice with some headphones, my old guitar teacher had this and it seemed pretty cool. I don't really know how it works though. And I guess it's a bit more than your budget...That'd probably be my suggestion though.
Quote by ECistheBest
psh take ur electric, build a Ruby back home, and jam.

+1 on a ruby amp, i made one months ago and live the project. I did get an OD pedal for it though for the added gain I like.

Quote by InanezGuitars44
you could buy one of those little headphone amps.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/C-Tech-Pocket-Rockit-V2-Guitar-Headphone-Amplifier?sku=151708

also check out all these. they are all little headphone amps or just mini amps you can power with a battery

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=headphone+amp

A ruby is SOOO much better than any of those, i have the fender mini tonemaster and its really...tinny with the small speakers. I just am not crazy about the tone...

with the ruby he can install a 12" cab. or make his own....
or just use it with headphones...........

TS, how about a Roland cube...
or a pocket pod...
or a ToneWorks Pandora PX4D?
Last edited by moody07747 at Dec 5, 2007,
5) Use your laptop
a) If you have a mac, plug it straight into your computer. If not, get something that'll let you plug your guitar into your computer.
b) Use a program like GarageBand, Amplitube, GuitarRig, etc.
Quote by Joranges
5) Use your laptop
a) If you have a mac, plug it straight into your computer. If not, get something that'll let you plug your guitar into your computer.
b) Use a program like GarageBand, Amplitube, GuitarRig, etc.

avoid straight to the soundcard guitar setups, get an interface. BTW, mac's aren't the only computers with mic ins/line ins. The reason is because a load mismatch could lead to bigger problems, heatwise, and power wise, and there will be some latency, even if using ASIO, and even more so if using Amplitube.

Secondly, Guitar rig and amplitube alone would cost over double his budget.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
just take your acoustic, or just take your electric.
if you're in college, and are only going home for 2 weeks...well i hope you don't have so much time on your hands over xmas break where you'd need your guitar, amp, and various effects pedals. if you do, you are a very, very sad person. hang out with friends you haven't seen in a while. go out to parties or do stuff. enjoy being home. just because you love guitar doesn't mean you should let it take over every aspect of your life. and you'll only be home for 2 weeks. that's not much time at all. just take something that you can practice a little bit with during your down time.