Hey,
I've been playing guitar for quite awhile, but don't know much about Amps. I have a YAMAHA RGS121, and right now I'm using a little crappy fender amp that my friend gave me a long time ago. So basically, I'm not familiar with any brands.

What I need:

-I REALLY like the Spider III 30. My friend has one, and I like all the features, the distortion effects, size/power, etc. So I basically have a budget of around $150, and that one is $50 more.

-What are some good comparable amps that are in this relative price range? I was looking for something that is 20-30 watts. Is this out of the $150 price range?

Thanks.
Listen to Simple Kid, hes a good artist that deserves more recognition than he has.
Epi valve junior.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
the spider 3 amps arnt that great in my opinion. its got those cool presets but if you want any tone outside those you cant achieve it. its really limited tone wise.
vox valvetronix, ftw.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

But really, asking the pit for relationship advice is like asking a girl with braces for a blowjob. Ouch.

Quote by Lil Macker
i first masterbated when i was... 10, i think
or was it 9...
yeah 10
and i'm catholic, don't tell the pope, i'll be holy watered
line 6 spiders suck. get a nice tube amp or hybrid amp, like a VJ or a Valvetronix.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
My repertiore is pretty varied, but I generally play anything classic rock (led zep, lynyrd skynyrd), to some mainstream contemporary rock (red hot chili peppers, muse, arctic monkeys, rage against the machine), and even a little metal (Children of Bodom mainly)

Thanks.
Listen to Simple Kid, hes a good artist that deserves more recognition than he has.
listen he is obviously tone deaf, so fenders are probably not for him. :P the valvetronix has the best SS tone I have heard on a sub 500$ amp. also look at the roland cube.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

But really, asking the pit for relationship advice is like asking a girl with braces for a blowjob. Ouch.

Quote by Lil Macker
i first masterbated when i was... 10, i think
or was it 9...
yeah 10
and i'm catholic, don't tell the pope, i'll be holy watered
I am not looking at sub $500, I'm looking at $150. :-\
I still say epi valve junior combo.
Well, not only is it one of the very very few tube amps you can actually afford, but it's a quite nice amp actually.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
get a small cube amp those are sweet for small amps
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks
Quote by darkarbiter7
I still say epi valve junior combo.
Well, not only is it one of the very very few tube amps you can actually afford, but it's a quite nice amp actually.

I looked at those, they seem kind of simple. And they're only 5W? A big deal here is that I'm living with some friends next year. We're all renting this house, and were going to be jamming alot, theres another guitarist, a drummer, and bassist. So I wanted something versatile and fun to jam with, and be able to play a crazy metal song followed by a mellow one.

I know that alot of equipment has all those effects thrown on, and are cheaply made compared to a nice tube amp from epiphone, but it's really not what I'm going for. Those cube amps looked nice though, for what I need.
If you have a $150 budget, and you NEED something to get over your bands, the VJ is the best you can do. Save up and get a 30W tube amp.
How much more than $150 are you willing to spend? $150 isn't very much for an amp.. so it will dramatically limit your options..

I think a Roland Cube would probably be your best bet in that prince range though.. if you are able to save up more money, I would suggest doing so..
Last edited by kiefermatot at Dec 5, 2007,
I realize $150 isnt much. I can definitely afford to spend more, but I don't really need to. I have some professional audio equipment in my pc, hooked up to some nice speakers that are fine for me.

I just wanted a reliable, fun amp to jam with my roommates with. I think the cube is going to be my choice. Thanks.
The 15 watt Valvetronix is louder than you'd expect it to be. Should do the job.
Happy, lost and still unaware.
Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe & Epiphone ES-335 "Dot"
Laney VC15 + Ibanez TS808

I Don't Play Metal.