OK, I'm trying to decide which pickups I should get for my guitar. I'm either going to get 2 EMG HZ H4s, or an H4 and an EMG 81. is there really that big of a difference between them? How much of a difference does the 81 make because its active? Also, what other stuff will I have to buy to get the 81 to work? Thanks in advance!
Peace n' love
I understand about indecision, but I don't care if I get behind. People living in competition, all I want is to have my peace of mind- Boston

CLASS OF 2008!!!!!!!

Member of UG's Christian Guitarists
Dont get emgs get dimarzio super distortions.PS i dislike emgs so that is a very biased opinion.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Telecaster
Epiphone SG Goth
Ibanez Soundgear Bass
Amps:
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 DSP
Crate BT-50
I don't like EMGs either, and pickups depend on the guitar... sometimes searching youtube for what you're looking at can give you some good soundclips...
Mixing active pickups and passive pickups isn't really a good idea, you won't be able to use both at the same time (no middle position).

What amp do you have?

Active EMGs come with the pots that you need to install.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I've got a randall rg200
Peace n' love
I understand about indecision, but I don't care if I get behind. People living in competition, all I want is to have my peace of mind- Boston

CLASS OF 2008!!!!!!!

Member of UG's Christian Guitarists
what guitar and amp do u use? and what music do you play? and btw awesome song in ur sig!
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American 52 Telecaster RI
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
Orange Cabinets
Active pickups tend to sound pretty poor through solid-state amps.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by nodnod
I disagree but that probably depends on the amp. I'm weird but prefer the tone of solid state over tube amps. I do enjoy to fire up my old 51 national amp sometimes

I'm going to have to agree with Facing Us All. When I got a set of active EMGs and tried them with my SS amp they were 'meh' at best and I had (still do) a very hard time every pulling off pinch harmonics. When I use the same guitar with my tube amp BAM whole new ballgame.

Anyway, to the original poster DO NOT BY EMG HZ PICKUPS!!! Seriously, they suck hard. They are bargin bin crap that is an after thought to EMG and are thrown in middle of the road guitars. Don't even bother thinking about mixing passive and active pickups and I wouldn't even bother switching all your electronics over to active stuff just for over rated EMG 81/85 etc PUs.

You haven't told us what music you play or what guitar you have so it's pretty hard to recommend anything specific.
yep i second that one!

and if you want actives....go with SD blackouts... much better for the price!
heavy support of A7X army pm Copius
Quote by spl3001
I think we can all really agree that nothing is more metal than playing a Telecaster....On fire.

Quote by GiantRaven
The rest of the album is brilliant but that one song just really gets right on my tits for some reason
EMG HZ pickups kinda suck imo. Also, I hear it's very hard to get an active and passive pickup to work together in the same guitar, so the HZ and 81 probably wouldn't be a good idea.
It's GANDHI not GHANDI

Quote by lewymcgee
oh yea, stanleybach, what are u like the forum ass hole, stop tryin to ruin all the fun u dick head

Quote by webbtje
Stanleybach fucked a tree. My perversion is nothing.