So, I've been searching for a new amp for the past month or two now. I've done tons of research, and I've come up with a few final contestants. I'm in three bands right now, all semi-serious, and i plan to gig in a couple of months.
My gear is as follows.
Discontinued Ibanez SA
EHX Micro-Pog
MXR Distortion III
Little Big Muff (potentially)
Dano 7 band EQ
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss DD-20 Giga delay
I'm looking for tones like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2-hJtJrXxc
and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmOR1I2Q-OI&feature=related
as well as Metallica, Dream Theatre, LOG, Buckethead, and also just straight up stoner rock.
So, the final contestants.

Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
Pros:
Outstanding tone.
used by many famous musicians.
Extreme versatility.
Wheels on the bottom.
It's a mesa/boogie, y'know?
Cons:
Price. 2000+ dollars = yuck.
I don't want to pay THIS much for outstanding tone when I'm going to diminish it with pedals. (correct me if I was wrong on that one.)

Marshall JVM 100W Combo
Pros:
Huge versatility.
Supposedly the most ground-breaking amp Marshall's ever made.
Also, supposedely the highest gain amp Marshall's ever made.
It's a Marshall, y'know?
Cons:
Price. 3000+ dollars = anuerism.
So many knobs! What do I do!
100 watts is a tad extreme for just chillin.

Hughes & Kettner Edition Tube 20th Anniversary Model Combo Amp
Pros:
Price. 800- dollars =
Stellar tone. Good high gain.
Cons:
Low wattage. Also, I might buy a PA so that problem MIGHT be solved.

So, there they are.
Buying used is definetely an option.
I am also planning to get a job soon, and in BC their kickin' minimum wage up to a juicy 10 dollars an hour, so I could raise money fairly soon.
Cheers,
Fatso.
2000+ Canadian for the Mark, right? You can probably get it used for a whole load more. Why not cross the boarder to washington for a bit and search for a mark IV?
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
your problem is you sit on your computer trying to find what amp is best for you, you wont find it on the internet. go to store with a list of these amps, bring your guitar if they dont carry a similar one in stock. PLay it through all those amps and pick the one that sounds best to you!

this you know your getting the best bang for your buck

/thread
a 20 watt tube would be dandy imo. great size for jamming, low enough for private practice, and if youre playing a big enough gig that 20 watts isnt enough, they WILL have a house PA. you dont even need to buy a PA imo, worry about the amp. i would kill something cute and beautiful for a mark iv.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
i'm just asking for opinions, because, in some cases, like the hughes and kettner, I can't go out and try it, because the only registered dealer in canada is across the country.
Quote by tands
your problem is you sit on your computer trying to find what amp is best for you, you wont find it on the internet. go to store with a list of these amps, bring your guitar if they dont carry a similar one in stock. PLay it through all those amps and pick the one that sounds best to you!

this you know your getting the best bang for your buck

/thread

Ummm, wow.

Not everyone is fortunate enough to have a store that stocks every amp in the world. My local store stocks mesa's, and that's about the extent of their amp stock, other than bass amps and crate solid states.

I bought my Quickrod with internet research only, and I am 100% pleased, and impressed more than 100%
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Find a used Mark IV. I got mine for $1200 with brand new tubes in a road ready rack case and just got serviced a month ago (which cost $150), so pretty much brand new. Great amps, built like tanks, you can literally get ANY sound you want out of them, and it'll still be great.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by tands
imp a 50 watt tube is perfect for gigs and at home practice, honestly if your playing avenue where you can fit a marshall stack and other big amps there going to mic the amp anyway and play it through their system

I agree with you on that. A cheapo amp stand can sometimes work wonders with combo amps.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12