Hi I don't post very often(or ever really), but i had to see if anyone has come to realize this as well. I noticed that the overture from the musical "Phantom of the Opera" sounds extremely similar to the ending part of Jason Becker's "Altitudes." No one seems to have made this same connection, i figured some of you diehard fans might've... I know tons of metal bands take stuff from this musical but this is pretty blatant.

Let me know if I'm posting in the wrong area, i figured metal would work though. Thanks.
It's not that uncommon for musicians to use pieces from other songs and compositions in their work as a nod to their influences. The end to "Only Ashes Remain" by Necrophagist was taken from a little piece called "Romeo And Juliet (The Dance of the Knights)" by Sergei Prokofiev.
I wouldn't doubt it. But either way, Jason Becker is still one of my favorite guitarists of all time. Also, I think this should go into the 80's Rock, Shred, and Progressive Forum.
"My strength is my determination" - Randy Rhoads (1956-1982)

Quote by LedZeppelin
Life is not an isolated moment, so don't live it as such.

Quote by bendystraw
art rock? isn't all rock art?
Children of Bodom has a lot ov Classical influences too, but I'm not sure they've ever used another song for one ov theirs.
Diablo Swing Orchestra has a song called "Balrog Boogie" that sounds very similar to the jazz classic "sing sing sing" at certain points.
If you see me in the pit, know that I'm only there because the metal forum is moving slowly.
Quote by Sn^ke

i think nebarskan is a cool guy, eh wears a nile and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote by stanleybach
Aren't you proud to wear that Nile? You don't afraid of anything man!
Quote by nebraskan
Children of Bodom has a lot ov Classical influences too, but I'm not sure they've ever used another song for one ov theirs.

There is one Bodom song that reminds me somewhat of The Waltz (or something like that) but I can't remember which one right now. Also, Symphony X frequently uses parts of classical peices in their music.
It's GANDHI not GHANDI

Quote by lewymcgee
oh yea, stanleybach, what are u like the forum ass hole, stop tryin to ruin all the fun u dick head

Quote by webbtje
Stanleybach fucked a tree. My perversion is nothing.
^ Ov course lol, how could I forget Symphony X? Also, there's a Stratovarius song that incorporates similar style?
If you see me in the pit, know that I'm only there because the metal forum is moving slowly.
Quote by Sn^ke

Quote by stanleybach
Quote by nebraskan
^ Ov course lol, how could I forget Symphony X? Also, there's a Stratovarius song that incorporates similar style?

Which one? I know they have classical influence sometimes, but I don't think they've ever directly copied part of a classical song.
It's GANDHI not GHANDI

Quote by lewymcgee
oh yea, stanleybach, what are u like the forum ass hole, stop tryin to ruin all the fun u dick head

Quote by webbtje
Stanleybach fucked a tree. My perversion is nothing.
^Can't remember
Quote by Sn^ke

Quote by stanleybach
Quote by nebraskan
Diablo Swing Orchestra has a song called "Balrog Boogie" that sounds very similar to the jazz classic "sing sing sing" at certain points.

really a neoclassical shredder who takes ideas from classical music... thats completely unheared of... just messin with you though...

Yeah, must neoclassical musicians such as Yngwie, Michal Angleo, Randy Rhoads, and many others... All take their influences from classical music such as Buch, Motzart, Pangenilli (I don't think I spelt that right).

Plus as a guitar player you tend to sound somewhat like your infleunces (unless you have too many different influences such as me). So I would say Jason is a Maiden fan
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all
Quote by nebraskan
^Can't remember

Dude why the hell do you spell OF like OV it doesnt make you kvlt you know its pretty retarded
Last edited by ch715dallat at Dec 6, 2007,
Quote by Rengori
It's not that uncommon for musicians to use pieces from other songs and compositions in their work as a nod to their influences. The end to "Only Ashes Remain" by Necrophagist was taken from a little piece called "Romeo And Juliet (The Dance of the Knights)" by Sergei Prokofiev.

And the end of the solo in Ignominious and Pale is from Fur Elise. By. Beethoven.

/end contribution to thread

Quote by Tapping_Ninja
All take their influences from classical music such as Buch, Motzart, Pangenilli

Man, you butchered those names.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
Last edited by Dirtydeeds468 at Dec 6, 2007,