What do you guys think of Les Paul Studios... or the new Vintage Mahogany Studios?

Because I know some people that say that the Studios don't compare to the regular Standards and Classics. Although I tried some of them and they sounded pretty good...

(If this is in the wrong area, please move it)

Im asking this because I gotta get a 2ndary guitar, that sounds pretty good+ (or better! )

Thanks!
Last edited by Mockingbird452 at Dec 6, 2007,
I'm not a big fan of the Vintage Mahogany guitars, but the best Les Paul I've ever played is a '96 Studio .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
I'm not a big fan of the Vintage Mahogany guitars, but the best Les Paul I've ever played is a '96 Studio .

oo that sounds nice. Also, i forgot what the term was called so you can go ahead and kill me if its wrong, does "breaking in" a guitar really make the tone of a guitar better, i mean does it make a big difference compared to when it was first used?

Thanks again.!
The only LP I've ever liked was the Standard (w/ 60's neck) or a Classic (with 60's neck). Everything else feels bad.
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
studios are nice as hell just try bfore you buy
Epiphone les paul ultra- SD dist&jazz
schecter hellraiser 7

Peavey 5150 212 signature amp
fender pro junior
vox ad15
spider 2 75

maxon ts808
boss me 50
boss bf-2 flange
DOD YJM od
BBE sonic stomp
Depends on what you're comparing them to. They're good guitars, but you're paying mostly for the name. You might want to look at the high-end epiphones as well. The Epiphone Elitist models are probably higher quality than the Gibson Studios.

So, I'd say if you want a Gibson - save up for a standard or a classic. If you want a Les Paul for around the price of a Studio, I'd probably go with an Epiphone Elitist.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Studios are made of hacked-up offcuts of lower grade wood than Standards. That should be all you need to know to stay well away from them.

And yeah, a modified mid-range Epi or a stock higher-end Epi will beat out a Gibson Studio easily.

If you're really hell-bent on having Gibson on the headstock and don't want to spend your life savings on one instrument, the Classics range is typically cheaper than Standards, but are made to the same quality, from the same parts (pickups not counting). The downside is you have less choice with finishes/neck profiles.

Otherwise, your best bet is to hunt around for one of the rare, good quality new mid-range Epis and mod that, or get an Epi Elitist.
Failing those, Tokai, Edwards, Vintage, Agile and Michael Kelly all make good LP copies too.
Yeah I was also gonna look for Great sounding Epiphones that have about the same quality as the Studio. And are the Elitists just higher end Epiphones? If I said that correctly.

I just need a guitar with the Gibson/Epiphone tone thats not too expensive, one that I can use all over since it is cheaper than my other guitar.
Quote by Mockingbird452
Yeah I was also gonna look for Great sounding Epiphones that have about the same quality as the Studio. And are the Elitists just higher end Epiphones? If I said that correctly.

I just need a guitar with the Gibson/Epiphone tone thats not too expensive, one that I can use all over since it is cheaper than my other guitar.

Epiphone Elitists are the top of the line Epiphones. They're nicer than Gibson Studios - They have higher quality wood, better quality control, they're made in Japan, but use USA hardware and electronics - all for about the same price as a Studio. Like I said before - if you buy a Studio, you're just paying for the Gibson name on the headstock. I'd probably even choose an Elitist over a Gibson Classic or Standard to be honest with you. I'll probably end up buying one as a backup to my Gibson Custom.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ