I recently got hold of a new Squier and an old Fender (both Strats), and they're both suffering from the tremolo arms being, in my opinion, too loose.

On both, I can dip the bar just fine, but when swinging it down out of the way, on the Fender the bar swings all the way until it's pointing directly down - rather too far out of the way for practical use - and on the Squier, the bar swings away even further. I am able to screw both in another full 360, but then they suddenly become so tight, I can't move them out of the way at all - this is of course, also no good.

So, anyone know how I can stiffen the movement of the arms a bit so they'll still swing out of the way, just not quite so much? This may just be a very simple issue I know, but I'm rather new to trems (mostly an LP player), and I searched but couldn't find anything already for this.

Just to clarify, I only wish to stiffen up the movement of the arms as they swing downwards/out of the way, I don't wish to stiffen the actual dipping movement of the bars.
Put some crap in the hole, like something sticky. And liquid-ish.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Kanthras

i dont quite know what to say to that.....
Well, it should work. It would increase resistance, therefore making it less prone to be loose. I can't think of a suitable substance though. Maybe something like jelly, but stickier. Snot would be perfect if it wouldn't dry out.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

I think the point was, when you say any kind of 'sticky liquid' on here, the mostly adolescent user base is going to assume you mean semen.

Sigh.

And yeah, I thought about something like that, but I fear the risk of either it 1) just lubricating the screw so it swings even more, or 2) hardening off and locking the damn thing in place entirely.
Strat trems are originally designed to have a spring in there to give a little pressure. Just take a spring out of a pen and stick it in there.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
^I've tried that
Maybe it was just the pen I used but it was a pain to get it on, once I did get it on it help a little buy not much at all (also could be the spring I used) and the screw ended up stripping the threads in the bridge rendering it useless as a tremolo. Perhaps it was just by cheap bridge, or perhaps its a bad idea. I've heard other people recomend it before though, so I guess it worked for them.
Blu-Tac? I don't really know. Same with my FR. I'll make sure the next one's a screw on tbh.

But yeah. Kanthras post. Awesome.
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Want to build a Jackson, to be fairly freaking honest.

Quote by Kanthras
deviantART: Click Here
If it were me, I'd get a tap and die set, find out what size matched the threads, figure out approximately how many degrees off the trem arm is, and then use the die to cut that many degrees of new threads onto it.

But that's just me. If you try it and it doesn't work... not my fault

Peac
Use PTFE plumbers tape by wrapping it round the thread before screwing it into the trem - Keith
Quote by saxon marsh
Use PTFE plumbers tape by wrapping it round the thread before screwing it into the trem - Keith

I just tried that with my loosey Jackson trem and it works. It's a bitch to get out though, but yeah. Better idea than sticky liquids.

(woot, I got sigged )
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

lmao kanthras post is sooo sigged
Quote by chs170
Quote by Carl6661
Quote by chs170
Wow.

This is deep
Was the pun intended?
Actually no

E-married to Nikki82