When I play certain high notes with distortion like the 12th or 13th fret on the high e string or do a hammer-on to the 10th fret of the b string, it makes a crappy dissonant sound or the note sounds really choppy/broken up.
For the most part it doesn't make a difference which pickup I'm using either.

Anyone know what is causing the problem, and how to fix it?
It's definitely not fret buzz.
the string could be bent. what i mean is that when you first put the string on the guitar you may have warped it. i did this one time and my 7th E sounded like a open low b
Just to add to my 1st post:
actually now that I listen more closely it actually does it on all the strings but it isn't really as noticeable as on the high strings
Quote by ihatethischord
the string could be bent. what i mean is that when you first put the string on the guitar you may have warped it. i did this one time and my 7th E sounded like a open low b

so there's a chance that if I buy new strings it'll go away?
I dunno if what you had is the same as my problem.

Intonation or something like that wouldn't cause that sound waves to be all broken up would it? and remember it's only with distortion.
you might have a bit of backbow in the neck.
the strings might be a little low,
and or you might have a couple of uneven frets.

if you think the strings are a little old, you can swap them out for the next higher gauge.
swapping one string at a time, that will pull the headstock and bend the neck a little for you.

dont take all the strings off at the same time.

if you dont want to swap the strings, then start by raising the bridge a little then repost if you need more help
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011