I would love to buy a left handed guitar and convert it into a righty. Ive looked on google, and i can't find anything, so i was wondering if anyone here knew how i would go about that.

cheers

Neil
UG's Stock Market Guy

Hablo Español
Wǒ néng shuō Zhōngwén

So you can speak to me in English, Spanish or Chinese

My Recordings:

Dissident Blues
El Farol
Lenny
We'll Make This Work
Stop This Train
ok i dont see why you would want to but all you need to do is switch the strings. but your cutaways will be reversed. i say get a righty strat.
The look is interesting... I have a left handed Jag that I play righty. All you really have to do is reverse the action (the saddle pin configuration and such) and get a right-handed nut.
I've reversed them before without replacing the nut, and it works fine, but it doesn't sound as good, and it's hard to fix small problems without boring the smaller holes on the nut out.
But yeah, just get a right nut if you can.
Quote by metalsincebirth
ok i dont see why you would want to but all you need to do is switch the strings. but your cutaways will be reversed. i say get a righty strat.

Like Hendrix did with his guitar
"Forget it man, get with the countdown, shake this square world and blast-off for kicksville"
Quote by metalsincebirth

Just like Hendrix
UG's Stock Market Guy

Hablo Español
Wǒ néng shuō Zhōngwén

My Recordings:

Dissident Blues
El Farol
Lenny
We'll Make This Work
Stop This Train
The difference is Hendrix played a right hand guitar left handed, because when he learned playing he couldn't afford a left-hand model and got used to it... Playing a left hand guitar when your right handed makes no sense... I don't think the look is worth the extra money you have to spend...
Quote by TomC87
The difference is Hendrix played a right hand guitar left handed, because when he learned playing he couldn't afford a left-hand model and got used to it... Playing a left hand guitar when your right handed makes no sense... I don't think the look is worth the extra money you have to spend...

Converting the guitar would give me the Hendrix tone, or as close as i can get to it. But its not just the tone that i want. I think that the look of the guitar would be awesome.
UG's Stock Market Guy

Hablo Español
Wǒ néng shuō Zhōngwén

My Recordings:

Dissident Blues
El Farol
Lenny
We'll Make This Work
Stop This Train
Quote by TomC87

no hendrix is right handed and his very early performances (before any Jimi Hendrix Experience stuff) were with right handed guitars. He figured that since his right hand was his dominant hand, it would be "easier" for him to pull off some of his technique, hence he flipped his right handed guitar. As added bonuses, the whammy bar and controls were closer to him and supposedly his low strings were brighter and his high strings were fatter in tone than a stock strat. i dont think Hendrix flipped the nut, because he spent a lot of time tuning cause of the whammy anyway.
Join the Palomino Players Guild!
Guitars:
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR (18v mod; Big Block, D-Tuna)
1975 Les Paul Custom replica

Amps:
Orange Dual Terror Head
B-52 AT 212 - might sell this
Palomino V16...dead
you can actually buy special reversed strat pickups that were made specifically for hendrix fans if you want the sound.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
you can actually buy special reversed strat pickups that were made specifically for hendrix fans if you want the sound.

im wanting the sound and the look. As far as im aware, you can't buy a guitar like that. You can get a normal right handed strat with a reverse headstock, but its £500.

Im just a hendrix fan and id love to have a guitar like his
UG's Stock Market Guy

Hablo Español
Wǒ néng shuō Zhōngwén

My Recordings:

Dissident Blues
El Farol
Lenny
We'll Make This Work
Stop This Train
Quote by TomC87

PHAIL!!!Lmao
Quote by kasso
no hendrix is right handed and his very early performances (before any Jimi Hendrix Experience stuff) were with right handed guitars. He figured that since his right hand was his dominant hand, it would be "easier" for him to pull off some of his technique, hence he flipped his right handed guitar. As added bonuses, the whammy bar and controls were closer to him and supposedly his low strings were brighter and his high strings were fatter in tone than a stock strat. i dont think Hendrix flipped the nut, because he spent a lot of time tuning cause of the whammy anyway.

Thank You
Quote by chs170
Quote by Carl6661
Quote by chs170
Wow.

This is deep
Was the pun intended?
Actually no

E-married to Nikki82
Quote by theneildeal
im wanting the sound and the look. As far as im aware, you can't buy a guitar like that. You can get a normal right handed strat with a reverse headstock, but its £500.

Learn to play lefty, then.
Is that all I have to do to get the Hendrix tone, by flipping the guitar upside down. Are you serious? Wow, I had no idea that tone was due the way it faced, not the pups, amp, etc.? Amazing!! God, all the money I wasted buying right hand guitars and amps and effects and all I had to do all this time was buy a lefty and flip it upside down. Wow, I am floored.
Quote by MarleyBo
Is that all I have to do to get the Hendrix tone, by flipping the guitar upside down. Are you serious? Wow, I had no idea that tone was due the way it faced, not the pups, amp, etc.? Amazing!! God, all the money I wasted buying right hand guitars and amps and effects and all I had to do all this time was buy a lefty and flip it upside down. Wow, I am floored.

Lol!
lol. tone comes from the fingers, but you'll be close if you flip a lefty.
Join the Palomino Players Guild!
Guitars:
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR (18v mod; Big Block, D-Tuna)
1975 Les Paul Custom replica

Amps:
Orange Dual Terror Head
B-52 AT 212 - might sell this
Palomino V16...dead
Quote by MarleyBo

Uhh well its not PURELY the guitar. He did experiment an awful lot with effects and recording techniques, too.
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by theneildeal

Actually, u can, i'm not sure of the model, but i've seen them on musicians friend. They have a reversed headstock and the bridge pup is reversed. That is the best route in my opinion for u.
Quote by a_hub10
Actually, u can, i'm not sure of the model, but i've seen them on musicians friend. They have a reversed headstock and the bridge pup is reversed. That is the best route in my opinion for u.

well, i have less than £100 to spend, so im thinking of getting a used squier or something like that. A used fender would be awesome, but ive spent a lot of time scouring ebay with no luck.

Something else that i was thinking about was painting it white (i would do that anyway) and then copying the design from the monterey strat, without the backstage pass that's painted on the fender guitar.

Also, i have seen that guitar on musicians friend, and its around £300. But im not looking for a normal strat with a reversed headstock, im wanting the proper hendrix look.
UG's Stock Market Guy

Hablo Español
Wǒ néng shuō Zhōngwén

My Recordings:

Dissident Blues
El Farol
Lenny
We'll Make This Work
Stop This Train
Quote by theneildeal
Converting the guitar would give me the Hendrix tone, or as close as i can get to it. But its not just the tone that i want. I think that the look of the guitar would be awesome.

If that was possible, you wouldnt be the first or the last to do that to a guitar. Flipping a guitar does NOTHING to your tone, only the playability given the restriction from the knobs being closer to your elbow and the higher cutaways, which may i add, just gives it a disadvantage.

Secondly, do you have the exact guitar, pickups, strings, amplifier, settings and most importantly the skill of hendrix to make your tone like his? Highly doubt it mate... No offence. But I doubt many of us do. Prolly 99.3% of us dont. And flipping a guitar definately does nothing to tone, as compared to getting the gear that hendrix had.
KsE

You know they rock.
Last edited by de.sandman at Dec 8, 2007,
Actually, its thought that flipping the guitar has an effect on the e, a, b and e string because of the change in the length from the headstock to the pickups. Why do you think fender made Hendrix guitars with reverse headstocks? Fender have made 8 guitars to pay tribute to Hendrix: 5 were R/H with a reverse headstock, the monterey & hendrix woodstock clone were R/H with a standard headstock, and the Hendrix Tribute strat is a L/H with a standard headstock, but it is restrung so that R/H can play it. I don't think that its any coincidence. Maybe Fender want to recreate the look of his guitars as well, but the headstock has an effect on the tone.

yeah, im in that 99.3%, but if i ever get to the level that hendrix was at, then i will have the right guitar to make his sound.
UG's Stock Market Guy

Hablo Español
Wǒ néng shuō Zhōngwén

My Recordings:

Dissident Blues
El Farol
Lenny
We'll Make This Work
Stop This Train

Whatever you do, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CiRCUMSTANCES DO THIS!!! ESPECIALLY TO A 1959 LES PAUL!!!!
DIO FOREVER
urghh! LP's don't look good reversed.
UG's Stock Market Guy

Hablo Español
Wǒ néng shuō Zhōngwén

My Recordings:

Dissident Blues
El Farol
Lenny
We'll Make This Work
Stop This Train
When/if you flip it, a few things will alter the tone. The angle of the bridge pickup. The now reversed headstock will change the tension of the strings, but may not have a noticeable effect on the tone. If the pickups' pole pieces are staggered, they will also change the tone of some of the strings.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club