I was considering doing the proper guitar grade exams seeing as I've never done them before. I've taken lessons for 4 years, but never did the exams for grades 1-8.

I would like to have some sort of hard written qualification for the guitar and was considering asking my teacher if I can do these grade exams. Will this be of a fair amount of benefit for me, and what are your thoughts?

I think it would generally improve my playing and theory skills too, seeing as it would drive me to practice in those areas as well...
it is completely up to you, it benefits some people as it improves theory and playing, i didn't need it, but it is personnal preference and if you think you need it, if you want to then ask your teacher to recommend you a grade that is suitable for you level of playing
My Gear:-
Epi Les Paul Custom
Yamaha YG Series
Boss ME20
Hartke Piggyback - is actually quite good!!
Quote by Ben Godden
it is completely up to you, it benefits some people as it improves theory and playing, i didn't need it, but it is personnal preference and if you think you need it, if you want to then ask your teacher to recommend you a grade that is suitable for you level of playing

Thanks. I talked to my teacher and he said that it would be a good idea for me to do it. I'm not sure what grade I would be doing right now. Although my playing is pretty good, my theory is much worse...
Give it a go - your not going to lose anything.#

Have a look at the things needed to do a Grade (I don't know let's say Grade 3). If you can do it then you know you are able to do that grade.