So I recently strung up my guitar, about two weeks ago with some D'Addario .10, just like always, tuned up to standard. I was doing some of my David Gilmour insane bend exercises today, like 4/5 step bends. I'm not sure if my bending caused TOO much tension, but my G string snapped (which I'm sure will become a joke within the thread).

I've never had a string snap on me within two weeks, and I almost never snap strings doing insane bends, even when the strings are so old, they're nearly rusty.

So, what could be snapping my strings? I'm kind of reluctant to say it's my bending, as it's not a problem I run into, but it's always a possibility.

And also, if it helps, it snapped right near the tuners. Thanks all.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Last edited by MusicalMinority at Dec 6, 2007,
Wait...it snapped behind the nut?
Quote by SOADrox429
'Bring me the still-beating heart of a newborn child, and the world's rivers shall run red with the blood of the innocent.'

<\/> Fleshgod Apocalypse <\/>

haha g string
but yeah
u probably put 2 much tension on the strings
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
what's the big deal, you snapped a string! get over it! its not that rare an occurence. if your strings FEEL tighter, that's a different story; go see a guitar tech, he'll fix it. otherwise, it's just normal wear and tear to be expected on any guitar.
Quote by bi-ah!
this is UG
of course they're going to say
0H it'5 @ jAcK50l\l!??!?!
iT i5 TeH p\/\/naG3!!!

but yeah its fine
Who knows. Sometimes strings just are made with a weak spot and if you were bending them near their maximum tension it could have caused them to fail.
Quote by tunasband
Who's ug?
It could be a problem with a little sharp spot on your nut, the same thing happened to me near the bridge so just check to see if theres a problem. If nothing its just a weird string pack.
It may be just a bum set. I use D'addarios too, and occasionally only my G will break, usually when I'm stretching the string to get it in tune.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
Quote by LaGrange
It could be a problem with a little sharp spot on your nut, the same thing happened to me near the bridge so just check to see if theres a problem. If nothing its just a weird string pack.

I get the feeling thats what happened. that our it caught in the ntu and broke. I would not say too much tension though.
Quote by slash_angus_VH
what's the big deal, you snapped a string! get over it! its not that rare an occurence. if your strings FEEL tighter, that's a different story; go see a guitar tech, he'll fix it. otherwise, it's just normal wear and tear to be expected on any guitar.

Because I snap strings about once every three months or so normally, and I'm too poor to buy strings like every month.

EDIT: Thanks for all of your replies. I'm checking for any sharpness around my tuners/nut. It very well might have been a bum set, I don't know...

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by CJRocker
I get the feeling thats what happened. that our it caught in the ntu and broke. I would not say too much tension though.

Your G string got caught in your nuts? Sorry! But yea the same thing happened to me the other day with my high E, it snapped near the bridge during my guitar lesson but luckily rotosound strings come with a spare high E so i was set.
My Stuff!

Yamaha Pacifica 112
Vintage V400-12 Solid Top 12 STRING!!!!!
Yamaha F-310
Yamaha FD02 Solid Top
Orange crush 10
Watson XL15
Zoom G2
Encore PK40

Saxophone: Jupiter somethin or other