Does anyone on here own/use/used any Ampeg amps? i recently heard some stuff with the VL-1002, and it sounds good, and they seem to be relatively inexpensive, and are rated highly. Would this be a good hard rock/metal amp (and i'm not into a super saturated, loose all dynamics kinda metal).

Thanks
Quote by RG_FANMAN
Does anyone on here own/use/used any Ampeg amps? i recently heard some stuff with the VL-1002, and it sounds good, and they seem to be relatively inexpensive, and are rated highly. Would this be a good hard rock/metal amp (and i'm not into a super saturated, loose all dynamics kinda metal).

Thanks

I have the VL-502 and it is my favorite amp by far.

It's a great amp that gives you tons of control. One piece of advice would be to replace the Sovtek EL-34's with some JJ KT77's.
Random Metal-X fact:

Metal-X now sponsors: Blood Culprit!

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

\m/^_^\m/ New Songs Up!!! \m/^_^\m/
Quote by Metal-X
One piece of advice would be to replace the Sovtek EL-34's with some JJ KT77's.

that can be said for almost any EL34 guitar amp. KT77s are good stuff.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
yea, i heard the stock tubes are iffy. BTW, what's the difference between a KT77 and a KT88? i know the 88s come in some VHT amps, and the Marshall JVM series, but are the 77s different?

BTW, thanks for the response. Hopefully i can get it for christmas.
I had a VT60 in my posession for a good 7 months or so.

i liked the clean channel a lot. VERY Twin Reverb like, the crunch and lead channels were alright, the lead was very closely voiced to a JCM800, but it was too muddy for me. But i hardly use any sort of drive anymore, i play clean, so i probably just dont like how it sounds in general, same with a lot of other drive-based amps.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
yea, the cleans sounded great on the VL, and the drive was pretty much in the Zakk Wylde area (didn't he use an ampeg before switching to marshall?). Which, is like, almost uber perfect for me. I think, if need be, i'd run a Maxon OD808 to boost the gain, and tighten up the low end so it's clearer.

Thanks for the responses guys. Hopefully i can convince my folks to get it for me!
my friend has an older ampeg that his cousin gave him, its 50 watts w/ one input i personally think it sounds like crap, the distortion sounds like a wett fart even after he changed tubes. it has one 12 in speaker