So the whole "anchoring/not anchoring" thing has always confused me. when i hear people talk about not anchoring, I always people holding their arm like you do when you strum. the other day though I saw a video of Gilbert shredding, and although i've heard he doesn't anchor, it looks like it to me. Could someone explain? Here's the video.
Gilbert doesn't anchor. What you see in that video is him keeping a constant light pressure on the strings to keep them from ringing out. If he was anchoring, the palm of his hand would stay in one spot when he crossed or skipped strings, which it clearly does not.
Quote by which ones pink
Gilbert doesn't anchor. What you see in that video is him keeping a constant light pressure on the strings to keep them from ringing out. If he was anchoring, the palm of his hand would stay in one spot when he crossed or skipped strings, which it clearly does not.

what i heard here was that anchoring was when your hand touched the body of the guitar. that makes more sense though, because i've seen tons of good fast guitar plays at least rest their pinky on the body, and i was also wondering how you're supposed to mute if your hand isn't touching it.
A good definition of anchoring is if any part of your hand or arm is stuck in one spot on the guitar, hence, anchoring. Gilbert is obviously touching the guitar, but he's not anchored to it. I've seen Eric Johnson play with his pinky touching, but it moves with the rest of his hand, it's not stuck in one spot.

If you want to see some really bad anchoring, just look at John Petrucci.
So is it bad if your pinky is stuck in the same spot, but your hand is in motion?

and yeah, i thought it looked like Petrucci anchored.
Quote by Spamwise
what i heard here was that anchoring was when your hand touched the body of the guitar. that makes more sense though, because i've seen tons of good fast guitar plays at least rest their pinky on the body, and i was also wondering how you're supposed to mute if your hand isn't touching it.

just touching the guitar isnt anchoring. as long as your hand or part of your hand is not fixed to one spot, its not anchoring. you can touch but you want to stay loose and be able to move freely.
Quote by Spamwise
So is it bad if your pinky is stuck in the same spot, but your hand is in motion?

and yeah, i thought it looked like Petrucci anchored.

It's bad if any part of your hand is stuck to the guitar. Even if it's your palm on the bridge, if you don't move it when running up and down scales fast, or when sweep picking, it'll slow you down tremendously. It obviously makes less difference when you're not playing fast, but even then it still adds tension, meaning your hand gets tired easier, and you're more at risk for injuring yourself.
Quote by which ones pink
It's bad if any part of your hand is stuck to the guitar. Even if it's your palm on the bridge, if you don't move it when running up and down scales fast, or when sweep picking, it'll slow you down tremendously. It obviously makes less difference when you're not playing fast, but even then it still adds tension, meaning your hand gets tired easier, and you're more at risk for injuring yourself.

That is actually a very common misconception about anchoring. It is a technique like any other one, and if you do it incorrectly, that can happen. However, if you do it correctly, it can be quite useful. If you leave your hand free floating, then your picking hand is only anchored in one position, if that slips, your hand will move out of position and with small intricate stuff that is far more devastating than if you were strumming chords. Watch Luca Turilli playing the solo to Unholy Warcry, he in anchored, but it is very relaxed. You aren't jamming your pinky onto the guitar with all the force you can, it is a very light, relaxed touch.
i've never understood the whole deal about it, millions of people (also who are known to be skilled guitarists) do it, and some of them have a great tone, some of them don't.. from what i've heard about it, i anchor (pinky thing), unless i want a more agressive sound, just for a bar of 2, that's when i release it, the most discussed problem is not being able to play fast, absolutely not a problem, i have no urge to play any faster, it's fast enough to play any song, to express myself, and to impress and thus have endless band choices ( ) furthermore, all musicians i look up to, mostly teachers, say it's all bull### and they say there's no need to change it, as im already able of that, and my tone is very liked.. the only problem i faced was even timing in fast runs, that gets a little hard..
my whole point is, it's perfectly possible to play perfectly while anchoring, i know there are many ways, and some of them really are bad, but overall, if you keep 100% relaxed, move your pinky or whatever when you need to, and are able to play without the anchor, it's just fine.

i for one really like it, it produces a very wide range of dynamics, a warm tone, and you arm doesn't get tired at all in a long gig or session, something that used to bother me a long time ago, just let it rest.

anyway, do what you like best, as long as you don't see negative things, you don't need to care a **** about what people tell you, that includes me, so just see what to do

edit: i might have sounded a lilltle arrogant, just so you no, that wasn't my intention
in any way..
1953 Epiphone zephyr
1988 PRS custom 24
1960 Moon oct. mandolin
Last edited by Funkicker at Dec 7, 2007,
Quote by Funkicker
i've never understood the whole deal about it, millions of people (also who are known to be skilled guitarists) do it, and some of them have a great tone, some of them don't.. from what i've heard about it, i anchor (pinky thing), unless i want a more agressive sound, just for a bar of 2, that's when i release it, the most discussed problem is not being able to play fast, absolutely not a problem, i have no urge to play any faster, it's fast enough to play any song, to express myself, and to impress and thus have endless band choices ( ) furthermore, all musicians i look up to, mostly teachers, say it's all bull### and they say there's no need to change it, as im already able of that, and my tone is very liked.. the only problem i faced was even timing in fast runs, that gets a little hard..
my whole point is, it's perfectly possible to play perfectly while anchoring, i know there are many ways, and some of them really are bad, but overall, if you keep 100% relaxed, move your pinky or whatever when you need to, and are able to play without the anchor, it's just fine.

i for one really like it, it produces a very wide range of dynamics, a warm tone, and you arm doesn't get tired at all in a long gig or session, something that used to bother me a long time ago, just let it rest.

anyway, do what you like best, as long as you don't see negative things, you don't need to care a **** about what people tell you, that includes me, so just see what to do

edit: i might have sounded a lilltle arrogant, just so you no, that wasn't my intention
in any way..

yeah, I don't think something is always one way or the other when it comes to music. something may work for someone, and the same thing might not work for someone else. according to the replies in this topic though, I don't think I anchor, because although i rest my hand on the bridge I don't keep it locked in one position.

anyway, since the question has been answered, this can be locked or deleted.
Wow, why are you people still discussing this? Use the search function and you'll find out exactly what anchoring is and why not anchoring is better than anchoring.
Quote by Vomit Rapist
Wow, why are you people still discussing this? Use the search function and you'll find out exactly what anchoring is and why not anchoring is better than anchoring.

the reason that i posted a new topic is because the chance of there already being a topic asking a question about this same video is highly unlikely. The reason the discussion changed to what anchoring is, is because the fact that a while back I saw people here post a definition of anchoring that was different than what people said now. it's not a big deal at all.