Page 7 of 7
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world
705 IQ
I see you all had fun today, mm? I couldn't care less about this band but that comments section... Anything ever posted on review comments with even a hint of intelligence, rationality, or objectivity is scorned. So bizarre. And Sam, you needn't take that kind of shenanigans. That dude was way out of line about that shoop thread. He's probably just jelly but if that's the true intention of that thread then you shouldn't allow it to continue.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

PSN: esunax
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by Kytokinesis
And Sam, you needn't take that kind of shenanigans. That dude was way out of line about that shoop thread. He's probably just jelly

Yes, but I figured that cussing him out over it would be a waste of time. I sent him a PM to the effect of "look, if you don't like my opinion...whatever". I also tried to make peace with him because I do generally like him and he is friended on my account.

Anyway, it's whatever. Done with now.

but if that's the true intention of that thread then you shouldn't allow it to continue.

The way I take it, due to what people in the Pit Chat Thread have said, is that everyone's just having fun. I've told Element (or lolmnt, as he's called now, lol) that I'm fine with it, as long as there's no breaking of the forum rules and people keep any homoerotica to a minimum. Since everyone has (so far) been rather polite to me about it (in that they've respected my general wishes), I don't see an issue with it.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 3, 2013,
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
My copy of the album finally arrived so I should be able to weigh in my 2 pence soon.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
@Duncang:
lol, some insulted fan apparently thought he could say you went "full retard" stretching the Anthropocentric concept. Honestly, do people even understand the meaning of phrases (like "full retard", in this case) anymore?
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 5, 2013,
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
"Full ******" is a Tropic Thunder reference. One should never go FULL ******.

And the Anthropocentric? So Centralised Anthropomorphism (ie: Giving Animals human-like attributes.)

Does that even relate to anything?

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Geldin
1,677 IQ
Quote by ChemicalFire
And the Anthropocentric? So Centralised Anthropomorphism (ie: Giving Animals human-like attributes.)

Does that even relate to anything?

I've always been under the impression that Anthropocentric related to the different models of the start system (geocentric vs. heliocentric). An anthropocentric model would be a literal case of the universe revolving around you.
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
Ah okay.

That makes a little more sense.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Braykah
Registered Badass
1,636 IQ
I've been thinking about getting into this band's music for some time, is there any specific album you would recommend listening to first?
Geldin
1,677 IQ
Depends on what sound you prefer. Their new stuff is really accessible, especially if you're a fan of BTBAM's song structures (Pelagial really embodies this). If you want something heavier, their earlier material is where you'd want to start (Aeolian and Precambrian are both solid choices).
palm mute
Reserved User
280 IQ
Aeolian is incredibly boring. Fluxion and Precambrian all the way.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
ruker
the iconflict
3,368 IQ
Aeolian is pretty sweet if you're into more of a hardcore mood.
Geldin
1,677 IQ
That's what I was thinking. Precambrian and Aeolian feel like The Ocean's heaviest records, albeit different varieties of heavy.
palm mute
Reserved User
280 IQ
When I want post-metal with more hardcore in it I usually look elsewhere. The pretentious songs about rocks are the only thing this band really brings to the table for me, and I have to be in the right mood for that.

Precambrian disc 2 > anything else they have ever done

Fluxion, if it didn't have monotonous vocals, would have been up there.

I guess Aeolian is better than Heliocentric/Anthropocentric though, so there is that going for it.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
slayer_rule_\m/
Nothing is good.
906 IQ
Quote by Braykah
I've been thinking about getting into this band's music for some time, is there any specific album you would recommend listening to first?

I'm just going to give you what SONG got me into them personally.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErfmxGYWXr0

I usually really get into a band after hearing one real good song.
I think this is a great performance, vocals are better on the studio version but when aren't they?!

This song's from Heliocentric which I personally think is great for the most part, a lot of people in this thread say otherwise but honestly I don't think any of their other albums would of got me into them.
Geldin
1,677 IQ
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
I'm just going to give you what SONG got me into them personally.

I usually really get into a band after hearing one real good song.
I think this is a great performance, vocals are better on the studio version but when aren't they?!

That's actually the song that got me into The Ocean, too. I saw them on a live stream with Job for a Cowboy and BTBAM. I'd never heard them before and I only caught the last song, but I really wanted more, so I sought out the rest of their material during JFAC's set (probably the best choice I could have made under the circumstances).
ManInTheBox14
In lesbians with you
100 IQ
Quote by Geldin
That's actually the song that got me into The Ocean, too. I saw them on a live stream with Job for a Cowboy and BTBAM. I'd never heard them before and I only caught the last song, but I really wanted more, so I sought out the rest of their material during JFAC's set (probably the best choice I could have made under the circumstances).

I was at the last (I think) show of that tour, and yeah, you made the right choice. JFAC sucked. That's also when I got into The Ocean though.
Geldin
1,677 IQ
JFAC definitely sucked ass. That was a really bad show for them and it was right before their music became bearable.
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
JFAC sucked when I saw them in 2011 too

Quote by DisarmGoliath
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
JFAC hasn't ever had great live shows, from what I've heard. That said, their 2 most recent albums are what made their music bearable.
Geldin
1,677 IQ
Pretty much. Their early material sucked ass, but their most recent record is solid, if unexceptional, deathcore.
slayer_rule_\m/
Nothing is good.
906 IQ
JFAC were alriiiiight when I saw them. I like most of their stuff...even doom
But yeah this is The Ocean thread not the JFAC thread so I shall ask my Ocean related question...So I'm a fan of the big sound they had in songs like The Origin of Species/Origin of god, can anyone recommend any of their earlier (or later?) material in the same vein as said songs?

Thank you kindly gentlemen.
Geldin
1,677 IQ
Basically, Pelagial is the logical evolution of what they were going for on Heliocentric. I can't think of any songs they've done that are structurally similar to Origin of species/Origin of god, but as far as "big sound", Pelagial has you covered.
ruker
the iconflict
3,368 IQ
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
So I'm a fan of the big sound they had in songs like The Origin of Species/Origin of god, can anyone recommend any of their earlier (or later?) material in the same vein as said songs?

Thank you kindly gentlemen.

Not sure about same vein, but the first earlier song with a big sound possibly similar to the Origins I thought of, was The Greatest Bane...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeyGiS5Ufng
ManInTheBox14
In lesbians with you
100 IQ
JFAC were tolerable when I caught their set on Summer Slaughter last year, but the only good part of that 2011 show was when they and The Ocean guys ran on stage and danced around during the bluegrass part of "Ants of the Sky."

I'm finally listening to Pelagial for the first time, and imo it's pretty good. There are parts of it I'm really liking, and the only thing occasionally bothering me is that Loic kinda sounds like Maynard a lot at some points and I've never been a big Tool fan at all. Still, it's miles better than Heliocentric and I'll probably wind up liking it more in the long run than Precambrian.
Last edited by ManInTheBox14 at May 7, 2013,
The Virtuoso
L'Étranger
3,915 IQ
Listening to Pelagial right now because my friends and I have a game going on right now where we recommend each other albums and then comment on them in detail.

I've never listened to this band before, and I'm not to familiar with the genre (I've listened to some Cult of Luna and Neurosis, but nothing substantial).

I am enjoying the new album so far. Does that rustle anyone's jimmies?

Edit: I think it's funny that Duncan mentioned a connection to BTBAM in his review, because one of my other friends involved recommended Alaska (I've never listened to BTBAM either), but I still don't hear the connection too well, obviously because I am not familiar with either of the bands.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Last edited by The Virtuoso at Jul 31, 2013,
las7
Me Shuggah!
542 IQ
I don't know it's fairly obvious that there are some elements taken from other bands but it's difficult to say which ones, the one band I find similar is Burst specially on Origo and Lazarus Bird. There were some songs on Pelagial which sounded a bit like Mastodon while others were more giving a different vibe altogether. Even though the Ocean tends to place different elements in their albums I still feel they sound pretty unique and I personally enjoy most of their newer albums and I don't like Aeolian while I've listened to Precambrian so much that it has worn out.

http://youtu.be/Yj_HTI5r2X4

Burst has always been a favorite of mine
Last edited by las7 at Aug 1, 2013,
The Virtuoso
L'Étranger
3,915 IQ
I saw The Ocean live in a warehouse last night. They played for like 50 people, and the entrance fee was $5. They sounded great live, and the band members were really cool. I definitely recommend seeing them live if you get the chance.

The singer kept climbing up onto the speaker stacks and crowd diving while singing/screaming; it was awesome.

Edit:

Live set from The Ocean El Paso. Great stuff if you like the band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lULZcbdIdrc
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Last edited by The Virtuoso at Mar 21, 2014,