Page 4 of 7
WHY IS THERE NO ACLAIM TO HOW AMAZING THIS ALBUM IS!

are you all bilnd? WAKE THE **** UP YOU CHUMPS!

LEARN! EXPAND! EVOLVE! AWAKEN! ACKNOWLEDGE!
"We carry death out of the village!"
I'll give Anthropocentric a spin eventually. I've still never got into Heliocentric. It's so damned slow, and boring. At least it was when I tried to listen to it last. Each song felt like it was 45 minutes long, and I barely made it to the first half of the album.

If Anthropocentric is different, then fine, but Heliocentric is still on my "avoid" list, at the moment.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
fallen, anthropocentirc is totally different. i can listen to the whole album and want to listen to it again for hours on end. it is brilliant.
It's not really "totally" different, it's just better flowing than Heliocentric. Heliocentric was nicely subdued, but it lost a lot of their energy in the process.
where as ANthropocentric is ball crusing and soul crying IN ONE
anyone know what turning they used on Heilocentric/Anthropocentric im trying to tab out a few songs
Loved Heliocentric more than anything I'd heard before when I first heard it. Finally really got into Anthropocentric now. Oh my god I've never enjoyed an album more.
The first 4m 20s of Anthropocentric especially are absolute heaven.

Anyone able to reccomend similar stuff to Heliocentric/Anthropocentric?
With our lives based on the hope for salvation
The humanist paradigm is nothing but a charade
Condemned to inertia: a passive race
We wait and contemplate

Quote by korinaflyingv
Nah, there are plenty of bands that I think make better music.

Like.. Explosions in the Sky? Please. And don't say Cult of Luna. The Ocean rapes both those bands with an iron pike.

Also, why are people classifying them as post-metal? They're maybe 5% post-metal, 95% sludge/progressive metal. Get it ****ing right trolls.
Quote by fenrir516
Like.. Explosions in the Sky? Please. And don't say Cult of Luna. The Ocean rapes both those bands with an iron pike.

Also, why are people classifying them as post-metal? They're maybe 5% post-metal, 95% sludge/progressive metal. Get it ****ing right trolls.

Thanks for your helpful input. Develop a better ear and critical thinking skills and maybe (but more likely not) you could contend in an argument with me.
Quote by fenrir516
Thanks for your helpful input. Develop a better ear and critical thinking skills and maybe (but more likely not) you could contend in an argument with me.

Instead of insulting anyone who disagrees with you, why don't you explain to us in your own words what you think is so progressive/sludgy about The Ocean.
Quote by fenrir516

Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Callisto is about as close of you're going to get to The OCean
Quote by fenrir516

current bands (much) better than the ocean that are somewhat in the same vein :

Cult of Luna
ISIS
Neurosis
Callisto
Pelican
Rosetta
Year of No Light
A Storm of Light
Russian Circles
Red Sparowes
Intronaut
Old Man Gloom
Mouth of the Architect
Minsk
Fall of Efrafa

could go on and on
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Quote by illuminatiano

Cult of Luna
ISIS
Neurosis
Callisto
Pelican
Rosetta
Year of No Light
A Storm of Light
Russian Circles
Red Sparowes
Intronaut
Old Man Gloom
Mouth of the Architect
Minsk
Fall of Efrafa

could go on and on

I'm going to have to work my way through every band on this list now. God damn I love this type of music.
With our lives based on the hope for salvation
The humanist paradigm is nothing but a charade
Condemned to inertia: a passive race
We wait and contemplate

Quote by fenrir516

I'd say they are (on Heliocentric, at least) mostly post-metal and a little bit progressive.

Can't find any sludge in there, buddy.
Quote by Marskell
anyone know what turning they used on Heilocentric/Anthropocentric im trying to tab out a few songs

They use either C standard or Drop C on a lot of their stuff I think. I tried to figure out the beginning of Origin of Species and C standard seemed to fit.

They're definitely not sludge, progressive/post metal yes, but sludge the are not. Eyehategod is pretty much the definitive sludge band and their resemblance to the ocean is minimal.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Last edited by robertito696 at May 3, 2011,
Quote by illuminatiano

Cult of Luna
ISIS
Neurosis
Callisto
Pelican
Rosetta
Year of No Light
A Storm of Light
Russian Circles
Red Sparowes
Intronaut
Old Man Gloom
Mouth of the Architect
Minsk
Fall of Efrafa

could go on and on

Yeah I love these guys

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
I love Heliocentric and Anthropocentric. The Origin Of Species & God especially... wow. Who made your architect?!
Really been digging these guys lately. Picked up a physical copy of heliocentric a couple of weeks ago, the cover and content with the CD is so awesome
Quote by PwarDuex
your name is about as funny as a burning orphanage

Quote by illuminatiano

Cult of Luna
ISIS
Neurosis
Callisto
Pelican
Rosetta
Year of No Light
A Storm of Light
Russian Circles
Red Sparowes
Intronaut
Old Man Gloom
Mouth of the Architect
Minsk
Fall of Efrafa

could go on and on

So, in other words, I'm much better off checking out the bands on this list than checking out the Ocean. (Already into Pelican, Isis, and Neurosis. Will be looking into the rest as soon as I have cash.)
Quote by illuminatiano

Cult of Luna
ISIS
Neurosis
Callisto
Pelican
Rosetta
Year of No Light
A Storm of Light
Russian Circles
Red Sparowes
Intronaut
Old Man Gloom
Mouth of the Architect
Minsk
Fall of Efrafa

could go on and on

Beautiful post.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
So, in other words, I'm much better off checking out the bands on this list than checking out the Ocean. (Already into Pelican, Isis, and Neurosis. Will be looking into the rest as soon as I have cash.)

Pretty much, and you should mark Cult of Luna as a priority. I recommend Somewhere Along the Highway.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

This is the internet, youtube them all lol. I'd suggest The Ocean before any of those bands on that list though. Pretty much none of those bands sound even close to The Ocean. That list is actually quite laughable... it's like they named off random bands that aren't well known, thinking UG wouldn't know the difference. HAH.
Quote by ruker
This is the internet, youtube them all lol. I'd suggest The Ocean before any of those bands on that list though. Pretty much none of those bands sound even close to The Ocean. That list is actually quite laughable... it's like they named off random bands that aren't well known, thinking UG wouldn't know the difference. HAH.

Um...no, they named off Post-Metal bands. You're a moron if you didn't know that. The Ocean may "sound" different, but if the musical characteristics are similar...then that list is completely valid. How a band "sounds" is not it is assigned to a genre.

Quote by BenRaah
Pretty much, and you should mark Cult of Luna as a priority. I recommend Somewhere Along the Highway.

Will do. I've had CoL on the list for awhile, just never downloaded them yet. I've been gathering Black Metal bands, Prog Rock (modern and '70s) bands, and Post-Metal for awhile now. So, they're all competing for my limited income, lol.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Apr 9, 2013,
Quote by ruker

You'd suggest The Ocean before Neurosis? That's crazy talk.

And for the record I'd say at least half of the bands on that list are waaaayyy more popular than these guys.
Last edited by BenRaah at Apr 9, 2013,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Um...no, they named off Post-Metal bands. You're a moron if you didn't know that. The Ocean may "sound" different, but if the musical characteristics are similar...then that list is completely valid. How a band "sounds" is not it is assigned to a genre.

Go listen to all their albums.

Quote by BenRaah

Yeah, that's crazy that someone is more a fan of one band than another....
Quote by ruker
Yeah, that's crazy that someone is more a fan of one band than another....

Or hyperbole on the internet, pretty crazy huh
Quote by BenRaah

Personally, I'd recommend The Ocean before Neurosis. I feel like The Ocean is more approachable for someone who isn't into post metal (especially their more recent material). I'd recommend Neurosis for further listening, but The Ocean feels more approachable to new listeners while still having a lot of layers and depth (I hate all the puns from their damn name, though).
Quote by BenRaah
Or hyperbole on the internet, pretty crazy huh

Yeah I got it, you were only working on your post count.
Quote by Geldin
Personally, I'd recommend The Ocean before Neurosis. I feel like The Ocean is more approachable for someone who isn't into post metal (especially their more recent material). I'd recommend Neurosis for further listening, but The Ocean feels more approachable to new listeners while still having a lot of layers and depth (I hate all the puns from their damn name, though).

As someone who got into Isis and then Neurosis, I'm not looking for approachable.

Quote by ruker
Go listen to all their albums.

No thanks. The idea that you'd recommend the Ocean before Neurosis (and have basically implied that you don't even consider them in the same genre) has made me refuse to take you seriously.

Also, I don't know you as a regular by any means, and I trust the regs more than some guy who has made a total of 88 posts.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Apr 9, 2013,
Quote by Geldin

Yeah for sure, this makes sense, though it's not really how I took it in the context of the conversation

Quote by ruker
Yeah I got it, you were only working on your post count.

wat