Page 5 of 7
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
As someone who got into Isis and then Neurosis, I'm not looking for approachable.

No thanks. The idea that you'd recommend the Ocean before Neurosis (and have basically implied that you don't even consider them in the same genre) has made me refuse to take you seriously.

Also, I don't know you as a regular by any means, and I trust the regs more than some guy who has made a total of 88 posts.

And why would I trust anyone who has 1,524 forum posts and absolutely no contributions to UG? You're finding reasons to not listen to a band that you've never even heard, don't turn this around on me because you're afraid of music.

Funny that you let the "regs" form your opinions for you.
Last edited by ruker at Apr 9, 2013,
Quote by ruker
And why would I trust anyone who has 1,524 forum posts and absolutely no contributions to UG? You're finding reasons to not listen to a band that you've never even heard, don't turn this around on me because you're afraid of music.

Funny that you let the "regs" form your opinions for you.

The regs have contributed A LOT more than you. Hence why I trust their opinions more than yours.

I also read reviews and look up these bands on other websites (such as Youtube and progarchives) though.
I do my research; have you done yours?

You're just mad that I'm not sucking off the Ocean right now. Unless you can make a solid argument as to why I should listen to the Ocean over those other bands (and I'm not opposed to buying the Ocean at some point; I just consider the others more important in my arbitrary list of albums to buy), then scuttle on home please.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Apr 9, 2013,
Honestly, I could care less if you listen to The Ocean or not. Just don't sit here talking about them if you're not going to listen to them, basing your opinions on another person's opinions (read: regs and reviews). And if you like Isis and such, GREAT, I'm pretty sure they all have threads on this forum.
Quote by ruker
Honestly, I could care less if you listen to The Ocean or not. Just don't sit here talking about them if you're not going to listen to them, basing your opinions on another person's opinions (read: regs and reviews). And if you like Isis and such, GREAT, I'm pretty sure they all have threads on this forum.

If I listened to you (following your logic), I'd be basing my opinion off of your opinion. So, if I should NEVER listen to anyone else's opinion, yours is equally invalid.

My musical opinion is based off of 2 things: 1) what I hear when I listen to a song or three initially and 2) what other people say about a band or artist.

I'm sure I will buy the Ocean at some point or another. However, I came into this thread to determine whether, at this point, (having the current knowledge of Post-Metal I have [including the rather influential bands Isis, Pelican, and Neurosis]) it would be worth it to spend $10 on an album by the Ocean at this time. I have determined it's not worth it.

Why is that an issue to you? Are these threads not intended to 1) allow people to discuss the band (including where that band compares in regards to other bands in its genre) and 2) allowing people to discover the band?

Don't bother replying, because I've already blocked you. The point of these threads are certainly not to start an argument. If you want to argue with someone, go argue over in the chat thread (though you'll have a rough time there too, I'd imagine).

OT:
Is there anyone would recommend an album by the Ocean that I should buy in the future? What's their "best" album and why?
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Apr 9, 2013,
Wall of text seems to suggest that I struck a nerve... blocked just confirms it.

Typical forum nerd.
Last edited by ruker at Apr 9, 2013,
Quote by goest
While sad, we now have Palms to look forward too.

Huh
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Is there anyone would recommend an album by the Ocean that I should buy in the future? What's their "best" album and why?

Precambrian for sure. I like Fluxion as well but the variety of vocalists on Precambrian makes it the superior album.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
you guys are stupid as hell. this forum is a joke. A farce. All the regulars used to take this forum super seriously and then they realized what a big waste of time it is to argue over music and ideologies and either left or just post music recommendations now. No idea why I even came back here.

Also, The Ocean sucks. except for Precambrian. Everything after Precambrian is the most watered down and wishy washy bland "post-metal" tripe in existence. Bands labelled as post-metal used to attempt to venture outside of boundaries and experiment a lot. This band is just boring and brings the genre down just like how so many bland post-rock bands rip off the Explosions in the Sky sound. So damned lame.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
If I listened to you (following your logic), I'd be basing my opinion off of your opinion. So, if I should NEVER listen to anyone else's opinion, yours is equally invalid.

My musical opinion is based off of 2 things: 1) what I hear when I listen to a song or three initially and 2) what other people say about a band or artist.

I'm sure I will buy the Ocean at some point or another. However, I came into this thread to determine whether, at this point, (having the current knowledge of Post-Metal I have [including the rather influential bands Isis, Pelican, and Neurosis]) it would be worth it to spend $10 on an album by the Ocean at this time. I have determined it's not worth it.

Why is that an issue to you? Are these threads not intended to 1) allow people to discuss the band (including where that band compares in regards to other bands in its genre) and 2) allowing people to discover the band?

Don't bother replying, because I've already blocked you. The point of these threads are certainly not to start an argument. If you want to argue with someone, go argue over in the chat thread (though you'll have a rough time there too, I'd imagine).

OT:

I know you probably don't trust me much either as I haven't been around for long and I never post in the metal forum, and you certainly know a hell of a lot more about metal than I do, but I personally prefer The Ocean over any of the bands on that list (not to say I don't like the others, and I won't try to deny that Isis, Neurosis, Pelican, Cult of Luna, and perhaps even Intronaut are more influential and more universally loved than The Ocean)
That said, their best album is probably Precambrian, but Heliocentric is also definitely worth a listen and is actually a lot less post-metally than their earlier work. I like both, but if you're specifically looking for a gateway to post-metal you'd probably be better off to check out some of the bands on that list and then check out Precambrian.
Quote by illuminatiano
you guys are stupid as hell. this forum is a joke. A farce. All the regulars used to take this forum super seriously and then they realized what a big waste of time it is to argue over music and ideologies and either left or just post music recommendations now. No idea why I even came back here.

Also, The Ocean sucks. except for Precambrian. Everything after Precambrian is the most watered down and wishy washy bland "post-metal" tripe in existence. Bands labelled as post-metal used to attempt to venture outside of boundaries and experiment a lot. This band is just boring and brings the genre down just like how so many bland post-rock bands rip off the Explosions in the Sky sound. So damned lame.

Agreed generally, so many other more original and adventurous bands in this style.

One band that needs more attention is Whales and Aurora, I'd check them out over The Ocean personally. Sounds a bit Clone of Luna but The Shipwreck is a solid album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHvbdQlonBI
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Last edited by palm mute at Apr 9, 2013,
Quote by palm mute
Huh

Band consisting of three Isis members and Chino from Deftones.
Quote by goest
Band consisting of three Isis members and Chino from Deftones.

Oh yeah I'd forgotten about that. Could potentially be awesome.
^Well from the looks of it this forum doesn't like the Band much.

I don't get why.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Apr 16, 2013,

I saw them years ago with Dillinger and thought they were boring. Tried their albums several times since and still thought the same.
It's like illuminatiano said, there are many other bands in the genre who do what the Ocean does much better.
I disagree, I like Cult of Luna, I like Neurosis.

None have songs that sound like they could be on Precambrian.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by goest
It's like illuminatiano said, there are many other bands in the genre who do what the Ocean does much better.

Also, if an idea is french, it's bad.
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Quote by ChemicalFire
I disagree, I like Cult of Luna, I like Neurosis.

None have songs that sound like they could be on Precambrian.

No, but Cult of Luna and Minsk (look up Minsk) and Neurosis all present a better example of Post-Metal than The Ocean seems to. I've listened to several songs from "Precambrian" on Youtube; and, while it's not something I'd be opposed to buying in the future (as I said), other bands simply make better Post-Metal.
How do they all present a better example of post-metal than the ocean?
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Quote by The Wildchild
How do they all present a better example of post-metal than the ocean?

He'll never be able to tell you because music is subjective. Pretty weird he can't just move on though.

Although I'd love to see his pseudo-elitist response... should be a riot of laughs.
Last edited by ruker at Apr 16, 2013,
You're right...

current bands (much) better than the ocean that are somewhat in the same vein :

(there are none)
Quote by ChemicalFire
^Well from the looks of it this forum doesn't like the Band much.

I don't get why.
from what I remember when Anthropocentric came out everyone gave up on them because of how much better they said Precambrian was.

And even then I don't think it was a lot of people in this forum to like them in the first place.
I've seen this thread crop up and stay around for the past few weeks, so I figured I'd see what it was about.

I checked some songs from Precambrian and it sounds really cool, downloading it now. I decided to listen to Neursosis as well and they're pretty cool. I've never been really into Post-Metal, so this is sort of new for me. I do like Jesu quite a bit, though.
It'd be a wise move to check out Isis and the new Cult of Luna album too. Vertikal is fuqing genius.

But this new album is getting great reviews. I'm looking forward to a proper vocal release.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
I liked Vertikal but Somewhere Along the Highway will always be my favourite, I never found that atmosphere anywhere else. Sometimes I think I like it even more than anything by Isis (and I fucking love Isis).

So you should check out that one if you haven't already
The only other CoL I've got is Salvation... which is good, but it was a very "poor mans Isis" album. Which I know some people refer to CoL as. It wasn't a sticker.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by BenRaah
I liked Vertikal but Somewhere Along the Highway will always be my favourite

I agree with this. I'm not sure if I would quite put Vertikal above Salvation yet but I liked it much more than Eternal Kingdom.

but CoL > Isis and Somewhere Along the Highway > Panopticon
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by ChemicalFire
The only other CoL I've got is Salvation... which is good, but it was a very "poor mans Isis" album. Which I know some people refer to CoL as. It wasn't a sticker.

No comment

The new Ocean album is okay. They haven't been a 'post-metal' band for a long time though. Far more in common with something like BTBAM than Cult of Luna or Isis - their music is fast-moving and high contrast and that's especially true of the new one, lots of noodling going on
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by duncang
No comment

The new Ocean album is okay. They haven't been a 'post-metal' band for a long time though. Far more in common with something like BTBAM than Cult of Luna or Isis - their music is fast-moving and high contrast and that's especially true of the new one, lots of noodling going on

Finally heard Pelagial with the vocals, and I agree, it's okay. But I always tend to have that initial feeling towards new TOC releases ever since I started listening to them (Aeolian). The timing of the album couldn't be any better though... just in time for summer.
I bought Heliocentric a week or two ago. Not only do I love the album, I love the case design so much
Definetly going to check out their other albums, especially seeing as quite a few people had mixed opinions about Heliocentric (I thought it was great, I have to listen to Origin of species/Origin of god at least once a day to feel complete!).
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
I bought Heliocentric a week or two ago. Not only do I love the album, I love the case design so much
Definetly going to check out their other albums, especially seeing as quite a few people had mixed opinions about Heliocentric (I thought it was great, I have to listen to Origin of species/Origin of god at least once a day to feel complete!).

Try listening to some Isis or later Neurosis. Your day will feel even more complete.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Try listening to some Isis or later Neurosis. Your day will feel even more complete.

Oh...I am sorry I have never heard of those bands

And FYI I listen to Neurosis when I'm sad, very good music to be reflective to!

Or just very good music in general.
Quote by ruker
Finally heard Pelagial with the vocals, and I agree, it's okay. But I always tend to have that initial feeling towards new TOC releases ever since I started listening to them (Aeolian). The timing of the album couldn't be any better though... just in time for summer.

Is it particularly summery? I guess you could see it that way...
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
Oh...I am sorry I have never heard of those bands

What do you expect, he just got into metal yesterday.

Quote by duncang
Is it particularly summery? I guess you could see it that way...

Not really. Just some new material to blast while driving, to combat all the people that bump rap/hip-hop with their windows rolled down, haha.
Last edited by ruker at Apr 28, 2013,
Quote by ruker
Not really. Just some new material to blast while driving, to combat all the people that bump rap/hip-hop with their windows rolled down, haha.

Nothings better than driving around listening to rap music really loud.
Quote by ruker
What do you expect, he just got into metal yesterday.

Can't tell if joking or being purposely thick...

Especially since neither Isis nor Neurosis fit "Metal" but rather "Post-Metal".