hey guys,
yep thats right me again talking about Stevie ray lol.... Anyway I'm about to get new pickups but not sure on how to go about it. I was more thinking about Texas Specials and whether they would be good for SRV. Any opinons on pickups for SRV?

many thanx
striker
If i remember correctly, SRV actually used Texas Specials, so thatd be your best bet.
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
Quote by BFun
If i remember correctly, SRV actually used Texas Specials, so thatd be your best bet.

yep, get em
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
and from what I hear I think SRV probably played with the 4th position, because it sounds like it has substantial treble but midrange too. put the bass and mids up on the amp though.
A new amp would get you closer to his tone than buying new pickups if you're using the MG in your sig dude...

The Texas Specials will be the closed pickups you will probably get to Stevies...

Look into saving up and buying a small valve amp like the Valve Junior, Blues Junior, Palomino etc...
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
Quote by mck_776
A new amp would get you closer to his tone than buying new pickups if you're using the MG in your sig dude...

The Texas Specials will be the closed pickups you will probably get to Stevies...

Look into saving up and buying a small valve amp like the Valve Junior, Blues Junior, Palomino etc...

He also has the Vox AD100, I guess he's using that.
Quote by BFun

No. False. Incorrect. Negative. Absolutely wrong.

The pickups in SRV's main Strat were stock 1961 Strat pickups. The "Texas Special" were later developed by Fender to mimic the SRV tone, but were never played by SRV. SRV's actual pickups were not overwound or especially hot. SRV got that really overdriven, fat sound from cranking his amps. Don't waste your money on Texas Specials. If you want a good set of vintage-style pickups, check out www.rockmonkeyguitars.com or www.sdpickups.com Lindy Fralin pickups are another good option and can be found a few different places.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Dec 7, 2007,
Quote by Dirk Gently

The pickups in SRV's main Strat were stock 1961 Strat pickups. The "Texas Special" were later developed by Fender to mimic the SRV tone, but were never played by SRV. SRV's actual pickups were not overwound or especially hot. SRV got that really overdriven, fat sound from cranking his amps. Don't waste your money on Texas Specials. If you want a good set of vintage-style pickups, check out www.rockmonkeyguitars.com or www.sdpickups.com Lindy Fralin pickups are another good option and can be found a few different places.

thank you.

i really don't get why people think he used TS.
Quote by Dirk Gently

Exactly what I was going to say, he never used them, and tbh for the price of them, I would rather get a set of Cord's PUPs (rockmonkeyguitars.com)
Quote by Dirk Gently

Thank you for spreading the truth. We need more of that around here.
i've read in places that his pickups in his "Number One" were either:
'59 stock pickups
'59 pickups, but rewound in the factory
'59 pickups rewound by cesar diaz

but then Dirk said '61 stock...

i really thought Stevie Ray's "Number One" was a '59 tho. famous '61 user i know is Rory Gallagher. EJ and Clapton used '57s (clapton had a '56 body). Frusciante uses '62 i believe.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
The body was stamped with a 1962/1963 date (the date changes in several Rene Martinez interviews, but remains consistent to those two years), the original neck had a 1962 date written on it, and the pickups were marked as 1959 models. The vibrato unit was replaced with a left-handed model in 1977. Parts were replaced and upgraded on a regular basis. As the guitar exists now, the only original parts are the pickups, body and the original neck that was broken in the mid 80's, along with various pieces of hardware such as the jack and neck plates.
I heard '61 somewhere. Apparently '59. Either way, they were stock vintage pickups, not overwound, not especially hot, and certainly not Texas Specials
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
I heard '61 somewhere. Apparently '59. Either way, they were stock vintage pickups, not overwound, not especially hot, and certainly not Texas Specials

Actually, didn't Stevie's pickups come from a batch Fender made that were overwound by accident at the factory?
Quote by diditfortehlulz
Actually, didn't Stevie's pickups come from a batch Fender made that were overwound by accident at the factory?

Legend.

Also, doesn't a member on this forum make custom pickups? I cannot remember his SN at the moment.
Quote by TwoString
Legend.

Also, doesn't a member on this forum make custom pickups? I cannot remember his SN at the moment.

Really? I've talked to a million people about Stevie's tone, and the general consensus seems to be that Stevie's pickups came from an odd batch.

Also, I think you're referring to CorduroyEW (his name goes something like that).

Quote by striker327
well you would think Stevie would put them in his signature guitar for no reason

Well, Stevie died before his signature Strat was put into production, so Fender could have changed a couple of things after his death. Or, he could have had them load TS's into his signature guitar to throw people off and prevent them from nailing his tone.

Other than having his name on it, the SRV Strat really isn't anywhere close to his.
Last edited by diditfortehlulz at Dec 7, 2007,