Well, I got myself a new guitar last monday, and I really do not feel like scratching it within one week of receiving it :p So I was wondering, would playing standing up with a belt (it has a relatively large belt buckle made of some metal like substance.) be likely to scratch the guitar?

Thanks.

(and I do know that there's always a chance of it scratching, just wondering if this is particularly risky)
It's not a risk...you will DEFINITELY scratch it with a belt...look at the back of any used guitar...
yes, the back of my friends strat is pretty much gone with buckle rash1
Quote by Nemesis260
police is logical. or do your duty and rape him back

GEAR:
Laney BH150
Marshall B150
Line6 Spider II 15
BOSS HM-2 Heavy Metal (80's!)
Epi SG Special
Peavey Milestone III
Quote by postmortem2006
So you've never heard of the term 'buckle rash'?

I think they make a cream for that now
It's called buckle rash. Get used to it. Any used guitar is probably going to have it.

Remember, buckle rash builds character.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by JilaX^
Hmm, no never heard of a buckle rash :lol:

I guess I'll be playing in my boxers then

Then just don't get an erection....
Quote by masterk1818
or should he?

might depend on the guitar... or some nice clean channel chords with lots of raking and excessive use of the wah pedal. bow-chikka-wow-WOW!!
no, it is completely impossible for the buckle to scratch the guitar. In the far reaches of the universe there has never been a documnented case of this happening. Oh wait... this just in, ........ it wil scratch the guitar, absolutely.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
then you gotta be careful that your erection doesn't scratch it.
"Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
A guitar needs at least a couple good scratches and/or dings before it really starts to sound good anyway.
There are pads you could use to take care of this problem. I saw it a while back in either Guitar World or Guitar One. I can't remember the name, or find a site, but it's a foam pad that adheres to the back of your guitar. It's removable, about half an inch thick, and cushions the back of your guitar.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by DrNick
There are pads you could use to take care of this problem. I saw it a while back in either Guitar World or Guitar One. I can't remember the name, or find a site, but it's a foam pad that adheres to the back of your guitar. It's removable, about half an inch thick, and cushions the back of your guitar.

Those are for quitters.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Haha,
I opened this thread because i tought that it says :
"Can a guitar get stretched by playing with a belt".

Anyway to answer your question - yeah it can , if the buckle is being rubbed on the back of the guitar.
To alleviate this problem, you could buy a really smooth, soft belt buckle.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
All I do, when I am playing one of my nicer Guitars, is to wrap an old strip from a t-shirt around the buckle. Also I rarely tuck my shirt in so there is always a cloth buffer between my buckle and guitar
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
Quote by JilaX^
I guess I'll be playing in my boxers then

...or wear pants that actually fit. Or maybe, just maybe, you could stop stuffing the front of your shirt down your pants to flash your blingy buckle. Or wear your belt with the buckle off to the side (which I do).
Quote by Pikka Bird
...or wear pants that actually fit. Or maybe, just maybe, you could stop stuffing the front of your shirt down your pants to flash your blingy buckle. Or wear your belt with the buckle off to the side (which I do).

Well, all my jeans that fit (Tight pants) are in the wash, and these fit me when I bought them in the USA, and they should tbh. (Slim and straight my ass... 354 sized. I have no idea what that even means )

And, just for the record. I do not flash my blingy buckle. As a matter of fact my T-Shirt reaches down around the belt, but tends to place itself on top of the buckle, rather than infront of it.

Jedit: It's also not even a blingy buckle.
Last edited by JilaX^ at Dec 7, 2007,
Frankly the easiest way to handle this problem is to get fat enough that your belt buckle is encased in an overhanging wave of blubber.
Quote by soggycrow
Frankly the easiest way to handle this problem is to get fat enough that your belt buckle is encased in an overhanging wave of blubber.

+1