i want a new practice amp for my room and dont want to spend more than $250. i was thinking about a microcube. any suggestions??
What styles do you play? I think a Palomino V8 or Ibanez Valbee might be good for you
if you MUST have a valve amp, go for those, if you don't mind a solid state, go for the micro-cube.
Quote by mattman93
i want a new practice amp for my room and dont want to spend more than $250. i was thinking about a microcube. any suggestions??

valve Jr is nice but some report it to be a little noisy...
you could go with a micro cube and the on board FX are good. it does not like FX pedals though as it is a modeling amp.
the vj is not a good practice amp. try playing it with anything other than almost inaudible cleans in the other room from people sleeping, watching tv, etc. even Clean, people will complain.

provided you have a good amp that you like for main use, a mini cube, cube30 and especially vox ad30vt get my vote. even though there are better things than the vox tone wise, like the palomino, that palomino doesnt as easily let you go from clean to lots of gain, effects so you dont need to use your pedalboard with two rigs, a headphone jack, and an output level knob for playing very very quietly. this is a case where imo, a good SS amp is better than a tube amp. i havent been playing my VJ in a couple weeks because the people that also live where i live have been stressed and busy and tired lately. the ad330vt is imo just about the best Practice amp.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
The Peavey Valveking Royal 8, a 5 watt tube combo has a master volume and a headphone jack, $200 USD.
If you are considering a digital modelling amp, compare the microcube to the Vox Valvetronix series or their all-digital DA series. The consensus here is that Voxes have nicer tones for classic rock and cleans, and microcubes are better for higher-gain tones. I like the Voxes better, but you should listen with your own ears.
I actually agree somewhat with boardsofcanada - 5 watt valve amps are still pretty loud. If you can, maybe instead of an amp you could get a Line 6 Pocket POD or POD 2.0 and a decent pair of headphones for practice? Something I've always thought to be better than having a tiny practice amp since you can also use the POD for recording