Okay people! I'm seriously thinking of buying a mandolin for Christmas.

First of all, the is it very different from guitar? Even hard?

Then, I've been looking over at thomann, and I've seen there are electric mandolins, like this , but I don't want the acoustic quality to be brought down by the pickups or whatever. Then, you've got the typical normal mandolin, without pickups, like this . Personally, I'm much more into the shape and color of the first one, but what are your views?
Tuned like a violin ( GDAE ) so it's the lowest strings on a guitar upside down. Each string has a partner tuned to the same pitch/octave higher ( I'm not sure which ).

Spend money on an electric one who's sound you can mould and then get a good, good acoustic one you'll love forever later if you wish.
The good electric ones have the controles on the pickguard rather than built into the mandolin. I'd suggest getting a normal madolin and then getting a pickup for it later. I'd also suggest get a normal a style mado rather than the flat top you linked to though.
Like this one http://www.thomann.de/es/fender_fm53s.htm
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
The good electric ones have the controles on the pickguard rather than built into the mandolin. I'd suggest getting a normal madolin and then getting a pickup for it later. I'd also suggest get a normal a style mado rather than the flat top you linked to though.
Like this one http://www.thomann.de/es/fender_fm53s.htm

Isn't it the same, except for the pickups?
Nope. The one I linked you to has a solid top which will give you much better acoustic tone. Not having electronics mounted to the soundboard will also help your tone. If you get an aftermarket pickup you can mount everything to the pickgaurd instead so it won't hurt the tone of your instrument.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by thayes93
I cant play mandolins, the frets are tiny and my fingers go over two or three of the higher up the neck. Make sure you can play one before you buy it.

When I got my dad his one first of all I couldnt play it now I can. Its more about just learning the correct way to do it. Hard to leanr but when you do its fantastic!!!

I advise going with the non flat top non electric one that was linked. The electronics in mandolins are kind of pointless unless you will be performing soon. Also the quality of the standard ones (generally) is not fantastic.