Page 1 of 2
Im looking for a new power tube to run in my crate vintage club 20x. Guitar center dude said i should get groove tube el34's (gold series) he said it last longer..Also im kinda like the electro hamronix el34's pretty kool...groove tube one's cost $55 for two. electro cost $25 for two...**I only need 2 power tubes**
get a matched set of JJ/Tesla EL34s. from TubeDepot.com or eurotubes or dougstubes.com

JJ/Tesla makes freaking awesome affordable EL84s and EL34s.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
jj/tesla el34's have good reviews too but, im confused of what guitar center guy told me... are the groove tube el34 good??? pretty pricey...
no. groove tubes are crap. the guitar center guy just wants you to buy 'something' from him. he's evil.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
no. groove tubes are crap. the guitar center guy just wants you to buy 'something' from him. he's evil.

Yea seriously last time he told me to get groove tube 12ax7's for 2 and i bought them and he screwed me over... dang man... are electro harmonix power tube el34 good.. I liked how they describe the info of it
"Bass goes deep and is tight, mids are sweet and well defined and highs are detailed and extended"
JJ's are THE tube, (for me at least) but I've had Groove tubes before and they're not going to kill your sound or anything like that.
GC likes to price them high, too.
why don't u listen to me? visit the tubes thread too.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^it's not like an EL34 wouldn't. 6V6 is possible too. and my Fender Blues Jr. has EL84s. you can't say a single tube would sound british/american.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by life_777
Yea seriously last time he told me to get groove tube 12ax7's for 2 and i bought them and he screwed me over... dang man... are electro harmonix power tube el34 good.. I liked how they describe the info of it
"Bass goes deep and is tight, mids are sweet and well defined and highs are detailed and extended"

They're all described like that and to be honest (I've had about a dozen different sets in my amps over the years) - you wont be able to tell one from the next.
It's a bit overblown (the whole tube comparison)
Changing 6L6's to EL34's you'll hear a big difference, but changing from one manufacturers 12ax7 to another manufacturers 12ax7 you wont hear a bit of difference (only if they are failing and you replace one, duh )
Quote by ECistheBest
http://thetubestore.com/teslael34l.html

listen to people's suggestions. and don't read what it says on the descriptions. 80% of the time, it's totally a biased opinion.

Sorry it's just im so hiped up about ordering new tubes in for my amp tomorrow.. But I did see the review of that tube its like the best out there isn't it??
Last edited by life_777 at Dec 7, 2007,
lol. so are you 100% sure your amp uses EL34s? not EL84s?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
lol. so are you 100% sure your amp uses EL34s? not EL84s?

Im not sure.. Does it matter??? i don't know much about tubes (crate vintage club 20)
yes. EL34 is an octal, and they have 8 pins. EL84 is a noval, with 9 pins.

(i think...)
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Your amp doesn't use EL34's dude. You need to be looking at EL84's. In this case it does matter, the EL84 is a noval tube (9 Pins) and the EL34 is octal (8 pins)... do the math, they won't fit. You'd need some modfications for it to work.
lol.. sorry for the mix up with tube info... Is there any good el84's then???
JJ/Tesla EL84s. seriously, listen. they sound freaking AWESOME.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
JJ/Tesla EL84s. seriously, listen. they sound freaking AWESOME.

Yea read a review about them just now and people say there good man this is probably one of the best tube companies...
Quote by life_777
Yea read a review about them just now and people say there good man this is probably one of the best tube companies...

as far as powertubes go (esp. EL34 and EL84) they are. i don't like their 12AX7s tho. for that, Tung-Sol all the way. they're a bit low gain sometimes tho.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
is it the jj EL84/ qbq5 or the jj/tesla EL34...which is best??? no difference???
EL84s have 9 pins, EL84s have 8 pins, your amp requires EL84s, which needs 9 pins, so you can't interchange it.

and if you ask which one's the one's that is the best out of the kind, both are.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
omg im sorry i meant jj/tesla el84 not el34.. im sorry... that was a typo... they any different jj/tesla el84 and the jj qbq5/ el84 ?
what?

JJ/Tesla is a brand. EL84 is the type of tube. 6BQ5 is a different name for EL84. i think 6BQ5 is british and EL84 is american. or vice versa.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Thx for the help everyone im going to Guitar Center tomorrow and order 2 of thoughs jj el84's
GC might not have it. u might have to order it online urself. if ur GC is cool, they might order it for u tho.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
as far as powertubes go (esp. EL34 and EL84) they are. i don't like their 12AX7s tho. for that, Tung-Sol all the way. they're a bit low gain sometimes tho.

Tung-sol AX7s have 10% more gain than any other production 12AX7, excepting the high-gain JJ.
yea they will order it for me i hope.. cuz my dad rarely lets me... buy stuff on internet.
Quote by Roc8995
Tung-sol AX7s have 10% more gain than any other production 12AX7, excepting the high-gain JJ.

interesting. does having more 'gain' on a preamp tube distort more wouldn't it?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Good luck. Unless something has changed recently GC does not stock, nor will they order, any JJ product. They'll just try to sell you more groove tubes or electro-harmonix.
Quote by ECistheBest
interesting. does having more 'gain' on a preamp tube distort more wouldn't it?

10% is barely noticeable as far as preamp gain, what that extra gain usually translates to is a warmer and more harmonic sound. Unless you have a lot of gain stages in your amp or run your amp right at breakup all the time, you probably wouldn't notice that gain increase.

What you may have perceived as lower gain may have been instead an increased clarity , which makes the sound indeed "cleaner" to your ears when in fact the opposite might be the case. The Tung-sol is modeled after the NOS Telefunken 12AX7. I have a few of them, and have noticed this effect with them, even more so than with the Tung-sol.
Wait, warmer and more harmonic? Oh man, now I don't know if I should still stick 5751s in my V1/V2... And my amp has 6 gain stages I think (not sure, but it's def. more than a Marshall).
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Hmm in case if Guitar center won't let me order jj's is there any other good el84's out there???
Page 1 of 2