Hey all, as you all probably know, Christmas is coming. I've decided to get an electric guitar for xmas, but I'm really unsure what to get. I am new to guitar playing, I've just been playing an old acoustic guitar for about 2 months now, so I'm basically a complete noob. What electric guitar would you guys recommend? My price range is from about US$300-500, and that will have to buy both the electric guitar and amp. Please recommend me a good electric guitar and amp for this price range.

Thank you.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
get on of those epiphone starter packs
*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Quote by estranged_g_n_r
Hey all, as you all probably know, Christmas is coming. I've decided to get an electric guitar for xmas, but I'm really unsure what to get. I am new to guitar playing, I've just been playing an old acoustic guitar for about 2 months now, so I'm basically a complete noob. What electric guitar would you guys recommend? My price range is from about US$300-500, and that will have to buy both the electric guitar and amp. Please recommend me a good electric guitar and amp for this price range.

Thank you.

Well...What kind of music do you plan on playing/do you listen to?
ibanex grx20, roland cube 15

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top, SH-2 and SH-5
Ibanez GRX20
Baron Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 15
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Quote by Vittu0666

answering this would help alot.
thats actually enough money for a nice amp:

$300
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Valvetronix-AD50VT-50w-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-102806882-i1145847.gc

and a mint used schecter gryphon or omen 6.
about $200

I think those are the absolute best pieces of equipment currently out in that price range. if you get one of those garbage cheap ibanez guitars or starter packs you will just want something better after 6 months. I guarantee it. these will keep you happy for a long time.
I love my...

Parker Nitefly Mojo - custom
Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Seagull Artist Studio cutaway I-beam

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
For a good cheapo I would definately recommend a yamaha pacifica. They don't sound amazing but I think they play surprisingly well for a starter. They come in starter packs too I believe with an amp and cable and everything. Other than that I would probably say a squier strat with a cheaper roland or crate amp.
It depends entirely on what you want to play. If you're into metal go for an Ibanez RG321. If you're more into rock go for a Yahama Pacifica 112. Both of those are excellent starter guitars and are a very good platform for upgrading later on because the body wood and basic hardware is pretty solid in both.

Pair them up with a Roland Microcube and you'll be off to a great start.

If you wanted to push to the limit of that budget and you're certain you're going to keep playing (given that you;ve been playing a few months I guess you're likely to persevere) then consider a Fender Standard Strat or Tele. They'll set you back about $400 which would put you at about $525 if you went for a Microcube. I'd consider that well worth it, I can't imagine there'd be many guitars nicer for a beginner-intermediate player to learn on than a genuine Fender.
"It's not a beard, it's an animal I've trained to sit very still" - Bill Bailey
Quote by Vittu0666

Rock music mainly, bands like GN'R, Def Leppard, AC/DC etc, but also some lighter rock like Grateful Dead and maybe some classical stuff.

Thanks for the help so far guys, this is great. So Roland Microcubes are definetly the best amp for that price range?
You are like a hurricane
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Quote by estranged_g_n_r
Rock music mainly, bands like GN'R, Def Leppard, AC/DC etc, but also some lighter rock like Grateful Dead and maybe some classical stuff.

Thanks for the help so far guys, this is great. So Roland Microcubes are definetly the best amp for that price range?

no.

well, it depends on what you looking for.

it may not be for everyone, but my personal recommendation is an epiphone valve Jr. and decent cab from somewhere. They are essentially an introduction into tube amps. $129 for 5 watts of class A tube, which is PLENTY for bedroom practice. Instea of going on and on, ill make it much more concise:

PROS:
- Tube amp tone for $130 (plus a cab)
- Nice amp that you'll be proud to own no matter how far you progress, which is something that cant be said about most inexpensive amps.
- Very simple, straightforward design.
- TONS of modding (modifying/customizing) resources available.
- Very pure tone, great for building an effects rig around and using in the studio.

CONS:
- Out of the box, it's a one trick pony. I'd rate the features a 2 out of 5. But thats not why it's a great amp.
- That's it.

Instead of getting a practice amp which may eventually find it's way into the back corner of a dusty closet, buy something that you can make your own, and have for a very very long time.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
A beginner would benefit far more form the sheer variety of sounds and onboard effects from a Microcube than they would from the feature set of a Valve Junior. The Valve Junior is a great amp, no question, but it'll be wasted on someone who doesn't know exactly what they're looking for in their tone. Early on a chance to play around will be far more enjoyable than having OMFG VALVE TONE!
"It's not a beard, it's an animal I've trained to sit very still" - Bill Bailey
Roland Microcube
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Micro-Cube-Combo-Amp?sku=481169
BECAUSE it is a great sounding amp, and dont worry, it gets plenty loud. It also has many effects to fool around with.

Ibanez RG321
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG321-Electric-Guitar-with-Planet-Waves-Accessory-Pack?sku=517948
This comes with an accessory pack, and its mahogony, which is a great tonewood. If you plan to upgrade this than it is an awesome guitar.

Ibanez RG2EX1
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RE2EX1-Electric-Guitar?sku=519783

Basically the same as the RG321 but made out of Basswood. Basswood is not as dark as mahogony, either one you pick will be good

I would look into these guitars because they have very good potential. The neck is amazing, and they are easy to use.
a valve jr combo ($150) and a fender MIM strat (maybe used $300).

Now THAT would be some nice gear to start out with!
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
Okay, well I think I've decided on a Roland Microcube, I've heard that Valve Jr's are also very good but I've looked around a bit and I think a Roland Microcube will suit my needs better.

Thanks for the help on the amp all.

Now I just can't decide what guitar to get, I've whittled it down to either the Ibanez RG321, the Ibanez RG2EX1, the Schecter Omen 6 or an Ibanez GRX20. Could you guys please tell me of some pros/cons of these guitars to help me make a decision? Thanks for all your help so far guys, you've been great and it's really appreciated.
You are like a hurricane
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
get a baby ml and amp pack
Spear Gladius II
Squire Standard Stratocaster LTD ED c/w hotrails
Squire Deluxe Strat c/w Hotrails
Dean Baby V
Tanglewood Acoustic
Bugera 333 Head
Laney Cab Vintage 30's
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2
Boss MT-2 (modified)
Marshall Jackhammer
Quote by CEREBRAL-INFERN
get a baby ml and amp pack

What's a baby ml?
You are like a hurricane
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
here it is

you can get them for about $400 (£200) amp guitar strap and lead

they are smaller than a regular standard guitar easier for younger new guitarist with smaller hands
Spear Gladius II
Dean Baby V
Tanglewood Acoustic
Bugera 333 Head
Laney Cab Vintage 30's
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2
Boss MT-2 (modified)
Marshall Jackhammer
Quote by CEREBRAL-INFERN
here it is

you can get them for about $400 (£200) amp guitar strap and lead

they are smaller than a regular standard guitar easier for younger new guitarist with smaller hands

Hehe it looks like the guitar from Guitar Hero :p. Have you played one and would recommend it?
You are like a hurricane
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
i have played a standard size dean ml an they are a good all rounder, i think the bodies are too cumbersome on the standard size ones, so if i was getting one i would get a baby ml, but thats just my preference
Spear Gladius II
Dean Baby V
Tanglewood Acoustic
Bugera 333 Head
Laney Cab Vintage 30's
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2
Boss MT-2 (modified)
Marshall Jackhammer
Quote by acdcrocks0323
The micro cube would not be the best for those styles. Get a Vox AD15VT and a Epiphone G-400 and call it a day. I wish i could have had that setup as a starter.

Hmmmm....I think I'd rather get a Schecter Omen 6 or an Ibanez RG321 or something and a microcube than that, thanks for the input though.

Any other suggestions people, please feel free.
You are like a hurricane
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Dang, I went to all the guitar shops in the town where I live and none of them have ANY Schecters or Yamaha's or Ibanez's. This means all I can pick from is basically a Squire Strat or Tele, or an Epiphone Les Paul or Epiphone SG. Which out of these would be the best choice?
You are like a hurricane
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Pmub.
You are like a hurricane
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
maybee a yahmaha pacifica 112 and a roland cube, its good setup to start out or also a epiphone starter pack, and squires are good
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA
Quote by Iceman 420
Schecter Omen 6 and a Roland Micro-cube.

Do that only get an Ibanez. Ibanez > all.