Do you guys think that people with natural athleticism and hand-eye coordination improve their guitar playing faster than someone who doesn't have those innate traits. If you have great hand-eye coordination do you think you learn quicker than friends whose hand-eye coordination isn't very good?

I played baseball for 5 years, tennis for 6 years, soccer for 1 year, basketball for 2 or 3 years, martial arts for close to 3 years, and I have a friend who sucks at sports and plays the guitar but he doesn't seem to improve as fast because he has more trouble moving around the fretboard and keeping his left hand in sync with his right hand. That's not to say he can't become an awesome guitar player, it just might take some more time--that's all. Or maybe his guitar ability has nothing to do with what I'm suggesting...

Also, do you guys think ambidextrous individuals have an easier time learning the guitar? I'm ambidextrous as well and it seems to help out quite a bit because I am used to doing things with both hands. Any other ambidextrous players out there who would like to share their thoughts on this?
I wish I was ambidextrous. Then I could alternate hands when taking down notes. This will surely impress all the hot chicks sitting behind me in class.
Quote by Metal claw
I wish I was ambidextrous. Then I could alternate hands when taking down notes. This will surely impress all the hot chicks sitting behind me in class.

Indeed it would
Quote by Metal claw

And you can also wank two guys at the same time.
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
Quote by ..NEM..
And you can also wank two guys at the same time.

Yes, but I'm quite confident that I can still do that despite my right-handedness.

In my opinion, wanking a penis is pretty much the same as turning the Coarse Adjustment Knob of a microscope. My left hand can do it without a problem.
What an odd thread.

You might have an easier time getting down the right-left hand sync, but beyond that, I don't think you have many advantages. To my knowlege, there are no sports in which the fingers are used actively. Except e-sports, if you want to count that in. Hand-eye coordination will only get you that far. When learning to play the guitar, it's more about coordinating the different fingers around the fretboard, and I don't think much eye-hand coordination is in play. Also, if you want to be a good player, you'll want to be able to play with your eyes closed. So...
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by Raziel2p
What an odd thread.

You might have an easier time getting down the right-left hand sync, but beyond that, I don't think you have many advantages. To my knowlege, there are no sports in which the fingers are used actively. Except e-sports, if you want to count that in. Hand-eye coordination will only get you that far. When learning to play the guitar, it's more about coordinating the different fingers around the fretboard, and I don't think much eye-hand coordination is in play. Also, if you want to be a good player, you'll want to be able to play with your eyes closed. So...

I love creating odd threads, haha. I can type about 80+wpm so I guess that helps with my finger speed--I can thank "e-sports" for that one : )
Nah, sport is a completely different type of hand eye co-ordination, much broader movements.

The ambidextrous thing could help though.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Im dyspraxic and don't really have a problem with playing guitar. I can only play tennis backhand though.
I'm very clumsy and I suck at literally every single sport, including darts, poker and chess (which I don't consider sports, but they still show them on sports TV channels)

But I've had no big issues with guitar. I've been playin for 5 years, I've just gotten used to it. If I know a song, I can play it without looking. I'm used to the scale length and where the frets are